The biggest worry for us! Pet owners! Is that we have long working hours at work and we also have to make sure our beloved fluffies are fed well. Thankfully the wide variety of automatic cat feeders available in the market helps us in resolving this issue.
So, Do you want to know which are the 10 best automatic cat feeders? To make our judgment regarding which are the best, we have to first have to learn about the features that make an automatic cat feeder best. Features like portion management, storage capacity, number of daily meals, power supply, user-friendly interface, and so on.
We have reviewed our top 10 automatic cat feeders based on specific criteria’s mentioned in the article. And have made a table of our top 5 picks among them.
Comparison Between Our Top 5 Picks for Best Automatic Cat Feeders
|PETKIT Automatic Pet Feeder||9.5||Yes|
|Amzdeal Automatic Cat Feeder 6L Pet Feeder||9.2||No|
|Homdox Automatic Cat Feeder Pet Food Dispenser||9.0||No|
|Iseebiz Automatic Cat Feeder 3L Pet Food Dispenser||8.7||No|
|WOpet 7L Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser||8.6||No|
1. PETKIT Automatic Pet Feeder
- Manufacturer: PETKIT
- Weight: 3 pounds
- Dimensions: 5 x 8.8 x 19.7 inches
- Being Wi-Fi enabled gives you complete control over your pet’s diet, no matter where you are.
- Comes with a double fresh food lock design that keeps your kitty’s food fresh.
- Can easily store up to 6 pounds of your beloved friend’s food.
- It is designed after extensive research so that the feeder never gets stuck and your furball keeps getting the food on time.
- You can control this feeder with your voice due to its compatibility with ALEXA.
- PETKIT’s own mobile application allows you to gain valuable insights about your cat.
- Has a backup battery which automatically gets enabled whenever the feeder is low on power.
- Its food level alert system helps you in keeping check of your kitty’s meal and fill it up in a timely manner.
- You can setup up to 10 meals per day for your beloved friend.
- Has unique features that depend heavily on the Wi-Fi, so it is not as efficient without a Wi-Fi connection.
- Can be challenging to get used to for people that don’t have sufficient command over the mobile devices.
2. Amzdeal Automatic Cat Feeder 6L Pet Feeder
- Manufacturer: Amzdeal
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Dimensions: 3 x 8.6 x 13.7 inches
- Provide flexibility in meal portions as you can select from 1 to 39 portions per meal.
- You can setup up to 4 meals per day at any time.
- Disassemble design helps you to keep it clean and safe for your beloved friend easily.
- Can be powered through both USB and batteries, opting for both will keep it on for longer and keep your pets fed.
- Comes with a built-in speaker and voice recorder that can record your voice and call your pets for a meal in your voice.
- Comes with an 18 months warranty which can be claimed from the company directly.
- Provides you a 6-pound pet food storage capacity.
- Can’t serve wet cat food through it, it is only suitable for serving dry cat food.
- You can only setup up to 4 meals per day, which is much less than the offerings of other brands.
- Has no built-in food alert system, so you have to check the food storage status manually every day.
- Can’t monitor while away from home due to no Wi-Fi functionality.
3. Homdox Automatic Cat Feeder Pet Food Dispenser
- Manufacturer: Homdox
- Weight: 3.8 pounds
- Dimensions: 12.6 x 9.3 x 8.3 inches
- Has a user-friendly setting panel that lets you easily setup feeding time, volume, and your voice message.
- Customize feeding portion gives you flexibility, as you can select from 1 to 39 portions per meal.
- The accurate meal dispensing feature makes sure that your pets are fed accurately and regularly.
- It Is smart cat-proof due to its screwed lid, so the food container can only be accessed through human hands.
- Gives you peace of mind as it memorizes the last saved setting mode, so if you want to prolong your away trip, feel free to do so as it will take care of your fluffy’s dietary requirements.
- Dual powered through USB and batteries to keep your pet’s feeding schedule uninterrupted due to power outages.
- Comes with a 90-day full refund policy, and an 18-month company guarantees.
- Comes with free grooming brush and pet de-shedding tool.
- Has the limit to schedule only four meals per day.
- Has no built-in food storage alert system to inform you about food storage status.
- Only compatible with dry food servings.
- Not Wi-Fi enabled and no monitoring features.
4. Iseebiz Automatic Cat Feeder 3L Pet Food Dispenser
- Manufacturer: Iseebiz
- Weight: 7 pounds
- Dimensions: 6 x 9.4 x 8.3 inches
- Voice recorder lets you record your voice for up to 10 seconds, which will play on every meal time.
- Can setup up to 4 meals a day, which is excellent if you want to change your fluffy’s diet routine.
- Has a leakproof storage container that helps in keeping the food fresh.
- Wide variety in terms of portion sizes as you can choose from 39 different options.
- Dual power supply through a power adapter and battery backup.
- An infrared sensor helps in accurately delivering the set portion size and prevents overflowing of food.
- Very easy to program due to its user-friendly interface.
- Your cat can’t hook out any food from it due to its sturdy design.
- Great for cats with obesity problem as limited portion size and meal times will help in chalking off some extra weight.
- Trying to accurately measure the food storage status in comparison with other brands.
- Has some design flaws that make it difficult to clean it properly.
- Suitable for dry foods only.
- No Wi-Fi or monitoring feature.
5. WOpet 7L Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser
- Manufacturer: WOpet
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Dimensions: 7 x 9.8 x 15.3 inches
- Has a unique, simple, and sleek design for easy operating.
- Gives you ample options when it comes to selecting the portion size of your fluffy’s meals.
- Has a large storage capacity that can store up to 20 cups of food.
- Custom voice message recording for playing at every meal time.
- Dual power as you can either power it through adapter or batteries.
- Is suitable for serving dry cat food.
- The storage container can be easily removed for efficient cleaning.
- Ideal for cats that are having obesity problems.
- Is suitable for all size of household pets.
- Can’t serve your kitty’s wet food through it.
- Only four meal options per day, which are less than other brands offerings.
- No food level alert system, so you have to check it manually every time.
- Doesn’t have Wi-fi functionality, so can’t be controlled when you’re away from home.
- Certain dry foods can’t be dispensed through it.
6. Petnet SmartFeeder, Automatic Pet Feeder
- Manufacturer: Petnet
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Dimensions: 22 x 12.6 x 12.3 inches
- Comes with built-in battery backup that ensures the supply of power and accurate serving of meals.
- It is made from high quality and durable material to keep the food fresh and out of the reach of your fluffy friend.
- Removable parts provide you the convenience in cleaning and keep it bacteria-free.
- It can be controlled with Android and iOS devices.
- Has a built-in storage alert sensor that timely notifies you for refilling purposes.
- Offers highly personalized portion recommendation for your beloved fluffy friend by providing their information.
- Compatibility with smart systems like Google Assistant, Nest, and Amazon Alexa.
- Can easily store up to 7 Pounds of dry cat food.
- You can change the feeding schedule and portion size from your smartphone anytime.
- Comes with a 12 months limited warranty.
- It is designed to serve only one pet per feeder.
- It is not recommended for pets that weigh over 60 pounds.
- Has some significant design flaws like shallow feed tray, transport conveyor belt, and so on.
7. Arf Pets Automatic Pet Feeder Food Dispenser
- Manufacturer: Arf Pets
- Weight: 57 pounds
- Dimensions: 1 x 11 x 8.3 inches
- Removable parts allow you to clean it properly and keep it germ-free.
- Its very sturdy and durable due to the high quality of material used.
- Has a dual power supply from power cables and backup batteries for continuous feeding.
- Has a large storage capacity of up to 18 cups of dry pet food.
- Highly customizable meal schedules and portion sizes for your beloved friend.
- Suitable for household pets like cats, dogs, and so on.
- Has magnetic lid protection that delivers the meal and portion in the accurate quantity.
- Voice message recording features ensure your cat comes quickly for the meal time.
- Easy to set up and modify through its simple user interface.
- No built-in sensor installed to notify you about the current storage level.
- Has no Wi-Fi or smart functionalities to help you control from afar.
- Like most feeders, it is also incompatible with the wet pet food.
- Limited meal times of up to 4 per day.
8. PortionProRX Automatic Pet Feeder
- Manufacturer: PortionProRX
- Weight: 12 pounds
- Dimensions: 3 x 12.2 x 13.4 inches
- Ideal for both single and multiple pet households.
- Have a patented RFID TAG SYSTEM that is very helpful in diet control when you have multiple pets.
- You can easily schedule up to 6 meal times per day.
- Prevents chaos and food stealing at the time of feeding.
- Easy to set up and use due to its user-friendly interface.
- Has a large storage bin that can easily hold up to 32 cups of dry kibble.
- Helps your pet in fighting obesity by regulating their portion size and meal times.
- Saves you money by avoiding overfeeding.
- Saves you from expensive vet bills in case of overweight cats.
- Portion sizes from a ½ cup to 6 cups can be easily programmed.
- Has a built-in food level sensor that notifies you about the food storage status.
- Very easy to clean due to removable parts.
- Dual power supply with an internal backup battery enabled.
- It takes around 10 seconds to close when a cat is done eating, which gives plenty of time for other cats to steal their food.
- A bit noisier than the available brands in the market.
9. Homegrace 5.5L Automatic Pet Feeder with Voice Message Recording
- Manufacturer: Homegrace
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Dimensions: 5 x 7.5 x 7.5 inches
- The new version comes with a bigger feeding mouth that has made the food flow easy.
- Comes with a clear LCD display and smart timer.
- Voice recording features allow you to record your feeding time message for your beloved friend.
- Support dual power supply to keep it running in case of any power outages.
- Can store up to 5 liters of dry kibble easily.
- Is very easy to clean and maintain due to its easily removable parts.
- Comes with a large bowl which makes feeding easy.
- Ideal for household pets like dogs, cats, and so on.
- Highly durable and sturdy and can’t be overturned easily by your beloved pets.
- ABS plastics materials which are highly resistant to impact and heat.
- Has ROHS, CE, and FCC certifications.
- Great for pets dealing with obesity, as it controls their diet routines and helps them in reducing excessive weight.
- Installation and usage instruction are not clear and need rewriting.
- Only three meals per day can be set up through this dispenser.
- Food often gets stucks in the channel.
10. PetSafe 5-Meal Pet Feeder
- Manufacturer: Petsafe
- Weight: 1 pounds
- Dimensions: 15 x 5 x 18 inches
- Dishwasher-safe food trays for easy and convenient cleaning for busy pet owners.
- Well known brand in the industry of pet behavior, lifestyle products, and containment.
- Can set up five different meal times a day.
- Easily adjust portion size according to your pet’s feeding requirements.
- Runs on 4 D batteries, so you don’t have to worry about the power outages.
- Promotes healthy eating habits and fights obesity.
- Easy to use digital timer is the least complex product available in the market.
- Has a manual button if you want to serve the meal immediately.
- Suspend button stops feeding your scheduled meals without losing your setup of mealtimes.
- The storage capacity of up to 5 cups of dry food.
- BPA-free plastic construction.
- Has a single power supply.
- No Wi-Fi feature to monitor from afar.
- No built-in storage status alert system.
- It is not designed for bigger pets like dogs.
- Have to replace batteries more often as it’s the only source of power for this dispenser.
Selecting the Best Automatic Cat Feeder
Choosing the best automatic cat feeder is not as easy as choosing a water dispenser for your home. The main reason behind this is the variety of options available in the market and numerous technologically advanced features each of them offers. So we have to select the few best ones first and then compare them thoroughly before making the final decision of purchasing.
The significant criteria’s to look for when you go looking for the best available feeders in the market should be customer reviews and ratings available on retail and product review sites. The Internet has made our life much easier in many ways, and we should take full advantage of it.
Yes, every product will have some dissatisfied customers but make sure you select the ones that have fewer negative reviews and more satisfied customers. Also, if you have any doubt, don’t include those products in your shortlist that have very few customer reviews. Ideally, opt for the product that has at least 50 plus reviews on major retail sites like Amazon.
Also, make sure that the brand you select is known for its credibility in the market and has a good reputation. Furthermore, the manufacturing process should be environment-friendly by using the latest technologies to minimize waste production. Harmful chemicals like BPA should not be used during the manufacturing of the product, and it should have pet-safe certification.
Now let’s discuss the different types of cat feeders that are available in the market.
Types of Automated Cat Feeders
The following are the four significant types of cat feeders that you can opt for your fluffy friend. Each comes with their own unique advantages:
Smart Feeders Wi-Fi Enabled
They are gaining more popularity with every passing day, as it provides the owner to control the feeders via mobile applications. They are Wi-Fi enabled, which means you can control them from anywhere provided that you have a Wi-Fi connection. You can easily go away on a business trip, gathering, etc. and control your cats feeding portions and feedings times from there easily.
They come with specially designed mobile applications that provide you a recommendation for feeding appropriate portions based on your cat’s information (breed, gender, age, and so on). Setup is a bit more complicated than traditional cat feeders, but don’t worry as most of us are fully aware of using smartphone applications. The availability of a stable Wi-Fi connection is a must, and without a stable Wi-Fi, it’s just like the simple cat feeders available in the market.
These type of cat dispensers automatically refill the food if your cat eats it, and is ideal for those cats that need to have access to food throughout the day. Beware, this type of cat dispenser is only suitable for cats that are well-disciplined in their meal intake and don’t tend to overeat.
If your cat requires a constant supply of food and you have long working hours, first try to make them discipline in their feeding if they are already great! Then these types of feeders will be ideal for both of you. Your cats will get a constant supply of food, and you will stay worried free throughout the day. But, avoid it if your cat has a habit of overeating as it will quickly gain extra pounds that will create an obesity problem.
Modifiable Cat Feeders
Modifiable cat feeders let you control the feeding portion and feeding times for your cats. They usually come with large storage capacity around 9 – 10 pounds of dry kibble. These feeders are great for establishing a regular diet routine for your cat, as it allows you to control how much food will be given and at what times of the days they should be given.
Cat with an obesity problem can easily chalk off some extra pounds by following a healthy diet routine. Feed smaller amounts to cats with overweight issues and bigger portions to cats that need to gain some weight.
Feeders with Infrared Sensors
These types of feeders are ideal for pet owners that have multiple pets in their household. They come with an infrared ID that can be attached to your cat’s collar; the food only comes out when a cat with a registered ID comes near it (usually 2 feet). An ideal option for multiple pet owners as usually every pet has its own dietary requirements, and this feeder lets you control it even when you are away from home. The only drawback is that the lid takes around 10 seconds to go back when your registered cat has eaten its meal. So, the other cats can steal some leftovers during that time period.
Features that should be present in Best Cat Feeders
There is not an ideal cat feeder that caters to all the specific needs your fluffy friend has, but there are certain features that the best cat feeder should definitely have. Learning about these will help you identify the best feeder for your beloved fluffy friend.
In order to be considered among the best automatic cat feeder, it should be made from high-quality material. The feeder should be durable and sturdy enough to handle the aggressive abuse of our cats. As they will do their best to take food out from it. Ideally, the food container shouldn’t be transparent, so it will not tempt our cats to go for it. The feeders that are designed for both cats and dogs tend to be more durable and sturdy, as they are created by keeping in mind the strength of dogs.
The best automatic cat feeder should have a User-friendly interface that is easily understood by pet owners. The programming should not be of a complex level, and one can easily setup meal times and portion sizes. Easy programming is beneficial for the pet owners as it will save their time and don’t have to read long instruction documents in order to operate it properly.
All the best automatic cat feeders should provide you ample options when it comes to selecting various portion sizes for your beloved fluffy friend. Usually, most cat feeders offer up to 39 different portions sizes which are sufficient enough to cater to all the cat’s dietary requirements. The process of portion management should be simple so that you can easily program various portions sizes for your cat’s every day nutritional requirements. Through this, you will be able to provide full nutrition and avoid any wastages of food.
Ease of Cleaning
Why are you purchasing a cat feeder in the first place? Because you have limited time to spend with your fluffy friend in the first place. So, imagine what will it be like to spend further time in cleaning it. The best cat feeders are the ones that come with removable parts that can be taken out for easy cleaning within 1 – 2 minutes. As you have to make sure that the feeding bowls and storage containers are always clean and germ-free. The cleaning process should never be a chore, and you can get more quality time to spend with your fluffy friend.
Storage Status Update
The best automatic cat feeder should have a built-in storage status update system that notifies you in a timely manner to refill it. As you don’t want to face a situation when you have to stay out for long, and the feeder is empty. Isn’t that the core reason you purchased a cat feeder? Always look for feeders that offer this feature and especially the ones that alert you through some sound notification so that it quickly gets your attention. As sometimes due to our busy lifestyles, we often forget to take a look at a display notification on the feeder.
Dual Power Supply
This is another major feature to look for in best automated cat feeders. As the best ones should come with a dual power supply one through an AC adapter / USB cable and other through batteries. There are two types of batteries one that is internally fitted and can be charged, and others are removable 3 & 4 D batteries. Ideally, you should go for the one that has a built-in internal battery as you don’t have to worry about replacing every now and then. Having a Battery backup gives you the ease of mind that your automatic cat feeder will work continuously even in the case of any unseen power outages. And your fluffy friend will get all the nutrition on time, which will help them in staying active and healthy.
How many times a day should you feed your cat?
The right answer for this question of appropriate daily dosage for your cat depends on several factors, like their age, breed, size, dietary requirements, activity levels, and so on. For healthy adult cats, you can feed them once or twice daily without any problems. Whereas, for kittens, you need to provide them a constant supply of fresh food. Cats with Obesity problems can benefit from numerous small portions around 4 – 6 times a day. Before making a decision by yourself, always make sure to consult with your local veterinarian about their dieting schedule.
How do you set an automatic cat feeder?
Each automatic cat feeder has its own setup requirements, like smart cat feeders that are Wi-fi enabled are generally more complex than simple automatic cat feeders. In general, the first thing you would do is to fill food in its food container. Then, you’ll get the option to choose how much food you want to serve in each meal. Then you’ll have to decide the times these meals will be dispensed. That’s it! The machine will do the remaining work. You just have to make sure your refill and clean it on a regular basis.
Is there an automatic cat feeder for wet food?
Yes, there are some automatic cat feeders that serve wet cat food, but their numbers are minimal in comparison with dry food feeders. The wet food feeders come with an inbuilt ice pack, that lasts for about 6 hours. It is ideal to feed your fluffy friend with both dry and wet food every day. These feeders come with two sections one for dry and one for wet food, which ensures that your pet gets both food variants every day without any inconveniences.