Are you looking to buy or replace a betta fish tank?
The web is filled with fish tanks, so finding the perfect one can be a hassle.
But you are in luck today because this guide contains everything you’d want to know about betta fish tanks.
Check out the list of the best betta fish tanks below:
Best Betta Fish Tanks 2019
1. Penn Plax Vertex Desktop Aquarium Kit
Penn Plax is a company that has been in business since 1959. They are known for creating satisfying products at a reasonable price. They have a wide range of products for aquariums, birds, cats, dogs, and other small animals. They began their company by creating products for aquariums, so choosing a product for an aquarium would be an advantage. Since they only create quality products, you be assured that their vertex desktop aquarium kit is a great pick.
The Penn Plax Vertex Desktop Aquarium Kit is great for any novice aquarist because it has the best betta fish tank setup. It is a great fit for any small fish, especially a betta fish. Since it is made with a frameless and stunning curved designed, it allows for the best view possible.
- Comes with everything you need (Glass tank, hang on the water filter, thermometer, and fishnet)
- Perfect for a newbie
- It is only designed for 2.7 gal
- Not the best filter to work with
2. EcoQube Aquarium – Desktop Betta Fish Tank For Living Office And Home Décor
EcoQube’s most valuable mission is to reconnect people with our environment. They are determined to be a part of the better change and solve problems altogether. All of their products are constructed thoughtfully and precisely.
Their desktop betta fish tank follows their mission perfectly by bringing nature and living décor to your desk and home. This fish tank is a little more on the pricey side, but it is worth the investment because it is a handmade, flame polished, and small aquarium kit. It comes with an integrated aquaponics aquarium filter, aquarium sand, aquarium mountain stone decoration, magnetic glass cover, wireless remote control, customizable LED full spectrum hue lights, and basil seeds.
- Great for your office or home
- Has a 1 year warranty
- It is a low maintenance ecosystem
- Only holds one betta fish
3. Umbra FishHotel Mini Aquarium, Great for Goldfish, Bettas, and Other Small Fish, 1.8 Gallon
Umbra is a global housewares product design company founded in 1979. Umbra is known for creating a vast number of products with originality. They develop thoughtful designs for everyday items. With umbra, nothing becomes boring!
Umbra has found a way to make fish tanks more appealing by creating and developing a FishHotel Mini Aquarium. This FishHotel Mini Aquarium is stackable with a unique and striking modern design. It contains removable windows so that it becomes easy to clean.
- Outer shell can be painted to match home or office
- Individual units can be stacked together
- Holds 1.5 gallons of water
- It is small so it can’t hold much
4. ISWEES Betta Fish Tank Complete Aquarium Kit, All Acrylic 4-Gallon, With Betta Fish Accessories
This is a 5mm thick acrylic handmade fish tank with plenty of space inside. This is great for a betta fish because it can hold about 4 gallons of water, so your betta fish will love the space! This fish tank includes a bright touch sensitive LED top light that let you have the best view possible for your betta fish. It also comes with a 12V1A Power Adaptor, 1.8L/M Silent Air Pump, XY-180 Sponge Filter, 25W Mini Heater, and 20″ Airline Tubing.
- It is super easy to set up! (Will take about 20 minutes or less)
- It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- It comes with a 1 Year Warranty
- The water filter that it comes with is not the best because it does not move around the water
5. MarineLand Silhouette Glass 3 Gallon LED Aquarium Kit
MarineLand invented this next fish tank. Their story began in 1968 with Robert Sherman. Sherman was an avid collector and breeder of tropical fish since childhood. He then partnered with Marineland of the Pacific, and they began developing products that demonstrated and pursued the idea of the art and science of fish keeping. They are key to delivering superior customer service and quality products.
MarineLand’s Silhouette Glass 3 Gallon LED Aquarium Kit is great for those who are beginners because it is really easy to set up. It has one of the best adjustable filters to keep the aquarium clean and healthy. One of the great things about this tank is that it hides the filtration and lighting system.
- Has an advanced 3-stage filtration to keep the water clean and healthy
- Has an easy access to the tank
- The LED lighting system is energy efficient and money saving
- It does not come with a lid to place on top
6. Tetra LED Cube Shaped 3 Gallon Aquarium with Pedestal Base
Tetra is a company that has been around since 1951. They are constantly discovering and studying what keeps fish, reptiles, amphibians, ponds, and aquatic plants thriving through a long, healthy life. They too are hobbyist wanting to have and share the best life-long aquatic experience.
The Tetra LED Cube Shaped 3 Gallon Aquarium is also ideal for starters. It is equipped with a Tetra 3i filter that helps tremendously to keep the water clean and healthy. This tank allows for the best view because it is transparent on all sides. You also do not have to worry about cracks or shatters because it is made a clear plastic.
- Has a low voltage power adapter
- No international shipping
- You need a heater for the betta fish
7. Aqueon LED MiniBow Aquarium Starter Kits with LED Lighting
Aqueon is a company that was conducted and developed by real aquatic hobbyists. Their goal is to do “what is best for the health and well-being of fish and aquatic life.” They believe that keeping the fish healthy and happy will also result in all of our happiness.
Their LED MiniBow Aquarium Starter Kit has a divider in case you want to have two betta fishes. It comes with a LED lighting that has a feeding hole and a filtration. This fish tank comes in 1, 2.5, and 5 gallons for those who love the variety of options.
- Provides a lot of room for your betta fish
- The filter can be a little loud
- The filter is going to have to be replaced about every 4 to 6 weeks
8. AquaView 3.5-Gallon Fish Tank with Power Filter and LED Lighting
The company KollerCraft made this fish tank. KollerCraft is a family owned business dedicated to provide quality, innovative pet products. KollerCraft were the ones who produced the desktop aquarium, offering a whole new take to fish tanks.
Their AquaView 3.5-Gallon Fish Tank with Power Filter contains an internal power filter that is powerful enough to purify and clean the water at a flow rate of 25 gallons per hour. It is made with plastic that is fully see through, so you will never know the difference between the plastic and glass. It is also very easy and simple to set up. All you will need are 3 AAA batteries and a Hawkeye 5V Power Adapter.
- It will fit and look good wherever it is placed
- With this tank, you can say goodbye to leaks
- The lights included will illuminate your betta fish
- At the back of the filter, there are holes that can get clogged (it is essential to clean the holes)
9. Marina CUBUS Glass Betta Kit
This Marina CUBUS Glass Betta Kit is a small glass aquarium with a LED clip-on lamp. The lamp is energy efficient and has a flexible neck. It also contains a unique pedestal base that works great for protection.
- It is only a 0.9-gallon aquarium
- You can put it anywhere you like and it will look great
- It is only a 0.9 gallon aquarium (not a lot of space)
- There is no on/off switch for the light
10. Fluval Spec III Aquarium Kit, 2.6-Gallon
Fluval has been one of the top picks for many hobbyists for over 35 years. They developed technically advanced, innovative products that are easy to use, durable, and convenient for anyone.
This is a 2.6 gallon Nano aquarium perfect for any person to use. This aquarium is made with etched-glass and aluminum trim. It contains a Powerful 3-stage oversized mechanical, chemical and biological filtration that works well to keep the water fresh, clean, and healthy. It also comes with an overhanging lighting system, powerful circulation pump, porous foam block, and an activated carbon and BioMax bio rings.
- The filter does not make a loud, annoying sound
- The light and lid are very easy to remove when you want to clean it
- You have to adjust the filter for your betta fish
- Does not come with a heater
- The instructions may be a little difficult to follow or read
Set Up a Betta Fish Tank Buyer’s Guide (Video)
1. What is the best tank size to get for my betta fish?
The bigger the tank you can get the better because betta fishes love to swim around and have a lot of space. Ideally, you should aim for a tank that can hold at least 1 gallon.
2. Does shape matter when choosing the right tank?
Your betta fish will not care about the shape. The shape of the tank is more for you and what works best for you.
3. Do I have to clean the tank before using it?
It is important to clean the tank with warm water before you use it so that you can get rid of any contaminants that are in the tank.
4. What should I add first to the fish tank?
We suggest you adding first clean gravel, then the décor, and after the water.
5. How do I set up the water inside?
Fill the tank with tap water and then let it sit for about 24 hours. Then, add a good conditioner.
6. Can I add aerate to my tank?
It is best that you do not add aerate to the tank because it will cause your betta fish to become stressed. Betta fishes love to swim around in still water, so the turbulence from the aerate will just cause conflict.
7. Can a Betta fish just live in a vase?
A vase does not allow for much room, so betta fishes can’t live in vases. Betta fishes are naturally active. Also, since there is not a lot of water, it can easily end up toxic and contaminated. So, it is recommended to look for the best betta fish tanks.
8. How long will a betta fish live for?
Most betta fishes live between 2 to 5 years.
9. Can I put multiple betta fishes together in the tank?
You can put multiple fishes together but it is not recommended because betta fishes are naturally aggressive and territorial. Male betta fishes are also known to fight until one of them dies. If you decide that you want more fishes, you should choose to add a different fish besides a betta fishes. If you do decide to add another fish with your betta fish, you need to make a slow introduction.
10. Do I have to add a heater in the tank?
Betta fishes live in temperatures between 78-82F degrees, so it is recommended if the water gets quite cold. If it gets too cold for the betta fishes, they can end up getting sick.
11. Do I have to add a filter to my tank?
Having a filter is best for a betta fish, but it can live with out one. All you have to do is make sure you are constantly cleaning the water to keep it clean and healthy.
12. How often should I clean my tank?
If your tank does not have a filter, then you should clean it at least 3-4 times a week. If your tank does have a filter, then you should clean it about once a week.
13. How do I know if my betta fish is happy in the tank I have chose.
You know your betta fish is happy and healthy if you betta fish is swimming in a horizontal fashion with its head elevated, swimming throughout the whole aquarium effortlessly, breathing in a normal fashion, and not hiding in corners.
14. Is the filter inside my tank working?
The filter should be processing all of the water in the tank in about 3 to 5 times an hour.
15. What type of heater can I put in my fish tank?
It is best to get an aquarium heater with about 5 watts of power for each gallon of water. Wait about 15 minutes, after you put in the water in, to turn on the heater.
16. Does the height of the tank matter?
The height of your tank only matters when you want to put live plants in it because plants need space to grow.
17. Can I keep the light inside the tank on all day?
It is best not to leave the lights all day because betta fishes require periods of darkness.
18. Can I buy a tank that is not covered?
It is best to buy a fully covered tank because betta fishes can jump out.
19. How can I test my water?
You can test your water by yourself or go to PetSmart so they can tell you if it is balanced and safe.
20. Can I clean the tank or décor with soap?
Never clean the tank or décor with soaps or detergent.