If you have ever visited an aquarium store, you may have noticed a bow front aquarium. Being new to aquariums or new to the bow front, you may want to investigate this style. This guide will provide you with valuable information to pick one of the best bowfront aquariums.
List of 10 Best Bow Front Aquariums
40 Gallon Bowfront Aquarium (Video)
What is different about bow front aquariums?
Unlike a regular rectangular aquarium, a bow front aquarium has a front that bows outward in the middle. This bow creates a beautifully curved look which gives the aquarium more depth than the traditionally designed aquarium.
What are the available sizes of a bow front aquarium?
The smallest bow front aquarium is under a gallon-sized tank. If a person wants a custom aquarium, he or she could probably order any size bow front aquarium. If a person wants to save money and buy a more standard unit, a variety of sizes including 16, 26, 36, 46, 54, and 72 gallons are available.
Should I purchase a bow front or standard rectangular aquarium?
If you want an aquarium that stands out, a bow front may be the wisest choice for you. The best bow front aquariums are known for amazing people even before animals are inside.
What benefits come from having a bow front aquarium?
The best feature from a bow front aquarium is the aesthetically pleasing look. The depth allows the user to create a variety of different looks that could not be created with a standard aquarium.
What disadvantages come from having a bow front aquarium?
The bend in the aquarium’s glass bends the light which distorts picture images slightly. This distortion gets worse at the back of the tank. If you enjoy taking pictures of your fish, it may be beneficial to go with a more traditional tank.
What lighting is best for an aquarium?
The best lighting depends on the type of fish and animals in the aquarium. The light should be colored with a temperature range of 5,000 to 7,000 degrees Kelvin. This color temperature will provide extreme colors to your marine system.
Which aquarium stand should I use?
Water is extremely heavy so the sturdiest stand should be used to ensure it can handle the pressure. A variety of bow front aquariums withstand are available for purchase.
What temperature should I keep my tank?
If you plan to establish a tropical tank, the temperature has to be kept at 73 to 82 degrees Fahrenheit.
What is the pH balance?
Pondus Hydrongenii is the measurement of the effective acidity or alkalinity of a solution. pH is typically measured on a scale ranging from 0 to 14. If the number is closer to zero, the solution is more acidic. If the number is closer to fourteen, the solution is more basic.
What are the types of above-ground filtration are available?
The three types of above-ground filtration are mechanical, chemical, and biological. Biological filtration involves using bacteria to eliminate waste material in the tank. Mechanical filtration uses small particles to filter the water removing any media. Chemical filtration involves using carbon to remove any dissolved molecules from the tank’s water. For the best results, a combination of all three should be used in a bow front aquarium.
What is underground filtration?
A flat plate or screen is placed in the bottom of the aquarium leaving a space below it. Some form of filter media is placed in this space. Gravel is the most common type of filter media used in underground filtration systems. The system is set up so that water will pass down to the gravel and then back up to the surface through tubes.
What should I buy for my aquarium?
You need the actual aquarium, filter, gravel, external filters, air, heater, lights, and some form of cover for the tank.
What size aquarium should I purchase?
The size depends on the number of fish you plan to have. However, remember smaller tanks are harder to manage because toxins can build up quickly in the smaller tanks compared to larger tanks.
What else should I consider when choosing the size of an aquarium?
A full 15-gallon aquarium can weigh over 200 pounds. This fact means you will have to place it on a stand that is not in direct sunlight. The temperature outside the aquarium should not have extremes. The area around the tank may also get wet from time to time.
How many fish should I purchase?
If you are new to aquariums, it may be beneficial to start out with just a few small fish which are considered low maintenance. As you gain experience, you should then move on to the more complicated fish and animals. You can purchase a larger tank to increase in number after you have gained experience but will need to purchase another tank if you buy a smaller one.
Can fish sleep?
Studies have shown that fish do sleep and need sufficient darkness during the night to do so. It would be healthier for the fish to turn off the lights during the nighttime hours or have moonlighted.
Do fish grow according to the tank size?
This statement is false. A larger fish may be stunted if placed in a smaller tank but will not grow any more substantial in a bigger tank.
How long does it take for my tank to cycle?
A new aquarium can take from two to eight weeks to cycle the nitrite spike out and the nitrates to rise.
What is the best type of aquarium?
This question depends on your preferences. The best type of aquarium will depend on your primary goal of having a tank.
Where should I place my aquarium?
Your aquarium should be placed out of direct sunlight because sunlight will encourage bacteria to grow. You should place it in an area that will not be affected if water leaks or spills. You should also place a larger aquarium where it will be easy to reach all areas of the inside of the tank.
1) Interpet Fish Pod Moon Glass Aquarium
This bow front aquarium is a complete set for cold-water fish but can be upgraded to meet the needs of tropical fish. The fantastic front of this tank is a true curved glass which provides a fantastic panoramic view. The 15w fluorescent lamp offers strong daylight for your fish.
The filtration system is built into the hood which makes it easy to clean and operate. This aquarium also comes with a Bioactive Tapsafe which makes your tap water safe for fish by removing chlorine and other heavy metals.
- It comes with a 15-watt fluorescent bulb which may save energy.
- A stand is not needed with this aquarium which reduces storage space required.
- The filtration system is easy to clean and is built into the hood.
- This aquarium is too small for the safety of some fish.
- Due to the size, it may be hard to find the fish within the plants.
2) Aqueon 06439 Bow Front Aquarium
The Aqueon 06439 is an incredible bow front aquarium which carries up to 26 gallons of water. This size allows for multiple fish to be on display. The kit comes with a filtration system that comes with a starter cartridge. It also has a 50w heater which can be submerged.
The hood of the Aqueon comes with a full spectrum lamp to ensure your aquarium is beautiful during the day and night. It also comes with water conditioner and food, so you only have to purchase the fish.
- This aquarium is excellent for the beginner because it is complete with fish food and water conditioner.
- Multiple users say once the unit is set up, it is beautiful.
- With this size of aquarium, it is possible to have a wide variety of fish.
- Some reviewers have commented that the company is careless when packaging the unit.
- This aquarium can be hard for one person to set up because it weighs 44 pounds empty.
3) Aqueon Mini Bow Desktop Aquarium Kit
This mini bow aquarium is made from acrylic and comes with a filtration system. The 15w incandescent bulb works well with the aquarium light hood. This hood comes in black, red, or blue. If you are a betta lover, this tank is perfect for you.
This kit also comes with water conditioner and fish food, so the only other thing to purchase is fish. The size is small but is convenient for small spaces.
- This aquarium’s size makes it perfect for offices, dorms, or apartments.
- This system is complete and ready for fish out of the box.
- With a printed guide, the setup and maintenance of this tank are hassle-free.
- The 15w incandescent bulb has a shorter lifespan than a fluorescent bulb.
- Some users State they had to tinker with the filtration because of the speed of the current.
4) Tetra 29234 Half Moon Aquarium Kit
The Tetra has a half moon design with a flat back and bowed front. The lid of this aquarium is transparent and can be easily confused for packing material. It comes with a filter and a 50w heater. The LED lighting system is excellent for a variety of fish.
This aquarium was designed with Tetras in mind, so it is excellent for bettas and mollies also. With 10 gallons of water, the aquarium can handle three to four small fish comfortably.
- The size of this aquarium allows for a larger variety of animals
- This tank is tall which means it is excellent for rooms with limited space.
- The Tetra 29234 comes with a heater and filtration system.
- Because it is taller than it is wide, your fish options are limited to a certain extent.
- The lid for this tank is sometimes confused for packaging.
5) SeaClear System II Bow Front Acrylic Aquarium
This SeaClear System is one of the largest on this list with the capacity of 46 gallons. It has the space for a biological, chemical, or mechanical filter media or a combination of the three. This aquarium is quite light at only 20 pounds, but the size is beneficial.
This size allows the user to have a more extensive variety of fish or decorative items in the tank. If you are a first-time owner, you may want to consider a smaller container to begin your journey.
- The filtration system in this tank is one of the most efficient.
- The tank has a Turbulence Manifold feature which allows for excellent water circulation.
- A 420 gph submersible pump and a skimmer gate are included in the package.
- Since the tank is acrylic, you have to be careful when cleaning to avoid scratching it.
- This tank requires ample space for storage because of its size and dimensions.
6) Fluval Premium Bow Front Aquarium Kit
This premium Fluval kit has a low-profile canopy LED light. This light disperses 1470 Lumens which makes seeing the fish comfortable. The submersible M heater is European-made but has shock-resistant glass and mirror technology.
The C4 power filter is a five-stage filtration system which is industry-leading. A matching cabinet is available but is sold separately. Fish food, water treatments, net, thermometer and a guide are also included with this kit.
- This tank is versatile making it appropriate for both the beginner and expert.
- It comes with a low-profile canopy LED light which is an excellent light source.
- The filtration system in this tank is a C4 power filter.
- Without water, this tank weighs 104 pounds making it hard for one person to set it up.
- The Fluval premium comes with only a day light which requires a night light purchase or total darkness at night.
7) SeaClear Bow Front Acrylic Aquarium Combo Set
This SeaClear Bow Front comes with a 24” light fixture, the tank, and a reflector. The acrylic is clear and can be 17 times stronger than ordinary glass. Because the tank is made from acrylic, it only weighs 20 pounds before water is added.
The acrylic makes this aquarium safe around children and pets because it will not break as easy as glass. This aquarium has a frameless look which makes seeing the fish from all angles easier.
- This tank comes with a 24” light fixture and a reflector.
- It only weighs 20 pounds when empty making it easy to transport.
- The SeaClear Bow Front can be used for salt or freshwater fish and animals.
- It is made from acrylic which means the viewing area can be scratched easily.
- The top for this aquarium is fused making access to the inside tight.
8) Aqueon Deluxe LED Bow Front Aquarium Kit Black
Included with this tank is an LED energy efficient lamp with a slot for a second LED lamp. Black silicone was used to seal the edges of this aquarium. It can be used for freshwater or saltwater animals without hassle. The filtration system is extremely quiet when compared to other models.
The full hood is low-profile to allow for maximum light output. This kit comes with a heater, fish food, water conditioner, net, thermometer, and guide also.
- This kit comes with the tank, hood, LED light, and a filtration system.
- It also has a water conditioner sample and fish food inside the box.
- It is versatile and can be used for freshwater or saltwater fish.
- When the Aqueon Deluxe is empty, it weighs almost 70 pounds.
- The radius of the glass may force the user to place lights in exact locations to eliminate glares.
9) Fluval 15227 Bow Aquarium Kit
One of the key features of this aquarium includes being freshwater equipped. It is easy to set up which means beginners and experts can use it. It also comes with a low-profile canopy LED light which disperses 630 Lumens. This type of lighting is excellent for plants.
The five-stage filtration system has a Fluval C3 power filter. The 15227 comes with a submersible M heater made from shock-resistant glass to prevent it from breaking easily.
- This Fluval 15227 Bow Front is made in the USA with quality materials.
- This aquarium is perfect for the beginner or the expert aquarist.
- It is easy to setup and is affordable to operate after set up.
- This tank may need a stand which must be purchased separately.
- Because of its size, this tank may require ample space to set it up.
10) Penn Plax Deluxe Triple Betta Bow Aquarium Tank
This Penn Plax is the smallest tank on the list with only 0.7 gallons of water. This aquarium was designed for bettas which means it may not be appropriate for other varieties of fish. It comes with Pro-V crystals which help to absorb waste.
It has divided compartments to separate the aggressive fish. These compartments can be opaque or transparent. The filtration system is a grid which allows plants to be anchored. The tank only weighs 1.25 pounds empty which means it can be placed almost anywhere.
- This aquarium’s lighting system has two colors which allow you to transfer from night to day easily.
- It has a bottom drain which makes partial water changes easy and quick.
- It does not require an air pump, because this tank is so small.
- This Penn Plax bow front aquarium is limited to betta fish only.
- The light is battery operated and does not project the light out very well.