Cats are fussy creatures by nature and if they don’t get the right food which suits their needs, then that fussiness can easily change into nastiness in a matter of minutes.
But the main concern is to provide them with a healthy diet because cats usually have a long lifespan and they endure problems of old age just like humans. If no accident occurs, then a cat can easily live into its early twenties.
Bearing that in mind, their diet should be enough to provide nutrients which will help them stay healthy and make the best of their senior years. Here is the list of some best cat foods which will help your cat stay healthy and may help you in earning some brownie points in front of your cat.
Best Cat Foods for American Bobtails
|Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health||High||Good||Wet||Yes|
|Purina fancy feast cat threats||Medium||Good||Duos||Yes|
|Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Poultry & Beef ||High||Great||Wet||Yes|
|Meow Mix Tender Centers Dry Cat Food||High||Good||Dry||Yes|
|Hill's Ideal Balance Natural Cat Food||High||Good||Dry||No|
|Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Natural Kitten Dry Cat Food||High||Average||Dry||No|
| Purina Friskies Pate Adult Wet Cat Food Variety Pack||High||Great||Wet||No|
1. Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health Adult Canned Wet Cat Food
Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health Adult Canned Wet Cat Food is made with real chicken that helps in reducing the pH of urine. It also maintains the urinary tract health of your cat, the digestive system, and boosts the immune system.
During the time when my cat faced urinary issues, I switched to this food on the basis of its strong online reviews and surely it provided balanced nutrition and great taste to my cat. But don’t forget, such type of products should not be fed to pregnant cats.
|Chicken||Menadione Sodium Bisulfite||Ferrous Sulphate|
|Wheat gluten||Manganese Sulfate||Vitamin A supplement|
|Flavor||Vitamin B-12 Supplement|
|Potassium chloride||Folic Acid|
|Vitamin E supplement||Vitamin D-3 Supplement|
|Zinc Sulphate||Menadione Sodium Bisulfite|
- Great taste
- Solves bladder issues
- Recommended by vets
- Helps in digestion
- Boosts immune system
- Helps in bolstering your cat’s skin and coat
- Easy to open with a flip top
- This wet formula will help in rehydrating cats who refuse to drink water
- Shows great results
- The serving size is a bit small
- May not suit your cat, so either take a vet’s prescription or feed a little portion to your cat before giving it as a full-time meal
- Should only be given in case of urinary tract issues or crystal issues
2. Purina Fancy Feast Cat Treats
Purina fancy feast cat treats are salmon flavored treats with accents of parsley. It has a duos texture, crunchy and crispy on the outside and a soft meaty texture in the inside.
My pet absolutely loved the salmon flavor, and the crunchy and crispy texture helped her exercise her jaws and side teeth. Usually, owners feed their cats with wet treats, which doesn’t give the cats a chance to exert pressure on their jaws, causing face-jaw related issues when they get older.
Purina treat is the perfect solution for this problem and also it tastes great and providesgood nutrition to your cat.
However, remember the fact that this is a treat and cannot be replaced as a meal. Feed 1 treat per pound of the body weight of your cat andmake sure this product does not exceed 10% of the total calorie intake of the cat.
|Glycerin||Brewers dried yeast|
|Vitamin E||Citric Acid|
|Calcium carbonate||Yellow 6|
|Blue 1||Red 40|
- Great taste
- Awesome flavor
- Cats love it
- In-budget treats
- Help cat in jaw exercise
- Provide extra nutrients
- Does not upset the digestive system unlike many other treats present in the market
- Resealable pouch which helps in preserving the freshness of treats
- Portion size has to be monitored carefully
- Excess treats can result in weight gain for cats who do little to no exercise
3. Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Poultry & Beef Feast Collection Wet Cat Food
Give your cat the gourmet taste that she loves with Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Poultry & Beef Feast Collection wet cat food.
Available in chicken, turkey and beef flavor, this cat food gives a savory taste with rich gravy in every can. When I served this to my cat, for a change, she licked her dish clean and I can guarantee yours will, too. Also, this food will also make you feel good, being a cat owner, knowing your pal is safe and healthy because it’s one of the Amazon best sellers in cat food.
|Wheat gluten||Natural roasted turkey flavor||Potassium chloride|
|Meat by-products||Soy flour||Taurine|
|Chicken, corn starch-modified||Salt||Choline chloride|
|Vitamin E supplement||Calcium||Magnesium sulfate|
|Thiamine mononitrate||Phosphate||Vitamin B-1, 3, 6, 12, 7, 9|
|Niacin||Zinc sulfate|| |
- High-quality canned food, available in 8 flavors
- Added vitamins and minerals
- Highly tender and palatable for senior cats and kittens
- Suits a cat’s sensitive stomach
- The gravy is tasty
- Wet texture is easy to swallow and preferred by kittens
- Contains Taurine that helps maintain heart health
- Cats might become finicky by eating this meal
- Consists of 10% ash content
4. Meow Mix Tender Centers Dry Cat Food
Meow mix is an irresistible combination of chicken and salmon, having an outer layer which is crunchy and a center that is meaty.
Once, when my cat was not well, I visited the vet who suggested this food for better protein intake. After trying this, my cat looked healthier and happier every day. With a perfect mix of tender ingredients, this is the only meal that cats ask for by name, “MEOW”.
Moreover, I’ve noticed that a single serving in the morning would be enough to keep your cat active throughout the day with this meal.
|Whole Ground Corn||Phosphoric Acid||Manganous Oxide|
|Chicken By-product Meal||Calcium Sulfate||Copper Sulfate|
|Corn Gluten Meal||Vitamin E, D3, B12, A Supplement||Calcium Iodate|
|Soybean Meal||BHA||Natural White Meat Chicken Flavor|
|Corn Syrup||BHT||Sodium Selenite|
|Glycerin||Salmon Meal||Whole Wheat|
- Dry meal that has a long shelf life
- Can be eaten by senior cats and kittens too
- Available in a variety of meaty flavors
- High digestibility
- Provides a balanced diet with good nutritional content for strong bones and teeth
- Important acids that help in digestion
- Packed in a 13.5lb bag that is long-lasting
- Tender on the inside and crunchy on the outer layer that makes the meal fun
- Contains gluten which is not that good for a cat’s health
- Full of corn that is not digestible to cats
- Chemical preservatives like BHT and BHA are potentially cancer-causing agents
5. Hills Ideal Balance
Hill’s Ideal Balance is an ideal meal for your cat. It contains natural chicken and Brown Rice extracts.
The chicken in this mealproved to be enough for the protein intake for my cat while the brown rice helped in digestion.I noticed my cat’s metabolism boosted and defense mechanism strengthened because of the vegetable contents in this product.
Don’t be concerned about urinary problems because the berries in this meal have essential antioxidants that did help my cat maintain a healthy bladder.Also, after I tried this food with my cat, I noticed a shiny coat within 30 days.
This high-quality cat food is manufactured in USA, comes in 3 flavors and does not contain corn, wheat or soy. It has different packets for each cat according to their age and applicability. It is light on the stomach for cats with sensitive digestive systems.
|Chicken||Dried egg product||Calcium Sulphate|
|Brown rice||Flaxseed||Choline Chloride|
|Yellow peas||Chicken Liver||Potassium Chloride|
|Brewers Rice||Lactic Acid||DL-Methionine|
|Pea protein concentrate||Vegetable and fruit blend||Iodized Salt|
|Chicken fat||Fish oil||Taurine|
|Vitamin A, E, C supplements||Niacin Supplement||Thiamine Mononitrate|
|Calcium Pantothenate||Riboflavin Supplement||Biotin|
|Mixed Tocopherols||Phosphoric Acid||Beta-Carotene|
- Balanced ingredients
- Contains antioxidants for a healthy bladder
- Good for digestion and for cats with sensitive digestive systems
- Contains essential vitamins and minerals
- No artificial flavors or preservatives
- Good packaging allows the food to stay fresh without storage container
- The dry texture can cause kidney and liver problems in the long run
- Content of protein in the mix is relatively lesser than other high-quality products
6. Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Natural Kitten Dry Cat Food
BLUE dry recipes provide a unique meal consisting of the finest natural ingredients that are enhanced with the perfect blend of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidant contents. Earlier in the days, when my cat was just a kitten, she got tired of the repetitive meals that I served. So, I decided to bring a change in her diet.
I picked Blue Buffalo Healthy Growth Natural Kitten, a dry food, whose nutrients are processed at a low temperature that support the health of your kitten and aids its growth. After I served this to my kitten, I noticed cognitive developments because of the stage-specific content like DHA.
The best part of this package is that recipes are made to support all cats regardless of their age. Even now, sometimes I serve this food to remind my cat of her good old days which also makes me cherish our bond being her owner. Moreover, being a kitten, her stomach was quite sensitive andthis product with its unique ingredients did support the special diet needs of my partner.
|Deboned chicken, chicken fat, chicken meal||Brown rice||Menhaden fish meal (omega 3 extracts)|
|Potatoes||Out Bran||Tomato Pomace|
|Flaxseed||Calcium Carbonate||Psyllium Seed husks|
|Dicalcium Phosphate||Potassium Chloride||Alfalfa meal|
|Choline Chloride||DL-Methionine||Potato Starch|
|Sweet potatoes, carrots||Taurine||Caramel|
|Vitamin E, B3, C, B2, B9, B12, D3||Dried Lactobacillusacidophilusfermentation||Calcium Pantothenate|
|Manganese Sulphate, Amino||Pyridoxine Hydrochloride||Dried AspergillusNiger|
|Dried Trichodermalongibrachiatum||Dried Bacillus subtilis||SodiumSelenite|
|Copper amino acid||Barley Grass||Kelp|
|Blueberries, Cranberries, apples, pomegranate||Spinach, pumpkin||Mixed Tocopherols|
- DHA and ARA for eye and brain development
- High-protein content that keeps muscles strong
- Healthy muscle growth
- Energy for growth
- Healthy Skin & Coat
- Contains Taurine to maintain heart health
- Vital minerals and anti-oxidants to help digestion
- Some cats may not like this meal
- Low moisture level
- Dry texture can be hard to swallow
- Some cats might be allergic to fruits
7. Purina Friskies Pate Adult Wet Cat Food Variety Pack
Purina Friskies Pate has been my cat’s all-time favorite. With a wet texture, this cat food pack allows your cat to enjoy its favorite flavor. Available in chicken, turkey, and seafood flavor, this meal will definitely win over your cat’s heart just like it took over my cat’s diet.
I’d suggest you serve this food when there are tensions in your relationship or basically when your cat is upset. I’ve tried this and truly the irresistiblyunique aroma in each recipe guarantees to bring your cat towards her meal and you.
Each serving gives a 100% complete, balanced diet for kittens and adult cats and provides essential nutrients which help provide a healthy diet.The 24-count package brings surprises to her taste buds withpure and wholesome goodness. This meal has been a top selected product by most cat owners because of the positive and active response of their pets. Give it a try!
|Meat and Poultry By-Products||Salmon||Rice|
|Mono and Dicalcium Phosphate||Menadione Sodium Bisulphite||Vitamin E, B-9, B-7, D-3, B-2, B-12, B-6|
|Carrageenan||Riboflavin Supplement||Red 3|
|Sodium Nitrate||Taurine||Choline Chloride|
- It includes seafood, turkey, and poultry flavors that cats love
- Provides muscle support
- The wet texture is easy to swallow
- Easy on the pocket
- Easy carry cube
- 100% balanced and proper diet for kittens and adult cats
- Contains artificial flavors
- Wet consistency might not be the best choice for old cats
The Right Food for Your Cat
“Am I feeding her right? How much and how often should I be feeding her? Does the meal meether nutritional requirements? These questions must be on your mind always if you live with your pal, your best friend, your cat.
Cats require several types of nutrients to survive.
Belonging to the carnivorous family, they get protein mainly from fish, meat and other animal products because some animal protein is better than plant-protein and is good for the cat’s digestive system. Amino acids give carbon chains that make glucose which is required for energy.
Deficiency of these essential amino acids can cause health problems. Fats contain twice as much energy as proteins and hence are essential in food to enhance the taste and texture.
So, to keep your cat’s skin and coat healthy, fatty acids are important. During growth, pregnancy, exercise and lactation, a cat’s energy needs increase and they require good amount of carbohydrates through cereals or plant food.
Diet for Kittens
However, in case of kittens, 2.5-4 weeks after birth, you should start supplemental feeding because the mother’s milk is not enough. If your cat looks “bony”, underweight, or overweight, then you should visit a vet because there are chances that she might be facing some internal health problems, possibly diabetes, osteoarthritis, bacterial infections or damage to any internal organs.
Diet for Adult Cats
Due to lack of niacin, adult cats lose weight and my die as well. Vitamins are also needed by a cat, but you must always focus on the proportion of these in canned cat foods. For example, Vitamin A is toxic if given in excessive amounts.
You must also ensure your car gets the right amount of minerals in her meal because too much minerals could form stones in the urinary tract. Do remember, less protein in canned food reflects that there is more water.
Being a cat owner, you must’ve also been through the dilemma of serving Dry Food or Wet Food to your pet. Yes, that truly has been a concern since long. Well, both types of food have their own pros and cons.
Pros of Dry Food
- It’s easy and convenient to carry around
- You can leave it out all day or several days (perhaps when you’re out of country)
- Good for teeth as the dryness may scrape some plaque off
- Great form of nibbling snack
Cons of Dry Food
- With more sodium and less moisture, such food can cause dehydration to your cat
- Dehydration could lead to kidney problems and urinary infections
- It could cause diabetes, consisting of high carbs and less protein
- Higher carbs make digestion difficult for cats
- Since you can leave it out all the time, your cat may eat anytime in any portion which could cause obesity
Pros of Wet Food
- It contains good moisture. This is a source of moisture for wild cats who aren’t trained to drink water by themselves and seek moisture from their food
- It comes in a variety of flavors and smells great that make it appealing for cats that are picky
- Easy to chew for cats with missing teeth
- Higher protein levels. Cats belong to the carnivorous family, which means they mostly need meat in their meal
Cons of Wet Food
- It could cause a mess
- Doesn’t scrape plaque off teeth
- Might not stay fresh for a longer time
- May be expensive compared to dry food
Homemade Cat Food
If you feel that giving canned or packed food regularly may affect your cat’s health, then you always have the option of providing home-made cat food as well.
So, if you decide to prepare food yourself, first consult a vet or nutritionist who could guide you about recipes and a balanced meal for your cat. To ensure you serve the right amount, use a dietary gram scale to weigh the foods and get correct measurements.
In addition to this, make sure you blend all ingredients well before serving your cat. In case of wet food, you must store the food in a refrigerator between meals but make sure it’s warm before you serve your cat.
Basic Homemade Cat Food Ingredients
- Protein: Serve cooked dark beef, salmon, meat chicken, tuna (83 grams)
- Fat: Olive oil or fish oil (1/4 teaspoon), safflower, vegetables
- Fiber: sweet potato (cooked without skin, 1/5 cup)
- Carbohydrates: Corn, oatmeal, white rice (cooked), pasta or peas (1/3 cup)
Moreover, these are a few homemade cat food recipes:
- Take 1 tablespoon of non-fat dry milk and mix it with a small amount of water
- Take 3 medium eggs and beat them well
- Pour the mixture in a non-stick fry pan and cook on medium heat
- Take 3 tablespoons of cottage cheese and 2 tablespoons of vegies (grated) and spread them on half of the cooked mixture
- Fold like an omelet and cut in small, bite-sized pieces
Chicken diet for a growing kitten or healthy cat
- Chop ½ pound chicken breast and ½ large hardboiled eggs
- Crush 3 bone meal and 1 multiple vitamin-mineral tablet and add 1/2-ounce clams, 4 teaspoons canola oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt substitute
- Refrigerate the meal and then warm slightly before serving.
- 1/2 cup raw organic chicken and 1/2 cup raw chicken liver
- 1/2 cup grains (cooked brown rice)
- 1/4 cup raw zucchini (or cooked green beans)
- Vegetable broth to moisten
- Take 1 can salmon, 1 tablespoon cooked broccoli (mash it), 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs, and 1 teaspoon brewer’s yeast and MIX all in a bowl.
- Stir the ingredients together and serve.
- Discard any leftover after 3 days.
Pros of Homemade Cat Food
- Can look after allergies better by serving the right food to your cat (special dietary requirements)
- A source of nutrition free from chemicals and artificial preservatives
- Can serve the right amount of proteins or fat required, as suggested by the vet
- The taste of homemade food is unbeatable
- Can keep check on getting the best quality meat or vegies for your cat
Cons of Homemade Cat Food
- Preparation of homemade food consumes more time
- Might be expensive compared to canned food
- If not balanced properly, it could be harmful for your pet
- Attentive cooking and storing is compulsory
- It will be hard for the cat to return to canned or commercial food if it gets used to homemade food
- Soft diets that hinder the act of chewing (essential for good teeth and gums)
Foods That Your Cat Can Eat
- Salmon / Chicken / Turkey
- Spinach / Carrots / Cucumber/ Broccoli
- Fish oil
- Banana / Peeled Apples /blueberries / Watermelon
- Cheddar / Cottage Cheese
- Cooked corn
Foods Your Cat Shouldn’t Eat
- Raw fish
- Coconut milk
- Cooked bones
- Grapes and raisins
- Onions and garlic
- Macadamia nuts
- Bread dough
- Xylitol (artificial sweetener)
Food represents your pet’s lifestyle and if her lifestyle is at stake, your reputation is too because truly, your pals represent you.
If you don’t pay attention to the quality of the food or the ingredients served, your pet wouldn’t stay healthy for long. From the above-mentioned brands, go and pick one for your cat, show how important she is to you and strengthen your bond.
Avoid buying meals with artificial ingredients because these make your pet unhealthy. Your cat is your baby, and if you serve the brands recommended above, leave all worries aside because your companion is in safe hands.
What should I feed my American Bobtail kitten? Because kittens, when newly born, cannot be fed solids or dry food, make sure to mix canned cat food or dry food with water. The liquid mixture is easier for these felines to swallow and digest.
How can I know if I am selecting the right cat food? Various researches have shown that bigger cat food brands contain ingredients that have actually helped felines grow into better and healthier adults. So, if you wish to keep your fluffy friend energetic and strong, go for more famous cat food rather than the cheaper, generic store brands.
My American Bobtail has a sensitive stomach, what should I give her? There are different food products available in the market that are designed for cats with digestive issues. But, it is always recommended to visit a vet in person for better prognosis and solutions.