Cats are famous for their fastidious and fussy nature.
And this fastidiousness can be easily taken over by nastiness in a blink of an eye if they do not get the right food suitable to their needs.
Keep that in mind:
Their diet should be full of nutrients providing them necessary fats & oils, proteins, and carbohydrates to keep them healthy and make the most of their senior years.
Here is a list of the 7 best Cat Foods for your American Curl Cat:
Best Cat Foods for American Curl Cat
|Products||Wet or Dry?||Digestive Aids||Artificial Colors|
|Sheba Perfect PORTIONS Cuts in Gravy Entrée Wet Cat Food - Seafood||Wet||Average||Yes|
|Iams Proactive Health Original Adult Dry Cat Food||Dry||Yes||No|
|Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dry Cat Food Green Pea & Duck||Dry||Yes||No|
|Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health||Wet||Yes||No|
|Purina fancy feast cat threats||Duos||Yes||Yes|
|Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Poultry & Beef||Wet||Average||Yes|
|Meow Mix Tender Centers Dry Cat Food||Dry||No||Yes|
1. Sheba Perfect PORTIONS Cuts in Gravy Entrée Wet Cat Food
Sheba Perfect PORTIONS Cuts in Gravy Entrée Wet Cat Food is available in the variety of flavors, like Salmon, Tuna, Whitefish, and Tuna.
Each of its variants is composed of real protein, essential vitamins, and minerals necessary for your American curl cat’s growth, so the nutritious, as well as a delicious solution is this perfect wet cat food.
It can be fed to adult cats in 3 portions per 5 pounds of their body weight two times a day.
|Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver||Minerals||Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols)|
|Meat By-Products, Poultry By-Products||Sodium Tripolyphosphate||Xanthan Gum|
|Vitamins B1, B6, D3, E, K||Potassium Chloride||Magnesium Sulfate|
|Folic Acid||Zinc Sulfate||Iron Sulfate|
|Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex||Manganese Sulfate||Potassium Iodide|
|Taurine||Copper Sulfate||Natural Flavor|
|Salt||Taurine||DL-Methionine TUNA CIG|
- Variety- It includes a variety that your American curl will savor, like salmon, tuna, and whitefish.
- Can be fed to pregnant and nursing cats
- The wet texture is easy to swallow
- Enough quantity for one time serving
- Easily served in its own tray
- Filling diet for kittens, adult, and senior cat
- Contains artificial color
- Wet consistency might not be the best choice for old cats
2. Iams Proactive Health Original Adult Dry Cat Food
To keep your American curl healthy give them IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Healthy Adult Dry Cat Food in their all-time favorite chicken flavor.
The recipe is designed to support active bodies and provide sufficient energy.
Its unique fiber blend supports your cat’s ability to absorb the nutrients to help in the digestive process, it is tailored with pre-biotics and beet pulp to assist this mechanism.
|Chicken, chicken by-products||Corn Grits||Corn Gluten Meal|
|Ground Whole Grain Corn||Dried Beet Pulp||Dried Egg Product|
|Brewers Dried Yeast||Sodium Bisulfate||Potassium Chloride|
|Fish Oil||Calcium Carbonate||Choline Chloride|
|DL-Methionine||Fructooligosaccharides||Vitamins E, B1, B6, A, B12, B2, D3,|
|Niacin||Ascorbic Acid||Calcium Pantothenate|
- Healthy Heart- This cat food contains essential nutrient like Taurine, which improves the heart health of your American curl
- Strong Muscles- To keep your pal’s muscles strong feed this cat food which has high-protein content
- Energy- Your American curl will get a boost of energy which is necessary during its growing period, it will also help in keeping her active through-out the day
- Soft, shiny and healthy Skin and Coat
- Digestive- Healthy digestion with tailored fiber-blend
- You can feed it to pregnant and nursing American curls
- Maintains Hygiene- Its crunchy texture decreases plaque build-up on teeth
- Difficulty in swallowing- The dry texture of this food makes swallowing hard for cats
3. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dry Cat Food Green Pea & Duck
Limited Ingredient Cat Food Green Pea & Duck Formula is formulated with a number of proteins and carbohydrate.
It was the best alternative for my American curl, as it is grain-free, assists in the digestion of food and maintains the health of my cat’s skin and coat.
The high-quality duck present in the ingredient provides essential amino acids that maintain the even-tone of your cat’s muscle.
|Green Peas||Duck||Duck Meal|
|Pea Protein||Canola Oil||Salmon Oil|
|Flaxseed||Sodium Bisulfate||Potassium Chloride|
|Fish Oil||Salt||Choline Chloride|
|DL-Methionine||Minerals||Vitamins E, A, B12, D3,|
|Biotin||Folic Acid||Thiamine Mononitrate|
|Rosemary Extract||Green Tea Extract||Spearmint Extract|
- Cats are known to adore grain-free food, your American curl will definitely enjoy it too
- Best choice for adult cats- This balanced formula is full of nutrition containing ingredients necessary for adult cats
- Supports food digestion- This food item contains ingredients that speed up digestion so whatever you American Curl gulps, she will stay healthy and active.
- Keeps the muscles of your American curl strong along with maintaining even-tone
- Nourished Skin & Coat
- Maintains heart health because of the presence of Taurine
- This meal may not be liked by some cats as it contains duck and green peas
- Hard Swallowing- This cat food has low moisture level which makes swallowing difficult
- Possible Allergies- As it contains duck and green peas, some cats might be allergic to it
4. Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health Adult Canned Wet Cat Food
Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health Adult Canned Wet Cat Food constitutes of real chicken that is proved to help in reducing the pH of urine, controlling the urinary tract, improving digestive system and stimulating the immune system.
Once when my American curl cat faced urinary issues, I shifted to this food.
But it should be noted that this product is not meant for expecting cats and kittens.
|Chicken||Menadione Sodium Bisulfite||Ferrous Sulphate|
|Wheat gluten||Manganese Sulfate||Vitamin A supplement|
|Flavor||Vitamin B-12 Supplement|
|Potassium chloride||Folic Acid|
|Vitamin E supplement||Vitamin D-3 Supplement|
|Zinc Sulphate||Menadione Sodium Bisulfite|
- Tasteful- This canned food tastes great, making your American Curl ask for more.
- A solution for vesicle issues
- Vets’ recommendation- Because it is packed with nutrients, every vet suggests it as an alternative treatment solution for cats suffering from urinary problems.
- Assists in food digestion- This food item contains ingredients that speed up digestion so whatever you American Curl gulps, she will stay healthy and active.
- Stimulates immune system- Stronger immunity means energetic feline. It helps build immunity so no matter where your cats play, they stay active and healthy.
- Strengthens your cat’s skin and coat
- Pull-top eases the process of opening the can so you don’t have to look around for an opener and waste time in struggling to open it up.
- This wet formula helps in rehydrating your cat that refuses to drink water at all cost.
- Small serving size- At one time, you might have to feed more than one can to your American Curl.
- May not complement your cat so either take a prescription from your vet or feed your cat in little portion instead of giving it as a full-time meal.
- Should only be fed when suffering from urinary tract issues or crystal issues, not recommended for daily use.
5. Purina Fancy Feast Cat Treats
The Purina Fancy Feast Cat Treats are salmon flavored treats that are super soft and moist from the inside with a crunchy coating outside.
Because my American Curl absolutely loves salmon, so, whenever I take out the box, she starts drooling over it.
Apart from the great flavor that their offer, this crunchy treat is also a great exercise for jaws.
|Glycerin||Brewers dried yeast|
|Vitamin E||Citric Acid|
|Calcium carbonate||Yellow 6|
|Blue 1||Red 40|
- Exceptional taste- This fancy feast is certainly a treat for your American curl, satisfying its taste buds to the fullest.
- Flavorsome- Salmon flavored treats are absolutely mouth-watering, making your American curl drool over it.
- Loved by cats- Not only American curl cats are fond of this treat but also other cats are found longing for this fancy feast.
- Pocket-friendly- It is easy on the pocket, definitely your go-to cat food.
- Physically fit- This treat is a great exercise for your American curl, keeping it physically healthy
- Nutritious- Provides supplementary nutrients
- Stomach friendly-The digestive system of your American curl remains undisturbed if you feed her this feast.
- Freshness Retained- It comes in a pouch that can be resealed which keeps the treats fresh
- Needs Monitoring- You have to keep a check on portion size you are feeding, as its excessive amount is not healthy for your cat.
- Avoid over-feeding- The over-consumption of this treat can increase the weight of your American Curl cats, who are already lazy by nature and do not exercise.
6. Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Poultry & Beef Feast Collection Wet Cat Food
Feed your cat Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Poultry & Beef Feast Collection wet cat food.
It is available in various flavors, like chicken, turkey, and beef.
When I give this food to my American curl, as a change for its taste buds, she absolutely loved it and licked her dish clean.
Moreover, you will feel content and satisfied when you see your cat healthy and purring around.
|Wheat gluten||Natural roasted turkey flavor||Potassium chloride|
|Meat By-products||Soy flour||Taurine|
|Chicken, corn starch-modified||Salt||Choline Chloride|
|Vitamin E supplement||Calcium||Magnesium sulfate|
|Thiamine mononitrate||Phosphate||Vitamin B-1, 3, 6, 12, 7, 9|
- Hygienic- This canned food is hygienic and available in 8 delicious flavors, you can choose your American curl’s favorite.
- Nutritious- It contains vitamins and minerals which are essential for your pal’s growth.
- Easy to eat- It is extremely soft and easily chewable for senior American curl cats and kittens.
- Suitable for sensitive stomach- If your cat has a sensitive stomach then this canned food is your only solution.
- Palatable gravy
- Easy to gulp- As this food has wet consistency so it makes swallowing easy and, it is preferred for kittens.
- Maintains heart health as it contains Taurine
- Makes cat dainty- This canned food might make your American curl fussy and she may not like other quality foods after eating this meal
- Ingredients contain 10% ash content
7. Meow Mix Tender Dry Cat Food
The tempting and mouth-watering combination of chicken and salmon flavor is what makes Meow Mix stand out among all cat foods.
A crunchy outer layer and a meaty center, making the best combo-meal for your American Curl.
My experience with this cat food is very overwhelming as I saw my curly getting healthier after a period of sickness.
Moreover, a single serving in the morning is sufficient to keep your cat active throughout the day.
|Whole Ground Corn||Phosphoric Acid||Manganous Oxide|
|Chicken By-product Meal||Calcium Sulfate||Copper Sulfate|
|Corn Gluten Meal||Vitamin E, D3, B12, A Supplement||Calcium Iodate|
|Soybean Meal||BHA||Natural White Meat Chicken Flavor|
|Corn Syrup||BHT||Sodium Selenite|
|Glycerin||Salmon Meal||Whole Wheat|
- Long shelf-life: This dry meal lasts long in your pantry as long as it is kept away from the moisture, saving you frequent trips to the mart.
- Versatile- It can be fed to senior American curl cats and kittens too.
- Flavorsome- It is easily found in a number of meaty flavors
- Light on the digestive system- This meal supports digestion as it contains vital acids
- Strengthening- A perfect balanced diet containing superior nutritional content that strengthens bones and teeth
- A fun meal for cats as it has a crunchy exterior layer and meaty center
- Undesired health issues- Ingredients constitute of gluten which is not good for a cat’s health
- Cancer-causing- It holds cancer-causing agents acting as preservatives, such as BHT and BHA
How to Feed Your American Curl?
Never forget that American Curls depend solely on meat when you are deciding what to serve them.
This might also be the reason when they refuse to eat any other food.
Once I served my American Curl non-meat-based food, that I prepared for it with fruits, nuts, and dairy but it walked-out on it and refused to have it.
When it comes to their diet:
They are highly strict and are completely opposite to what other mammals usually eat.
They need tons of meat to consume enough amount of protein and fat. It would be appropriate to say, if we eat that much meat we would end-up suffering from heart disease by the time we turn 20.
Some people call them mini dogs. It is to be noted that carbs should be kept away from American Curls as they cannot digest them easily. Quite often, we see American Curls dragging their body due to overweight it’s because they are fed a large number of carbohydrates.
In a nutshell:
Avoid feeding carbohydrates to your American Curls.
Care Tips for American Curl Kitten Owners
Here are a few tips for all American Curl Cat owners.
Satisfying Your American Curl’s Taste Buds
Any food that you select for your American Curl should meet the standard specification of the American Association of Feed Control Officials also known as the AAFCO.
The minimum requirements ensure that your American Curl is getting the standard food that is meeting all the requirements.
Try to ignore fancy terminologies that do not have a basic definition, it will only end up confusing you.
Another way to ensure that your American Curl is getting sufficient and standard diet is by consulting a veterinarian.
Once you have made a decision as to what you are going to give your American Curl you just first give your cat a test taste. Make sure that your American Curl actually enjoys the food that you are feeding it.
If your American Curl does not adapt to the taste of the food:
It can result in a hunger strike, which can lead to some serious diseases such as liver failure or worse death.
In case you decide to change the food, you should endorse it in small quantities at first so that your cat can adjust to the taste. This also helps in preventing your cat from getting an upset stomach.
Portion Size, Feeding Time, and Snacks for American Curls
The most common question that American Curl owners ask is the amount of food your cat actually needs.
It might seem insufficient to you but your cat will get adjusted to it. You must know that it gets really difficult to help your overweight cat lose weight, this piece of information might keep you motivated to stick to the plan.
These calculations you have to plan your American Curl’s meals. As they eat all day long, so it is better to leave the food from where they can easily eat it.
For a controlled diet, you can give out half of the meal in the morning and the remaining half in the evening.
Do not go to extremes with the treats either. Snack is a big no for American Curls as it spoils them and diverts them from their healthy diet.
How to Choose the Best Cat Food for American Curls?
Fresh fruits and vegetables are some other beneficial ingredients to provide key nutrients as well as probiotics for digestion.
Here are some things to look for in cat food for American Curl
• Animal Protein: American curls fall under the family of carnivores, so you should make sure that the diet you are providing them contains a good quantity of meat, poultry, and fish.
Protein is the basis of strong muscles and tissues along with maintaining lean muscle mass.
• Controlled Calories: Overfeeding cats can easily lead to them being obese, especially when it comes to the American Curl since the breed is fairly large as it is.
For adult cats the weight formula can be too much you can just give them a diet that has a high content of protein and a moderate amount of fat, although when it comes to older cats the weight control formula has proven to be beneficial.
• Carbs: Cats are carnivores which means they do not consume processed plant foods, however, the processed animal products are well-liked by cats.
Keep in mind to give your cat a diet that has low carbohydrate content, and the ones that are present in the meal are digestible such as vegetables or fruits.
• Fatty Acids: The minimum requirement for fat in a diet for cats is at least 9%, the fat should contain a blend of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, this helps in giving your cat a healthier skin along with a boost of energy and coat support.
Homemade Cat Food
A dietary gram scale is easily available which will help you in determining if you are serving the right amount. Another tip for home-made food is that should make sure all the ingredients are well-blended and warm before serving it to your pal.
Advantages of Homemade Cat Food
- Can easily keep a check on which ingredient is causing allergy to your American Curl
- Very hygienic- Chemical and preservative free food
- Recipes can be formulated that are fulfilling the right amount of proteins or fat that your vet suggested
Disadvantages of Homemade Cat Food
- Time-consuming and expensive than canned food
- Could be harmful if balance goes out
- Jaw problems may arise as the homemade food is usually soft and tender
Food is the way to have a happy cat.
To keep it happy and satisfied:
You should be concerned about the quality of food you are serving as well as the ingredients; if they are suitable for her or not.
From the brands mentioned above, you can choose any of them and show your affection and care for your American Curl and make your bond strong.
Artificial ingredients damage your pet’s health so you should avoid buying such meals.
The recommended brands are the best-selling brands of all times, you can say good-bye to all your worries and feed it to your curly.
What else should I do ensure my American Curl stays healthy? Apart from maintaining a good feeding routine, remember to keep your cat active. Indulge her into physical activities, play catch with her, take it out for a walk so that she stays fit and active.
Should my Pregnant American Curl be fed more? Yes, female cats that are about to give birth should be fed larger portion sizes but make sure to keep a close watch on what you feed. Do not over-feed them as this may lead to excessive weight again which later might be unhealthy for your feline. Include food products that are rich in minerals, folic acid, and iron so the cat has a kitten that is healthy and energetic,
How will I know if my cat is hungry? Well when it comes down to American Curls, they love to eat all day. So rather than keeping a fixed time for them, always keep their bowl filled with food and place it in a corner where it is easily accessible for the feline. Like this, they’ll help themselves without you having to worry much!
- Are American Curl cats Hypoallergenic?
- Do American Curl cats Shed
- All that you need to know about American Curl cats