American Shorthair cats are an awesome breed.
When you talk about strong cats, they surely come to mind.
American Shorthairs are powerful cats with a large body structure.
They have a wide chest, a muscular neck, strong jaws, full-fledged muzzle, and legs all thick and strong.
With this amount of muscle on their body:
It is important that you’re aware of what to feed these tough guys.
Although they are immensely healthy with a strong body structure, you must carefully monitor their diet to maintain their health.
So now, this question comes to mind:
What can you feed your American Shorthair cat?
To help you out with that, we came up with a list of the 7 best cat foods for American Shorthair cats.
Top 7 cat foods for American Shorthairs
|Products||Wet or Dry?||Digestive Aids|
|Sheba Perfect PORTIONS Cat Food – Seafood||Wet||Average|
|Iams Proactive Health Original Adult Dry Cat Food||Dry||Yes|
|Natural Balance Dry Cat Food||Dry||Yes|
|Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health||Wet||Yes|
|Wellness Complete Health Canned Cat Food||Wet||Average|
|Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Cat Food||Dry||Yes|
|Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Indoor Adult Dry Cat Food||Dry||Yes|
After our top 7 picks for American Shorthair cats:
Here are our top choices for:
- American Shorthair Kittens: Pro Plan Total
- Senior American Shorthairs: Nestlé Purina Petcare Pro
- Pregnant American Shorthair cats: Iams Proactive Health
1. Sheba Perfect PORTIONS Cuts in Gravy Entrée Wet Cat Food
|Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver||Minerals||Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols)|
|Meat By-Products, Poultry By-Products||Sodium Tripolyphosphate||Xanthan Gum|
|Vitamins B1, B6, D3, E, K||Potassium Chloride||Magnesium Sulfate|
|Folic Acid||Zinc Sulfate||Iron Sulfate|
|Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex||Manganese Sulfate||Potassium Iodide|
|Taurine||Copper Sulfate||Natural Flavor|
|Salt||Taurine||DL-Methionine TUNA CIG|
- Variety – It offers a variety in ingredients and tastes that your American Shorthair will relish, like salmon, tuna, and whitefish
- Safe – It is safe to feed a pregnant and nursing cat
- Convenient – The wet texture of Sheba Perfect PORTION makes swallowing easy
- It offers enough quantity for one time serving
- Serving tray – It comes in a tray and can be easily served in it to your messy American Shorthair and then, directly, disposed-off in the bin.
- It comprises of artificial color which you should try to avoid
- Wet consistency might not be the best choice for senior cats
2. Iams Proactive Health Original Adult Dry Cat Food
|Chicken, chicken by-products||Corn Grits||Corn Gluten Meal|
|Ground Whole Grain Corn||Dried Beet Pulp||Dried Egg Product|
|Brewers Dried Yeast||Sodium Bisulfate||Potassium Chloride|
|Fish Oil||Calcium Carbonate||Choline Chloride|
|DL-Methionine||Fructooligosaccharides||Vitamins E, B1, B6, A, B12, B2, D3,|
|Niacin||Ascorbic Acid||Calcium Pantothenate|
- Healthy Heart – The heart health of your American Shorthair immensely improves if you feed this food, as it has Taurine which is an essential nutrient.
- Strong Muscles – American Shorthair is a muscular cat so to keep your pet’s muscles strong feed this high protein cat food.
- Energy – Your American Shorthair will get a boost of energy which is necessary during its growing period, it will also help in keeping her active throughout the day
- The coat of the American Shorthair is thick and dense, so this cat food will keep it healthy, soft, and shiny.
- Digestive – Healthy digestion with tailored fiber-blend.
- You can feed it to pregnant and nursing American Shorthair.
- Maintains Hygiene – Its crunchy texture decreases plaque build-up on teeth keeping your pal neat and clean.
- Difficulty in swallowing – The dry texture of this food makes swallowing hard for cats
3. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dry Cat Food Green Pea & Duck
|Green Peas||Duck||Duck Meal|
|Pea Protein||Canola Oil||Salmon Oil|
|Flaxseed||Sodium Bisulfate||Potassium Chloride|
|Fish Oil||Salt||Choline Chloride|
|DL-Methionine||Minerals||Vitamins E, A, B12, D3,|
|Biotin||Folic Acid||Thiamine Mononitrate|
|Rosemary Extract||Green Tea Extract||Spearmint Extract|
- 100% grain-free – American Shorthair might be allergic to grains present in some cat foods, but this food is free from grains, my friend. Your pal would love it!
- Appealing for senior cats – This balanced formula is full of nutrition containing ingredients necessary for senior American Shorthairs.
- Supports digestion – This food item contains ingredients that speed up digestion so whatever your American pal gulps, she will stay healthy and active.
- Even tone – American Shorthair is a muscular cat so to keep your pet’s muscles strong feed this high protein cat food.
- Nourishes the coats of your pet
- Taurine maintains the heart health and keeps your cat active.
- Some American Shorthairs may not like this food because of the taste of green peas and duck, or they could be allergic to it.
- Difficulty in swallowing – This cat food has low moisture level which makes swallowing difficult.
4. Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health Adult Canned Wet Cat Food
|Chicken||Menadione Sodium Bisulfite||Ferrous Sulphate|
|Wheat gluten||Manganese Sulfate||Vitamin A supplement|
|Flavor||Vitamin B-12 Supplement|
|Potassium chloride||Folic Acid|
|Vitamin E supplement||Vitamin D-3 Supplement|
|Zinc Sulphate||Menadione Sodium Bisulfite|
- Tasteful – Your American Shorthair would love the taste of this canned food and would absolutely ask for more.
- This canned food is the impeccable solution for vesicle issues
- Recommended by vets – Because it is packed with nutrients. Every vet suggests it as an alternative treatment solution for cats suffering from urinary problems.
- Assists in food digestion – This food item contains ingredients that speed up digestion so whatever your American Shorthair gulps, it will stay healthy and active.
- Stimulates immune system – Stronger immunity means energetic feline. It helps build immunity so no matter where your cats play, they stay active and healthy.
- Strengthens your cat’s coat.
- Saves time – The pull-top eases the process of opening the packaging, so you don’t have to look around for an opener and waste time in struggling to open it up.
- Hydrating – This wet formula helps in rehydrating your cat that refuses to drink water at all cost.
- Small serving size – There might come a point where you have to feed more than a can to your American Shorthair
- May not suit your cat so either take a prescription from your vet or feed your cat in little portions instead of giving it as a full-time meal.
- It is recommended to be fed only if your cat is suffering from urinary tract issues or crystal issues. If this is not the case, then you should not feed it to your cat.
5. Wellness Complete Health Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food Paté Recipe Chicken Paté
|Chicken||Cobalt Proteinate||Thiamine Mononitrate|
|Chicken Liver||Turkey||Chicken Broth|
|Carrots||Sweet Potatoes||Squash, Zucchini|
|Dicalcium Phosphate||Carrageenan||Ground Flaxseed|
|Calcium Carbonate||Taurine||Vitamin A supplement|
|Iron Proteinate||Vitamin B-12 Supplement||Manganese Proteinate|
|Zinc Proteinate||Folic Acid||d-Calcium Pantothenate|
|Vitamin E supplement||Vitamin D-3 Supplement||Sodium Selenite|
|Choline Chloride||Copper Proteinate||Pyridoxine Hydrochloride|
|Riboflavin Supplement||Vitamin A Supplement||Vitamin B-12 Supplement|
- Balanced Nutrients – This canned food contains proteins and fatty acids which is a complete nourishing diet for American Shorthair
- Hygienic – It is free of added growth hormones and steroids
- As it contains all the fresh fruits and vegetables, so it prevents urinary tract diseases
- This wet food sufficiently hydrates your American Shorthair
- Your cat might take some time to adjust to the new nutrients you added in its diet
- Your cat might be allergic to some of the fruits and vegetables in this product
- Requires testing to figure out if these ingredients are safe for your cat
6. Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Cat Food
|Salmon||Ground Rice||Corn Gluten Meal|
|Menhaden Fish Meal||Brown Rice||Poultry Fat|
|Brewer’s Dried Yeast||Dried Ground Peas||Pea Protein|
|Natural Flavor||Salmon Meal||Dried Plain Beet Pulp|
|Calcium Carbonate||Choline Chloride||Iron Oxide|
|Dried Carrots||Olive Oil||Taurine|
|Salt||Vitamin E Supplement||Zinc Sulfate|
|Ferrous Sulfate||Niacin||L-Ascorbyl 2-polyphosphate|
|Manganese Sulfate||Copper Sulfate||Vitamin A Supplement|
|Thiamine Mononitrate||D-Calcium Pantothenate,||Sodium Selenite|
|Riboflavin Supplement,||Pyridoxine Hydrochloride||Biotin|
|Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex||Vitamin B12 Supplement||Vitamin D3 Supplement|
|Potassium Iodide||Cobalt Sulfate|
- 100% wholesome with real salmon
- Contains Taurine which assists in digestion, keeping your American Shorthair content and happy
- This formula also keeps your cat’s stomach clean
- Brown rice is another source of healthy carbohydrate found in this product, which is new for taste buds along with keeping your cat healthy
- It can be fed to lactating and pregnant cats as well as to tiny kittens
- Contains a high amount of Corn Gluten Meal although it advertises that it has no grains and fillers
- As it is a dry cat food, swallowing might be difficult for cats, especially senior cats
- You might have to make efforts to keep your cat hydrated as the food is not hydrating on its own
- Rice is easy to digest so your cat might feel hungry quickly
7. Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Indoor Adult Dry Cat Food
|Chicken Meal||brown rice||rice|
|Corn||Corn gluten meal||chicken fat|
|chicken||natural chicken flavor||pea fiber|
|rice flour||rice hulls||wheat gluten|
|dried beet pulp||Soya oil||sodium silico aluminate|
|dried brewers yeast||fructo-oligosaccharides||anchovy oil|
|potassium chloride||dried egg product||choline chloride|
|niacin supplement||D-Calcium Pantothenate,||thiamine mononitrate|
|Riboflavin Supplement,||Pyridoxine Hydrochloride||Biotin|
|folic acid||sodium tripolyphosphate||tea (green tea extract)|
|citric acid||rosemary extract||Trace Minerals|
- Odour Reduction -This cat food enhances digestibility in the gastrointestinal tract which leads to less smelly feces.
- Dental Care – Dry cat food prevents dental, and tartar build up on your American Shorthair’s teeth, keeping them clean
- Moves Hairballs – The unique blend of fibers remove the hairballs from your baby’s stomach.
- Reduced Stool – High digestibility decreases the amount of stool of your American Shorthair
- Instantly Liked – This cat food contains healthy carbohydrates, proteins, and fats which you will prefer to feed to your cat, being its responsible and caring owner.
- Difficulty in swallowing leads to cat’s reluctance in having such foods.
- You will have to make some efforts in making your cat drink water.
- Your cat may face dehydration if fed in larger quantity.
Things to look out for in your American Shorthair’s diet
Here are some things that you should look out for a while considering cat foods for your American Shorthair.
If you stuff your American Shorthair a bit too much, it may get obese.
You can feed your young cat a good amount of protein, and a moderate quantity of fat, but for older cats, you need a weight control formula to feed them a balanced diet as per their age.
American Shorthairs are carnivores.
You should ensure that their diet contains a good quantity of meat, poultry, and fish.
Protein is the basis of strong muscles and tissues which is highly essential for American Shorthairs, considering how muscular they naturally are.
The minimum requirement for fat in a diet for cats is at least 9%.
The fat should contain a blend of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
This helps in providing your cat a healthier coat along with a boost of energy.
Cats being carnivores do not consume processed plant foods.
Processed animal products are well-liked by cats.
You should feed your cat low carbs, and those present in the meal must be digestible.
Nutritional Needs of American Shorthairs According to Age Group
Throughout its lifetime:
An American Shorthair cat goes through a number of different stages.
We will discuss the individual dietary requirements of all these stages with our top food product for each.
American Shorthair Kitten’s Nutritional Needs
As a very common observation:
Kittens grow double or triple in the first few days of their birth.
You have to switch them from milk diet to regular kitten food.
This is known as the “Transition Period”.
They need a large amount of:
- Protein (They acquire 30% of their energy from protein)
- Amino acids
Although wet canned food is preferred for kittens because of their small teeth, but if you are feeding them dry food just twice a week, then that is not a problem.
The Best Food Choice for American Shorthair Kittens: Pro Plan Total Care Kitten
- Pull-top eases the process of opening so you don’t have to look around for an opener and waste time in struggling to open it up.
- Contains 100% real fish which is exactly what you want to feed to your kitten during its growing age.
- You have to be cautious in the beginning to make sure your kitten is not allergenic to fish
Senior American Shorthair Cat’s Nutritional Needs
Your adult American Shorthair needs high-quality, nutritious food to gain energy as well as repair body tissues.
Their nutritional requirement demands taurine which is found in protein-based food products.
As they slip into this age group:
Their diet must contain high quality protein, measured levels of fat, and easily digestible carbohydrates.
The Best Food for Senior American Shorthair Cats: Nestlé Purina Petcare Pro
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Improves digestion with Taurine
- Organic source of high-end protein.
- The blend of chicken and beef may not suit your cat.
Pregnant American Shorthair Cat’s Nutritional Needs
A large quantity of:
Is what you should feed to a pregnant American Shorthair.
For increased calories and protein content, kitten food might work for you.
Dry food holds more calories per portion as compared to wet food.
Endorse dry meals and treats in her diet.
Protein, calcium and vitamins are necessary to keep your pregnant cat healthy and energetic.
The Best Choice for Pregnant American Shorthair: Iams Proactive Health
- Keeps your pregnant cat’s muscles strong because of high protein content
- Energizes your cat and keeps it active
- This unique fibre blended food helps in digestion
- Its crunchy texture decreases plaque build-up
- Difficulty in swallowing
Just like human beings:
Your cat’s mood and health depend on the quality of the food that you are serving it.
American Shorthairs are slightly different from other cats and so their body demands high protein, fats, and carbs.
To keep them powerful and active:
You should be very strict with the ingredients and content of the food you are providing them.
To help you with selecting the best cat food for your pet, we have mentioned some best-selling brands in this write-up.
Can I feed my cat “people” food? Well:
“People” food has negative effects on your cat.
It is of vital importance to keep your cat within its dietary requirements and limits.
An ideally weighing cat i.e. 10 pounds, needs 200-300 calories a day.
“People” food is definitely high in calories and you might put your cat’s health at risk.
Should I feed more to my Pregnant American Shorthair? Yes.
Female cats that are about to give birth should be fed larger portion sizes but make sure to keep a close watch on what you feed.
Do not over-feed them as this may lead to excessive weight again which later, might be unhealthy for your feline.
What can I do for the weight loss of my overweight American Shorthair? You can reduce your cat’s food consumption by 25% to achieve weight loss in overweight pets.
You can introduce some interesting and playful activities for exercise purposes while keeping up your cat’s interests in mind.
- Average lifespan of American Shorthair Cat
- Male and Female American Shorthair Cat
- Identifying an American Shorthair Cat