We! Cat owners! often face the same problems: Our feline’s getting overweight pretty quickly.
This hampers their mobility and affects our joyful play-times with our fluffy friends.
Don’t despair. There is a high probability that your feline’s obesity issues can be easily solved with a little change in their diet.
Yes, we all know choosing the right food for overweight cats can be time consuming and hectic. But, for your convenience, we have a compiled a list of 10 of the best cat foods for weight loss, along with their pros and cons to help you out in making the best-informed decision.
The Best Cat Foods For Weight Loss
|Royal Canin Feline Nutrition Weight Care||9.1||No|
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free||9.0||No|
|Purina Fancy Grain-Free Wet Cat Food||8.6||Yes|
|Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food||8.3||No|
|Tiki Cat Luau Grain-Free Wet Cat Food||8.1||No|
1. Royal Canin Feline Care Nutrition Weight Care Adult Dry Cat Food
- Manufacturer: Royal Canin
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Dimensions: 5 x 3.5 x 14 inches
- Ingredients: Chicken, natural flavors, wheat gluten, corn, brewers rice, etc.
- Specifically prepared to combat obesity problems in adult cats.
- A unique blend of optimal fibers satisfies your kitty’s appetite and make them feel full.
- Promotes a healthy and active lifestyle.
- High protein levels ensures proper maintainance of muscle mass.
- Its made with moderate fat levels, which are reduced by 33% for your adult cat weight management.
- Brand name of Royal Canin, and their extensive research and observation for nearly 50 years.
- Made with natural flavors without any artificial preservatives.
- High-quality chicken used in preparing these products.
- Ideal for cats 1-year-old or above.
- Enriched with all necessary minerals and vitamins.
- Change in the formula has caused allergic reactions in many cats.
- Many cats stop eating it after they changed their recipe.
- Suitable for only adult cats which are one year old or above.
- Price is on the higher side.
2. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free
- Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Dimensions: 5 x 12.5 x 3 inches
- Ingredients: Turkey, Chicken, Potato Starch, Whole Carrots, Cranberries, etc.
- This product is completely grain-free.
- The high amount of proteins satisfies the appetite of your feline friend.
- Made with high-quality chicken which is required in building and maintaining lean muscle mass of your feline friend.
- Contains healthy carbohydrates like peas and sweet potatoes for an active lifestyle for your fluffy friend.
- Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids support your fluffy’s skin and coat health.
- The formula is specifically formulated by holistic veterinarians and animals nutritionists to support your cat’s immune system health and maintain a healthy oxidative balance.
- Made with all-natural ingredients which are enhanced with essential minerals and vitamins.
- Doesn’t contain wheat, soy, and corn.
- Suitable for cats of all ages.
- It smells great, and your fluffy’s will run towards you when you open the bag.
- Change in the recipe in 2017 caused many side effects.
- Many complaints by customers that their cats are getting sick after eating this product.
- Relatively more expensive than other available brands.
3. Purina Fancy Feast Grain-Free Wet Cat Food
- Manufacturer: Purina
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Dimensions: 6 x 2.6 x 1.4 inches
- Ingredients: Chicken, Meat by-products, Artificial & natural flavors, etc.
- Comes in two delicious variety of flavors Tender Liver & Chicken Feast.
- Felines adore this meal due to its smooth and pate texture.
- Is a 100% complete and balanced nutrition for your beloved fluffy friend.
- High-quality chicken and liver are used in this product.
- It is filled with all the essential vitamins and minerals.
- Ideal for cats dealing with obesity problems.
- The unique combination of natural and artificial flavors makes this meal tastier.
- Affordable, in comparison with other available brands.
- Your felines will crave for this meal due to its delicious taste.
- Use of artificial flavors for improving the taste of the meal.
- Adding fish to the ingredients has caused allergic reactions in many cats.
- Customer service is not up to the standards of the industry.
- Tainted food packages delivered to many customers.
- Customer representatives don’t even know about the change in formula.
4. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Cat Food, Weight Management
- Manufacturer: Hill’s Science Diet
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Dimensions: 4 x 5.5 x 8 inches
- Ingredients: Chicken, Whole Grain Wheat, Powdered Cellulose, Brewers Rice, etc.
- 20% fewer calories, even from Hill’s Science Diet Adult food product.
- Most of the veterinarians recommend this product for your beloved feline.
- Proudly made in the USA with quality ingredients imported globally.
- It is made with 100% natural ingredients without the use of any artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Presence of L-Carnitine in the formula ensures that your beloved feline maintains ideal body weight.
- High-quality protein and optimal fibers ensure that your fluffy feels full, and efficiently tackle cravings between meals.
- Excellent low-calorie source for your beloved fluffy friend.
- Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids promote healthy skin and fur.
- Suppliers that follow stringent quality standards are approved by the company.
- Cats love and adore this meal.
- Change in formula and shape has caused many cats to vomit.
- Some products packages smelled terrible upon delivery.
- Unsatisfactory customer service without response for months.
- Many cats are getting sick with the recent formula change.
- Not completely grain-free.
5. Tiki Cat Luau Grain-Free Wet Cat Food
- Manufacturer: Tiki Cat
- Weight: 1 ounce
- Dimensions: 12 x 3 x 4.2 inches
- Ingredients: Chicken, Sunflower Seed Oil, Taurine, Chicken Broth, etc.
- Balanced and complete nutrition for your beloved feline.
- No by-products or fillers are used in this product.
- It’s completely grain-free, with a very little to no amount of carbohydrates.
- Delicious taste for finicky felines.
- It is made with real, natural ingredients that promote a healthy coat and healthy skin.
- Improves the digestion system of your beloved feline and keep them in shape.
- Moisture content ensures a sufficient supply of water to your feline’s body for good hydration.
- Ideal for all life stages of your beloved feline.
- Comes in a variety of flavors to satisfy the tastebuds of your cats.
- High and stringent quality standards.
- Very responsive customer service and answers the queries abruptly.
- Value for money due to the high quality of the food.
- Change in ingredients is not updated on retail websites, which are causing confusion among many customers.
- Black spots on the food from some vendors, although no adverse reactions.
- Some defective pieces in the product package were delivered recently, which were completely unusable.
6. Purina Beyond Grain-Free, Natural, Adult Wet Cat Food
- Manufacturer: Purina Beyond
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Dimensions: 6 x 2.6 x 1.4 inches
- Ingredients: Turkey, Chicken, Dried Egg Whites, Natural Flavor, Spinach, etc.
- Comes with a variety of flavors (more than 10) to choose the best one that your feline adore.
- It is made with real premium quality turkey.
- It is made with quality vegetables to ensure a healthy lifestyle.
- Contains all the essential vitamins and minerals for your beloved feline.
- It’s a complete grain-free formula.
- You can track the sources of ingredients used in this product.
- Made from natural and real ingredients you know and trust.
- Ideal for cats dealing with weight issues.
- Maintains your cat body weight and keep them active and in shape.
- In-house nutritionists oversee every step, and every ingredient is chosen and removed purposefully to provide you the best product for your feline friend.
- Cats love this cat food and will crave for more.
- It is made without the use of any artificial flavor or preservatives.
- Only for adult cats.
- The new recipe contains menadione, which is contradictory to their claim of no artificial flavors.
- Salmon flavor has made some cats sick.
7. Nulo Adult & Kitten Grain-Free Canned Wet Cat Food
- Manufacturer: Nulo
- Weight: 11 pounds
- Dimensions: 10 x 14 x 10 inches
- Ingredients: Chicken, Turkey, Natural Flavors, Pumpkin, Cranberries, etc.
- Comes with three different flavors Turkey & Chicken, Duck & Tuna, and Salmon & Mackerel.
- Ideal for all the life stages of your beloved felines.
- Contains five animal protein sources to keep the tummy of your feline full and avoid cravings between meals.
- Ideal for cats that are diagnosed with grain allergies.
- Contains all the necessary vitamins and minerals to promote a healthy lifestyle for your feline.
- Ensures that your feline stays healthy now and in the future.
- Made in the USA.
- It is made with 100% all-natural ingredients.
- The recipe is completely grain-free and doesn’t contain wheat, corn, soy, preservatives, etc.
- No artificial flavors are used in making this product.
- Effectively manages your feline’s weight through low carbohydrate intake.
- Great value for money and the product is exactly what they describe without any misleading or confusing information.
- It is relatively expensive than it’s counterparts.
- Very few customers reviews are available on retail websites.
8. Natural Balance Fat Cat Food
- Manufacturer: Natural Balance
- Weight: 15 pounds
- Dimensions: 22 x 15.5 x 3.3 inches
- Ingredients: High-quality meat, Nourishing vegetable & fruits, proteins, etc.
- It’s complete and balanced nutrition for your beloved fluffy friend.
- Formulated specifically for cats dealing with obesity problems.
- Promotes healthy digestion, which is necessary for weight reduction.
- It is enriched with high-quality fiber content.
- Premium protein blend ensures that your feline feels full and prevents cravings between meals.
- Delicious taste for your fluffy friends to enjoy.
- Provides you a healthy and delicious option for reducing the excessive weight of your feline friend.
- It is made with high-quality natural ingredients.
- Doesn’t contain any artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains all the essential vitamins and minerals to promote a healthy and active lifestyle in your feline.
- It’s completely grain-free nutrition for your beloved feline.
- Cats adore this delicious meal.
- Pellets pulverize too easily, which makes them tiny inedible particles & dust.
- Caused regular vomiting in some felines.
- Packaging of the product is not up to the industry standards.
- Urinary stones issue reported in some cats after consuming these products.
9. Weruva Cats In The Kitchen, Gravy Cat Food
- Manufacturer: Weruva
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Dimensions: 6 x 5.3 x 3.9 inches
- Ingredients: Chicken, Beef, Tuna, etc.
- Complete and balanced nutrition for your beloved fluffy friend.
- Contains higher amounts of proteins and a lower amount of carbohydrates to ensure a balanced diet for your feline.
- Made with all-natural ingredients to keep your cat healthy.
- Improves the digestive systems of your beloved feline.
- Prevents craving between meals due to the high amount of protein and fibers.
- Great for cats of all life stages.
- Family-owned business and following stringent quality and safety standards.
- Delicious in taste and will make even the super fussy cats in love with it.
- It is made from boneless & skinless chicken, wild-caught tuna, and duck breasts.
- No artificial preservatives or flavors are used in this product.
- This meal is completely gluten, grain, carrageenan, GMO, and MSG-free.
- This product has soup-like texture and is reported that it has negligible meat elements int it.
- Hard unidentifiable objects were found in some products.
- Has bone elements in it contradictory to their claims.
10. Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Wet Canned Cat Food
- Manufacturer: Instinct
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Dimensions: 8 x 10.2 x 2 inches
- Ingredients: Rabbit, Peas, Montmorillonite Clay, Minerals, etc.
- Available in four different flavors rabbit, turkey, duck, and salmon.
- Grain-Free nutrition for cats with stomach sensitivities.
- It is made from one protein source and one vegetable.
- Confusion free and to the point ingredients list.
- No eggs, chicken, beef, dairy, corn, fish, wheat, soy, and so on.
- No artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Natural cat food sourced from the farm-raised rabbit.
- It is made without any ingredients that are known to trigger food sensitivities in felines.
- A healthy and easily digestible protein improves the digestive system of your feline.
- It is packed with animal protein that ensures strong and lean muscle building.
- Has a delicious pate texture that will make all the kitties fall for it.
- A balanced and complete source of nutrition for your feline.
- Best food for cats with allergic issues due to limited ingredients.
- Inconsistent quality among different products, as many have caused vomiting issues.
- The new formula includes pea protein, which is causing allergies in some cats.
Health Risks Associated With Overweight Cats
Just like we humans, our cats are exposed to various health risks by being overweight. Not only it’s uncomfortable for them to carry excessive weight, but it will also seriously hamper their mobility and affects their quality of life. Their behavior also changes, and they become moodier due to the lack of activity and exploration. They also are able to play with you or hunt down their treats.
Increased weight gain can lead to a number of serious health diseases like Heart Disease, Diabetes, Arthritis, and so on. Further, the blood pressure levels in overweight cats are higher, which results in more strain on their joints and organs. Their lifespan gets reduced, as obese cats don’t live as long as active and fit cats, even if they don’t fall into a serious disease. Furthermore, overweight cats are more prone to developing diseases like urinary tract and kidney diseases.
Why Is Your Feline Overweight?
Ever wondered! Why your feline is getting overweight? Well, there are several factors that could be behind this issue; let us discuss them in detail.
Due to the limited time available in our daily lives, we often feed the feline foods that are convenient for us without bothering about the biological food implications on our felines. Foods filled with a high amount of carbohydrates and less in nutrients can lead to problems like excessive eating and unnecessary cravings. All this will result in your cat getting overweight.
Another reason is the lack of activity and options for them due to being kept indoors. Keeping them active while being indoors is a big challenge for pet owners. As our felines quickly adapt to a particular lifestyle at an early age, and it’s difficult to change it then.
Or we just love our cats too much that we gave them too much food every time they want it. Never considering the daily caloric intake requirements and the exercise needed to digest that food successfully. While some food product labels don’t accurately mention the quantity of the ingredients to make it more appealing. Do your research carefully before opting for a particular brand. And follow a strict diet schedule to keep your beloved fluffy friend in optimal shape and health.
Proteins and fibers are essential to keep your cat feeling full and avoids unwanted cravings between meals. Low protein intake and lack of exercise will slow down your fluffy’s metabolism and affects the digestion process. Make sure you purchase products that don’t compromise on the protein content to reduce the products overall calorie count.
What Is The Optimal Caloric Intake For Your Cat?
It is the most common question I heard all around my circle and the internet. People just want an exact number and follow that blindly. That’s not how it works! Giving them the right food in the right quantity is very important if you want to maintain your beloved feline in shape. And, for the number people, the daily intake for an average household cat is around 200 calories per day.
But! Don’t follow that blindly! The calorie count will vary according to your cat’s age, breed, size, and activity levels. Worried about calculating! You can try freely available cat calorie calculators online for your convenience.
So, if you want to reduce your cat’s overall weight, you won’t be giving them 200 calories per day. You have to reduce that amount by 25 to 40 % to help them lose excessive weight. But, remember never make drastic changes to your cat’s food suddenly as they will feel underfed and will use other means or tactics like begging to fulfill their hunger. Always reduce the caloric intake levels gradually, so that your cat can easily adjust to their new diet. A couple of weeks is ideal for this process and will help your cat to burn that excess fat easily.
Features Of Weight Management Cat Foods
Now, let us discuss some important features that should be present in weight management cat foods. The most important is that these foods should be high in protein and low in calories. Furthermore, the protein should come from an animal source rather than a plant. The high protein requirement is due to the fact that cats mainly burn protein for energy. So, it’s essential for them to get a high quantity of proteins to maintain their muscle mass.
Animal-based protein helps the cats in producing essential amino acids that are required by their bodies. That’s why you should look for products that are high in animal-based proteins rather than plant-based proteins. As cats are carnivores and their natural diet in the wilds would also be based entirely on the meat of different animals.
Yes, the high proteins cat foods are also full of fat but don’t try to replace it with food that is high in carbohydrates. As cats don’t require carbohydrates in their diet, while they don’t actually do much harm, but many cases of irritation in digestion systems are being recorded. Grains based carbohydrates are not suitable for your cats, as they lack the essential nutrients your cat needs to stay active and healthy.
Always make sure that your cat’s diet is balanced with a combination of wet and dry food. Both of the foods have their own advantages and disadvantages, but it is recommended to incorporate both in your cat’s diet to keep them healthy and active.
Things Felines Need In Their Diet
Your overweight feline’s diet should contain 50% calories from animal protein sources. And 40% should come from the fat. And only 1-2% should come from carbohydrates sources. It is recommended to avoid food products use artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
Natural Ways To Maintain Your Cat’s Weight
Will wet food make my cat fat?
No, on the contrary, wet cat food is the better option among the two to reduce your kitty’s overall weight as it’s filled with moisture required for proper hydration and animal-based protein required for energy. It improves your felines digestive system and helps them out in reducing weight quickly in comparison with the dry cat food option.
Is wet or dry cat food better for weight loss?
Both are good for weight loss if given in the right quantity with the right ingredients. Although, as cats being carnivores, wet cat food is more suitable for them as it contains the necessary animal-based protein, which is the main source of energy. Incorporating them both in your feline’s diet is highly recommended by almost all the veterinarians. Dry cat food is relatively cheaper than wet food and is very high on calories, but you can give them in little quantity to maintain their overall weight. But, it recommended that the percentage of wet cat food should be a little more than dry cat food like a 60 / 40 or 70 / 30 split would be ideal.
How can I slim my cat down?
You can restrict free eating for your cat and make them follow a strict diet schedule. Feed your cat foods that are high in animal proteins and low in carbohydrates. Consult your vet regarding your cat’s weight problem and incorporate both dry and wet cat food to their diet. Give them interactive toys that will increase their activity level and burn some fat. Spend some time playing with them and also if possible, take them out for a walk sometimes. Give them access to more rooms in your house to explore. You can try feeding them in different rooms at different times.