Joint and mobility issues are something that most older cats deal with.
The best way to take care of your senior kitty is to provide it with joint supplements.
In this article i have listed down ten of the best cat joint supplements in the market today.
The Best Cat Joint Supplements
1. Nutramax Cosequin Capsules
- Manufacturer: Nutramax Laboratories
- Dimension: 2.2 x 2.2 x 4 inches
- Weight: 0.8 ounces
- The capsules can be easily sprinkled on top of the cat’s food. It is, however, recommended to moisten dry food so that the content of the capsules stick to the food.
- This is one of the few joint supplements for cats which has been verified as a safe product by the top-level researchers in the veterinary field.
- Have proven to cure serious medical cases in cats, including arthritis
- Pet owners of senior cats have shown high satisfaction from the product too
- Some cats stopped eating the food in which the capsules were mixed, going nowhere near it.
- Some cats were reported to fall ill after eating the food mixed with the supplements
- Users reported a strong and distasteful smell
- Reported to be ineffective by some pet owners, as they saw no improvement in the cat.
- May cause the cat to vomit
2. Cosequin for Cats Soft Chews
- Manufacturer: Cosequin
- Dimension: 2 x 4.4 x 7.5 inches
- Weight: 3.4 ounces
- This chewable form has proven to be effective for cats who resist eating food on which medicine has been sprinkled.
- Comes in great flavor, making cats eager to try it consistently and eat it as a snack.
- The supplement is easy to administer, and dosage can be monitored effectively.
- Cats have shown significant improvement in their ability to walk and jump.
- Users have reported a rapid improvement in their pet’s health.
- Users have reported the supplement to be sometimes too hard to be chewed easily, which dissuades the cat from eating it entirely
- Some cats would not eat the chewable at all, making the supplement useless for the owners.
- Cats were reported to eat the chewable once but then stopped eating it after that. This could be possible due to poor taste or smell for some cats.
- The product should not be used for cats allergic to Shellfish, as one of the primary components is derived from shellfish.
3. GlycoFlex 3
- Manufacturer: VetriScience laboratories
- Dimension: 5 x 3 x 7 inches
- Weight: 4.6 ounces
- Cats in their old age and overweight cats have shown significant improvement in their health and movement after utilization of this supplement.
- Cats consider this joint supplement as a treat, due to its small size and delicious chicken liver flavor.
- GlycoFlex 3 has not only been approved by the FDA as an animal health product but has also been part of various academic studies.
- The GlycOmega Perna is one of the distinctive components of this supplement, and not only does it tackle inflammatory problems, but assists in catering to all connective tissue problems in the body.
- Suitable for all weight ranges
- Contains antioxidants for advanced joint support
- The smell of the supplement did not work with some cats.
- Some cats reported to throw up the supplement right after eating it, in addition to having gastric problems later on
- Not useful for some cats as they would not eat it in the first place.
4. Hemp Oil for Dogs and Cats
- Manufacturer: PB Pets
- Weight: 3.2 ounces
- Hemp Oil is an incredible aid for your cat’s digestion issues, including loss of appetite, gastrointestinal swelling, and nausea.
- It is proven to be useful for elder cats who may suffer from problems such as arthritis, along with deteriorating movement and energy.
- A great supplement for cats going through a post-surgery recovery, as it supports the cat’s healing process in regards to stiffness, strains, sprains, and even broken bones.
- This oil can be poured directly on the cat’s food, or given directly. Moreover, Hemp oil can be administered on a daily basis with your cat’s diet.
- May cause some pets to have diarrhea after initial consumption
- Some cat owners reported no improvement in the cat’s mobility.
- Cat owners have said that the oil did nothing for their cat’s anxiety and nervousness.
5. LubriSyn Joint Supplement
- Manufacturer: Lubrisyn
- Dimensions: 6 x 3 x 9 inches
- Weight: 1.2 pounds
- LubriSyn’s unique formula heals all sorts of ache and pain associated with movement and joints, revitalizing your cat.
- Not only is this supplement a necessary aid for aged cats, but it also acts as an essential tool for young cats which seek to improve and maintain their agility and level of activity.
- The supplement easily gets absorbs within the tissues of the cat, leading to immediate results.
- The supplement is clear and tasteless and is easy to administer on cats.
- Lubrisyn is considered more effective in comparison to powder and capsule form joint supplements.
- Cat owners have reported improvement in their cat’s level of movement within 1 or 2 weeks of consistent dosage.
- Helps cats in recovering from severe surgery.
- Pet owners have not shown complete satisfaction with the price of the supplement, as it is an expensive option
- Some cat owners reported no noticeable difference in their cat
6. NODENS CAT Hip and Joint
- Manufacturer: Nodens Pet Health
- Weight: 3 4.8 ounces
- Nodens supplement is covered by a 30-Day Money-Back guarantee.
- The supplement is made in the USA, manufactured with carefully selected ingredients of top-tier quality.
- NODENS Cat joint supplement is completely free of any shellfish allergens
- Special formula assists in lubricating the joints and improving the state of the connective tissues of a cat.
- Contains Taurine, as cats having taurine deficiency report having multiple health-related problems.
- On average, one bottle easily lasts for about two months, which is dramatically greater than alternative supplements.
- Some cats were reported to vomit after consuming this supplement
- Cat owners have remarked this supplement giving their cat diarrhea
- Not useful for some cats who would not eat the food with the added supplement due to its smell
7. Duralactin Feline Capsules
- Manufacturer: Veterinary Products
- Dimensions: 2 x 2 x 3.5 inches
- Weight: 2.4 ounces
- Duralactin is made from all-natural ingredients, which have no side effects on the cat’s health.
- Great for cats who have arthritis or increasing bone damage due to age or weight, as it repairs and restores bones to their original condition.
- Provides even better and rapid results if paired with other anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Contains a great taste for cats, which encourages them to eat it happily, in comparison to other supplements which cats avoid due to bad taste or smell
- A much better option in comparison to prescription drugs which may become toxic for the cats after consistent usage.
- Similar to the other options, cats have reported to throw up right after eating the food mixed with the capsules
- Pet owners have stated that the customer service of “Veterinary Products” was unsatisfactory
- Not good for cats which do not tolerate milk or cheese.
8. Antinol Merial Joint Health Supplement for Cats
- Manufacturer: Antinol
- Dimensions: 5 x 4 x 2 inches
- Weight: 0.8 ounces
- Along with mixing it up with your cat’s food, it can also be fed directly by hand.
- The extraction process involved in the creation of Antinol was formulated especially for this supplement, making the solution longer-lasting and effective
- Pet Owners have reported great results within a month of consistent dosage
- Cats turn out to be more friendly and excited after regaining their mobility
- The outer gel caps are hard, and cat owners have found them to be difficult to open and administer.
- The gel is expensive in comparison to other joint supplements for cats.
- Turned out to be ineffective for some cats, along with some cats not loving the flavor of the gel.
- Users have stated the gel does not properly mix with the pet’s food.
9. Pet Naturals of Vermont
- Manufacturer: Pet Naturals
- Dimensions: 2.9 x 2.9 x 5.2 inches
- Weight: 10.4 ounces
- The delicious natural duck flavor is loved by all cats, even cats that are choosy in what they eat.
- The formula of these chews contains two times more strength than other supplements in the market.
- Pet Naturals cat supplement acts as a much more affordable option for cat owners
- Offers more serving in comparison to other supplements of the same price.
- Approved by the National Animal Supplement Council and has a hundred percent satisfaction guarantee.
- Pet owners have observed significant improvement in their cat’s mobility and activity level.
- The green-lipped mussel may cause some cats to throw up after eating the supplement.
- Users have reported the chews to be all stuck together in the bottle, which makes it difficult to separate and administer, as there is always a fear of overdosage with chews stuck together.
10. 1-TDC Dual Action Natural Support
- Manufacturer: 1-TDC
- Weight: 3.2 ounces
- The capsule can be fed to the cat directly as a treat, or it can be squeezed out on their paws so that they can lick it off.
- Cats consider the supplement as a treat due to its beef flavor, making it easy to administer.
- The fur of the cat greatly softens, along with it being more immune to external threats.
- This supplement also helps with your pet’s oral health, eliminating undesirable smells like bad breath.
- The gel content is sometimes very hard to squeeze out, making it difficult to give it directly to the pet.
- Users have shown dissatisfaction with the newer version of the supplement with a “twist-off” top.
- Similar to other supplements, this one too has not been reported effective in some cases
What are the side effects of Cosequin?
Even though Cosequin is considered as a miracle cure for a cat’s joint issues, there are some cases where cats have experienced negative side effects after its consumption.
One of the side effects usually reported and discussed above; to is diarrhea due to the stomach being upset. This, however, usually happens for a short while after which it fades away. This may also cause nausea to some cats, leading to vomiting.
Furthermore, this could lead to an insignificant fall in the platelet functionality of the cat, causing blood clotting. Also, in some cases, the intake of Cosequin may result in worsening of pre-existing conditions within the cat, so it is always recommended to consult the vet before starting the supplements.
How do I know if my cat has arthritis?
Arthritis is a joint disease that causes great inflammation and pain in the joints. It is quite easy to identify if your cat has arthritis by observing if it has become lethargic, has shown reduced flexibility or if it is consistently uncomfortable. Stiffness and swelling of joints along with overall lameness in the cat’s behavior shows signs of arthritis too.
Additionally, observations include seeing if your cat is reluctant in running and climbing the stairs or has been careless in its litter box habits.
How can arthritis in cats be treated?
It is highly recommended to consult a vet for a complete treatment, but some general solutions include prescription pain medications given to cats. Additionally, you may use nutritional supplements, which were discussed in this article, and you may also work on reducing your cat’s weight, as weight loss has been proven to be a great solution for dealing with arthritis in cats.
So what’s your pick for the best cat joint supplement? Comment below 🙂