All cat owners are more than familiar with the pungent litter odor that lingers at every corner of the house.
Since you are here right now, I can only assume you are going through the same problem. Rest assured, you’ve come to the right place.
What if i tell you there is a solution?
I have tried and tested dozens of litter boxes to bring you the ones that have great odor control properties.
You can thank me later!
Read ahead and find out for yourself. I have listed down the ten best cat litter boxes for odor control.
Best Cat Litter Box for Odor Control
Let’s get straight to it; below are the five best litter boxes;
|Products||Durability||Ease of Use|
|Patit Tidy Cats Breeze||Yes||Yes|
|Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan||Yes||No|
|Nature’s Miracle High Sided Litter Box||Yes||No|
|Pet Mate Arm & Hammer Large Sifting Litter Pan||No||Yes|
|Kitty’s Wonderbox Disposable Litter Box||Yes||Yes|
1. Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Box System
- Production Dimensions: 16.5 x 21 x 10.5 inches
- Weight: 9.3 pounds
- Color: Multiple colors
- The litter box system comes with an entire kit that includes pellets, pads, and scoop, which could last for a month.
- The large size of the litter box makes it usable for more than one cat.
- The urine that gets absorbed really reduces the smell significantly. You can now breathe peacefully at your home.
- At the end of the day, this entire convenient litter box system comes at an affordable cost.
- You wouldn’t have to deal with the litter boxes with doors that make it difficult to clean up and stinks terribly.
- Despite how great those pellets are, they eventually run out, and they are relatively expensive to purchase. Plus, they don’t really smell all that great.
- It’s dangerous because your cat may end up eating the pellets, and this could very well kill him/her.
- Pellets that come with the kit are bulky and thus difficult to work with the system. You may want to buy another brand of pellets.
- Due to the bulky size, some of the cat’s poop would stick to them and make it difficult to scoop out.
- The cat can’t cover up their poop entirely in this litter. So, when they take a nasty dump, you can’t escape that smell.
2. Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
- Production Dimensions: 22.4 x 17 x 18.3 inches
- Weight: 5.1 pounds
- Color: Warm Gray
- The large size of the litter box means your cat will have more than enough space to themselves. Your cat will have all the comfort and privacy it needs.
- The opening in the litter box makes it easy for you to reach in work with the scooper and get out. It’s super easy to clean.
- The litter box can be used by more than one cat. To paint a picture, three medium-sized cats can fit into the litter box at the same time.
- The jumbo size makes it a great pick for pet parents of large cats.
- If your cat pees high, it will escape the box. You can figure out the rest. It’s not going to be fun cleaning it up or smelling it.
- It has inconsistent quality; at times, you might get lucky and end up with a sturdy and strong litter box. Or, you may end up with a weak and bendy litter box.
- The cat could have a hard time figuring out how to get in and out of the plastic door.
- The clips that keep the top and bottom parts of the litter box together can easily break.
3. Nature’s Miracle High Sided Litter Box
- Production Dimensions: 23 x 18.5 x 11 inches
- Weight: 1.75 pounds
- Color: Black
- Due to the large size of the litter box, it can be used for owners of multiple cats.
- For the owners of a medium-sized cat, this is a perfect choice because the litter box is so spacious.
- The litter box also has handles which you may use to lift and move the litter box, if necessary conveniently.
- The low front prevents cats from tipping over the litter box.
- While cleaning the litter box, you will native it has smooth rounded curves, which means it won’t get on the sides when you are scooping it up. Often times, while cleaning the litter box, it gets stuck on the sides and drops into the litter box.
- Here is a fun fact: you can also use the litter box like a cat house. Flip it over and watch the cat go bonkers.
- Despite the high sides, the cats use the low front to spread litter everywhere.
- Additionally, the size of the litter box is good for medium to small cats, but it can defeat the purpose of large-sized cats.
- In other ways, the design is flawed because the cats pee high will leak all over the floor.
- Due to the low front, it means there is less litter in the box. This counteracts the whole point of getting a deep litter box in the first place.
4. Pet Mate Arm & Hammer Large Sifting Litter Pan
- Production Dimensions: 18.9 x 15.2 x 7.9 inches
- Weight: 2.55 pounds
- Color: Grey
- Material: Polymer
- The sifting process really makes it easier and faster to get rid of the litter.
- From time to time, you will have to clean the litter box, and The Petmate Arm and Hammer is super easy to clean with just soap and water.
- The litter box is simple in design and simple to use. It doesn’t have any complex mechanism.
- There are some bits of poop that are left behind in the sifting process.
- A raving benefit of this litter box is the fact that sawdust (which is used for cat litter) easily passes through while the pellets stay on top.
- The swifter is very effective at cleaning out the poop.
- This is relatively cheaper than other sifting pan litter boxes.
- The large gap through which the cat enters is a flawed design. The large gap makes it easier for the cat to throw the litter outside.
- The litter box, in general, is too small, even for some kittens.
- A major concern regarding this product is that the litter sticks to the side of the box.
- Considering the small design, it is not suitable for people that own more than one cat.
- It has been suggested that the cat can use the large gap to pee outside the box.
- Use to the number of boxes; the owners would have to use twice the litter for the cat.
- The plastic of the box can break easily.
- The pee could stick to the holes in the box, and as a result, it is difficult to get rid of the smell.
5. Kitty’s Wonderbox Disposable Litter Box
- Production Dimensions: 12.2 x 14.2 x 2.2 inches
- Weight: 1.65 pounds
- Material: Biodegradable recycled paper
- As advertised, you can use the litter box as a liner for a litter pan.
- You don’t have to scoop regularly.
- The litter box is sturdy in design; it is deemed difficult to tear apart.
- Since it is disposable, you will have to change it within a month, but you will get them in a pack of three.
- It is of great help for those that plan on taking a trip anytime soon with their cat.
- Reduces the odor greatly when you are using it as a plastic liner.
- The litterbox is effortless; you no longer have to spend an hour cleaning the plastic litter box.
- Thanks to the biodegradable material, it is safe to throw it away after you’re done with the product.
- Majority of people have not faced any leakage.
- Despite the clay material, it doesn’t get soggy, remaining fresh and odorless.
- As it is made of clay, the pee sticks to the paper and creates a terrible smell.
- Though it is advertised as indestructible, a cat that has a habit of scratching will leave out pieces of paper.
- Despite the fact it is made for medium-sized cats, the size is very small.
- The sides are not high enough for adult cats.
- Though these are supposed to last for a month, the papery interior peels off, or the sides are scraped. Due to these reasons, you may have to throw them out in less than a week.
- Due to the small sides, it is easy for the cat to spill the litter.
- In recent times, customers have complained that it starts leaking, and thus, creates a nauseous smell.
- It doesn’t last longer than a week, let alone a month.
6. Van Ness Large High Sides Cat Litter Pan
- Production Dimensions: 17.5 x 15 x 9 inches
- Weight: 1 pound
- Color: Assortment of Colors
- The litter pan is good for cats of all sizes.
- It is a great product at an affordable price.
- Despite the high-sides, some cats can manage to flip it over, but the scattered litter is much less in contrast to other litter boxes.
- The high-sides prevent the cat from littering outside.
- It also prevents them from peeing out of the box.
- The curvy sides make it easier to clean.
- Despite the variety of colors, you cannot select the color when purchasing the litter box. You’ll have to suffice with a little Russian roulette here.
- Large and playful cats will manage to fling it over because it is very small in size.
- It does not have a top like most litter boxes. However, you can still purchase it if necessary.
- Despite the advertised large size, it really isn’t suitable for large cats or small cats. It might be best for pet parents of a kitten.
- Clumps of pee tend to stick to the sides and the bottom of the litter box.
- They have a design flaw when the length of the litter box is adequate, but the width is too narrow.
- Due to the small size, it is gets filled up quickly. Meaning, you will have to clean it more often.
7. IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box with Cat Litter Scoop
- Production Dimensions: 16.1 x 20.5 x 14.6 inches
- Weight: 4.6 pounds
- Color: Black, Grey, and multiple colors
- Not only is it a great design, but it also makes it easy for you to clean.
- It gives your cat the much-needed privacy.
- You can use normal pine pellets, and the smell will seamlessly disintegrate in with the moisture and sawdust in the litter box.
- The litter box can be conveniently placed in a small space.
- It is perfect for small adult cats.
- Due to the high sides, it is impossible for the cats to litter outside.
- Keeping the great design and functionality aside, it is all useless because the box can reportedly crack easily.
- The grooved lid easily pops off or collapses while the cat is still inside.
- It can be challenging to train some cats to use the litter box.
- There are complaints regarding the increase in cat tracking; this means the cat spreads the litter outside the box because it is stuck to its paws.
- Cats that don’t like to jump or can’t jump will not be keen on using their new litter box.
- Since there are no handles, it can be difficult to carry.
- Considering the scoop is straight, it can be difficult to clean because of the curved design.
- Due to the large depth, you will have to use more dust and litter.
8. PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Cat Litter Box, Covered, Automatic with Disposable Tray, 2 Color Options
- Production Dimensions: 27.5 x 19 x 16 inches
- Weight: 21 pounds
- Color: Purple and Taupe
- The rake rusts are wet, which cause the rust and are easy to clean.
- If you find an alternative to the crystals, you can get rid of an odor problem.
- Moreover, it is suggested that the forever tray is more beneficial to use. The ultra-model doesn’t have any issues.
- The product really works well at self-cleaning and odor control as advertised, but it requires a lot of maintenance.
- The product isn’t waterproof, and this leads to a clogged panel.
- Due to the flawed design as described above, the product doesn’t last long.
- The box does leak urine, which creates the smell, and it could also damage the floor.
- The box is too small for medium or large-sized cats.
- Since the cat covers the sensor, the cat will not self-clean, thus defeating the innovative purpose of this product.
- As a result of the urine leakage and the faulty tray, the odor becomes a concerning issue.
- The shallow pan doesn’t have enough space to hold the crystal litter and waste.
- The poop sticks to the rake, making it a cumbersome task to clean it out.
- You should replace the tray as it is bulky and inconvenient.
- Replacing the tray can be expensive.
9. AmazonBasics Hooded Cat Litter Box
- Production Dimensions: 20.7 x 15.8 x 15 inches
- Weight: 2.7 pounds
- Color: Standard
- Material: Polypropylene plastic
- Normally cats find it difficult to work their way around the doors, so you can easily remove it from Amazon Basic’s litter box.
- The door does manage to contain the litter inside and prevent it from spilling.
- The thick plastic increases the life durability of the product.
- Considering the quality of the litter box, it comes at a great affordable price.
- The interior is stick-proof, making it very easy for you to clean.
- It is spacious enough for your cat (even if it is a larger one) to comfortably go inside and take a dump.
- Carbon filter works well at keeping the odor in control.
- You can add/remove the hood when needed due to the easy snap-on feature.
- There is a small area inside the litter box, which is difficult to reach in and clean.
- The lid can crack open if gentle pressure is applied.
- People find it difficult to clean out of the corners of the litter box.
- The sides are not as high as they look in the pictures.
- The floor design could trap the cat or even graze their feet.
- At times, the boxes tend to leak, and the urine spills over.
10. Omega Paw Elite Self Cleaning Roll ‘n Clean Litter Box
- Production Dimensions: 18.5 x 21.5 x 20 inches
- Weight: 6.5 pounds
- Color: Midnight Black
- The litter spills out at times, but it works better than an average pan.
- People with joint problems find it easy to use the product.
- Due to the unique design, the litter doesn’t spill out.
- It is easy to assemble the entire product.
- The litter box is spacious enough for large cats.
- As per the advertisement, it is very easy to use.
- Though the litter stays inside for most of the time, your cat can track the litter outside.
- The latch at the back is loose, so when you roll it over the litter can spill out.
- The little step tends to create a mess.
- Omega’s has a leaking problem with this litter box.
- Due to the leaking problems, when peeing, the urine can spill out and rot your noses.
- The tray is not durable; it can easily get cracks.
- In practice, regardless of ease to use, the poop or clumps of urine rarely make it to the tray.
- The plastic sifter is ineffective as it leaves out some poop.
- As the majority of the poops and clumps are left behind, you will end up scooping them, and it is impossible to scoop it all out.
Tips to Reduce Litter Box Smell
Sometimes the litter box itself isn’t enough to get rid of the odor your cat leaves behind. So, to make things a bit more easily, I’ve summed up a couple of tips that can help you fight that torturous smell.
What To Look For When Buying a Litter Box
For the first time pet parents and those that need some help, this section is meant for you. It can be tricky to get everything right on your first experience. So, if you just got a cat that still needs a litter box, allow me to help. Without further delay, let’s start;
Bonus: Types of Litter Box
Disposable Litter Box: One of these guys were listed in our top 10, you can scroll up and find this bad boy. But, while you are here, let me break it down. What is a disposable litter box? Well, this is a litter box which you can throw out once it gets dirty. You don’t have to clean it every day. Since you will have to throw it away, it also means that you will have to get another disposable litter box. They usually last for a week or a month. These are recommended for pet parents that travel a lot with their cats.
Electric Litter Box: An electric self-cleaning litter box is a type of litter box that runs with a motor that takes care of the scooping. You are set free from the scooping duty. What’s the catch? The motor makes noise which frightens the cats. Plus, you will still have to clean out the tray after the litter box scoops out the waste.
What is the best litter box for odor control?
- Patit Tidy Cats Breeze
- Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
- Nature’s Miracle High Sided Litter Box
- Pet Mate Arm & Hammer Large Sifting Litter Pan
- Kitty’s Wonderbox Disposable Litter Box
Which litter box is best for cats?
- Our Top Pick: Patit Tidy Cats Breeze
- Our Runner Up Pick: Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
- Best Budget Pick: Van Ness Large High Sides Cat Litter Pan
- Best Enclosed Cat Litter Box: Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Litter Pan
What is the best litter box for large cats?
The top 10 litter boxes for large cats are;
- Petmate Giant Litter Pan Cat Litter Box
- Van Ness Giant High Sides Cat Litter Pan
- Nature’s Miracle Oval Hooded Flip Top Litter Box
- Petmate Litter Pan
- Nature’s Miracle Jumbo Disposable Cat Litter Box with Baking Soda
- Petmate Kitty Komplete Jumbo Hooded Litter Pan
- Catit Hooded Cat Litter Pan
- Nature’s Miracle High-Sided Litter Box
- Kattails Kat Kave Litter Box
- Petmate Open Litter Pan
How do I keep my litter box from smelling?
You can control the smelling by regularly scooping the litter box. Secondly, you should replace the litter twice in a week. I would advise you to get a new litter box every year because the odor resistance loses effectiveness over time. Next, you could try deodorizers. The brand of litter could make a difference, find the one best suitable for your cat.
Tip: Find a ventilated area to keep the litter
- Best Bengal Cats Litter Boxes
- What Are The Best Self Cleaning Cat Litter Boxes Available Out There?
- Our Picks For The Best Clumping Cat Litters
- How can I control cat litter box odor?
- Cat Litter Box Smell Solutions!
- What to do about cat’s litter box smell?