You’ll admit when I say:
For cat people, the cat is man’s best chum and just like men cats also need a little nail trimming now and then. What would happen if we do not cut the cat’s nails, you might ask.
Well, there are several problems associated with not cutting a cat’s nails:
- If the cat’s claws are not trimmed for a fairly long time, they curl in on themselves and start digging into the footpad. You’d not like to see your pet limping due to pain.
- Untrimmed claws can hurt you, your guests, family and especially kids.
- Untrimmed claws are the worst enemy of the plush and delicate upholstery on your furniture
So, it is pretty much settled that you avoid trimming your cat’s claws. Right?
The only question that arises here is as to which cat nail trimmer to use.
Well, in this review of 13 best cat nail clippers, you’d be able to pick one of the top 13 cat nail trimmers and there will be a cat nail clippers buyer’s guide for those who want to pick their cat’s nail trimmer from Amazon.
The Best Cat Nail Clippers
- Best Overall
Boshel Nail Clippers & Trimmer
It is an Amazon’s Choice nail clipper with 5000+ reviews, recommended by experts and its blade can never be blunt because it is made of pure stainless steel.
- Best Safe
Epica Best Professional Nail Clipper
Not only considered best and safe by over 4,500+ happy customers, but it also comes safety lock the prevents the user from hurting themselves or the cat.
- Best for Standard Size Cats
Safari Pet Products Professional Stainless Steel Nail Trimmer
This cat nail clippers set are best for standard size cats. From medium to big, all kinds of cats’ nails can be trimmed using this trimmer.
- Best Cat Scissors
Pet Republique Professional Nail Clippers
Cat nail clippers are based on two different designs: pliers and scissors. Both of them work with the same business end (mostly), but you handle them differently. This one is scissors by nature.
- Best Non-slip Grip
GoPets Nail Clippers for Cats
These cat nail clipping pliers come with large non-slip coated handles that make it impossible for this clipper to slip from your hand.
- Best Budget Nail Clippers
Millers Forge Stainless Steel Nail Clippers
There’s a tie between this and another nail clipper’s price, but considering the value for money, this seems to be the best budget nail clippers.
- Best Nail Clippers for Small Cats
Shiny Pet Nail Clippers for Small Animals
Shiny Pet Nail Clippers is the best nail trimmer that you will find for small cats and kittens.
How to Safely Trim a Cat’s Nails
Dr. Greenway discusses advice for trimming a cat’s nails.
And now, here are the reviews of the best cat nail clippers and trimmers
1. Boshel Nail Clippers and Trimmer
This cat nail clipper got the biggest number of orders and reviews on Amazon – not to mention Amazon’s Choice tag. The reason that I can fathom is a fine design, free nailfile and high-quality stainless steel blades that ensure clean cuts every time.
The grip of this nail clipper feels like rubber, although it is a simple slip-proof and easy-grip coating. The best thing about these trimmers is how they cut the nail without much effort and without splitting the nails.
- Easy to operate
- Recommended by professional animal trainers, vets, pet groomers and 5000+ happy customers
- Clean cutting of nails
- 3.5mm stainless steel sharp blades
- One cut nail cutting – – with no damage to the nail
- Safety stop in the left handle of the clipper prevents damage to quick
- Free mini nail file placed in the left handle of the clipper
- Ergonomic handles
- Non-slip easy grips
- Equally good for right-handers and lefties
- Works well to cut thick nails – even those of big cats and dogs
- Made for novice owners of cats and dogs
2. Epica Nail Clippers & Trimmer
Epica is a different type of deal – I personally loved it because of its gentle but firm rubberized grips. The handles are almost impossible to slip and the high-grade stainless steel blades rarely miss a cut – if at all.
If you want to know how effective or how good they could be for your little kitty cat or a kitten, let me tell you that as per a customer’s review, they’re good enough to cut much bigger, thicker and harder German Shepherd’s nails – let alone a cat’s nails.
- Slip-proof rubberized grips
- High-grade stainless steel blades
- Good enough to cut big, thick and hard nails
- Engineered for precise cutting
- One of the easiest nail cutting tools on my list
- Blade spacing allows the nail trimmer to cut from medium to large-sized nails
- Clipper safety lock brings both handles close to make it impossible to cut anything
- Blades remain sharp figuratively forever
- Zero bends, scratches or rust
- Effortless and smooth cutting with no ragged ends
3. Safari Nail Clippers & Trimmer
Safari is called so because of the safari green color handles. Speaking of which, I must mention how comfortable and sturdy those rubber-coated handles feel. They are literally the best slip-proof handles that I’ve seen on tools like these and others.
Since these nail clippers are made of stainless steel and designed for sharp and seamless cutting, there is a safety feature that makes it impossible for you to cut yourself, or your pet or their quicks.
Based on its features, it can be declared a pretty standard stainless steel cat nail trimmer.
- Trimmer is good enough to cut big and thick dog nails – let alone the cat’s
- 100% stainless steel blades
- Made for neat and clean cutting – with no ragged ends
- Cut the nails with no damage to quicks
- Safety stop to prevent accidental injury
- For all sizes of dogs and cats
- Blades sharper cheap nail clippers
- Long-lasting blades
- Safety lock locks the blades and handles
- Reportedly “wonderful” for big and small cats
- Sharpness lasts for at least 2 years
4. Pet Republique Nail Clippers & Trimmer
Now this one is different from the previous 3 nail clippers and trimmers and a few others on this list. Why? Because by nature these are scissors; however on the business end, they work the same way as pliers-style nail clippers do.
These nail clippers are especially for small animals like small cats, kittens, rabbits, puppies, and guinea pigs, etc. However, since the blades of these nail clippers are also made of stainless steel, you can cut thicker and bigger nails.
Since essentially they’re scissors and not pliers, it is definitely easy to admit, that the kind of control you enjoy on these nail clippers is betted when compared to the nail clippers that are pliers by nature.
- 100% Stainless steel blades
- The sharpness of blades is guaranteed for 4 years
- Clippers made especially for small animals including cats and kittens
- Guaranteed for sturdiness
- Instructions and tips printed at the back of the package
- 90 days money-back guarantee
- Equally good for right-handers as well as lefties
- Soft rubberized grip
5. GoPets Nail Clippers & Trimmer
GoPets nail clippers and trimmer are just one of quite handful Amazon’s Choice cat nail clippers that we have reviewed in this post. It also got an overall 4.5 rating which is better than a lot of trimmers on this list.
The non-slip rubber-coated handles of this nail clipper make it super easy to hold and it is almost impossible for them to slip from your sweaty hands.
The stainless steel blades of this cuter remain sharp for a very long time – and you won’t see rust and other steel problems happening to them.
- Non-slip rubberized grips
- Amazon’s Choice tag
- Free Nail File
- Recommended by veterinarians, professional groomers, trainers and 1000+ happy customers
- 3.5mm stainless steel blades make swift and clean cuts
- Cuts all sorts of nails – thicker and biggers ones too
- Safety guard prevents cutting the quick
- Safety lock to lock the blades and prevent accidental injury
- Easy to get a replacement
- Years of trouble-free cutting
- Good for adult cats as well as the kittens
6. Millers Forge Nail Clippers & Trimmer
This is the best budget cat nail trimmer on my list; and yet, the lowest price does not make it a poor standard product. To start with, it is not like those China-made cat nail clippers that you’ve seen so far, but it is made in the USA or imported from countries that comply with the USA’s standards.
Another edge is its red rubber handle covers – yes you read it right, there is no plastic-rubber coating on these handles, but real rubber covers that make it easier to control and more slip-proof as compared to “rubber-coated” grips.
Yet the real innovation is the moveable built-in guard; if you’re a novice, use the guard to prevent cutting the quick and if you’re an expert, just cut the nail in one go.
- Made in the USA
- Plier style nail clipper
- Comfortable red-colored plastic grips make it slip-proof
- Guard to prevent cutting quicks
- Cut the entirety of nail in one cut when the guard is not in a position (for experts only)
- Safety lock to hold the trimmers closed
- For all sizes of cats and kittens
- High-quality stainless steel blades
- Blades stay sharp for as long as around 10 years
- Quietly cutting blades – no noise
7. Shiny Pet Nail Clippers & Trimmer
This is yet another piece of scissors – the business end is the same, but it is a scissor-based nail trimmer. The best thing about these nail clippers is that they are specially made for small animals and birds.
Whether you need nail clippers for a big adult cat or a small cat breed or kittens, nothing can possibly go wrong with these blades. At the business end of this tool are two razor-sharp blades made of 100% stainless steel.
Rest assured that these nail clippers will last for many years to come.
- Scissors style nail clippers
- Made for all size cats and kittens
- 100% stainless steel razor-sharp blades
- 100% recycled plastic slip-proof handles
- Designed to nicely trim small animals’ nails
- Comes with a ‘how-to’ ebook
- Hypoallergenic blades
- Comfortable finger rests
- Backed by a lifetime money-back warranty
8. Gonicc Nail Clippers & Trimmer
Gonicc is one of the most famous brands when it comes to nail clippers and trimmer. Take this one product for an example; it comes packed and loaded with all the key features and freebies that high-quality cat nail trimmers offer.
We’re talking about hardened stainless steel, ergonomic slip-proof handles, free nail file, quick safety guard and the safety lock the prevents accidental cutting and injuries to both: kids and adults.
It is because of these reasons and 750+ happy customers that this product has got this “#1 Best Seller” tag.
- Ergonomically designed slip-proof handles
- Hardened stainless steel sharp blades
- Blades and handles locking system to prevent accidents
- Quick safety guard to prevent overcutting
- Free nail file
- Lifetime warranty/replacements
- Known for seamless and quick nail cutting
- Guard can be withdrawn to cut the nail in one go (for experts)
- Locking mechanism helps the blades function properly
- Easy and comfortable handling
- Works perfectly fine on curled nails
9. CleanHouse Pets Nail Clippers & Trimmer
This is one just another good quality cat nail clipper. It has a professional-grade stainless steel frame and almost razor-sharp cutters that cut the nail without much effort.
It is yet another “Amazon’s Choice” tag nail trimmer and overall rating is very positive. Main features of CleanHouse Pets nail clippers are comfortable grips, safety switch that makes the clippers secure for the user and the kids, and good for packing, and the safety guard to keep you from cutting the quick.
- Professional-grade stainless steel structure and blades
- Easy to use safety lock that holds the blades and handles close
- Quick safety guard that prevents overcutting
- Comfortable grips on the handles
- Sharp blades cut the nail without any problem or noise
- Good for all sorts of big and small animals
- Cut all sorts of thick and thin – big and small nails
- Lifetime moneyback warranty
- Beautiful color pattern and finishing to it
- Small curves on the outside of handles ensure a tight grip
- Made especially for small cats and kittens – or other small animals
10. H&H Pets Nail Clippers & Trimmer
This is yet another scissors-based set of cat nail clippers and trimmer. The ergonomic handles of this scissor are rubber coated for a strong and non-slip grip.
One the outside of the handle’s ring, there are small curves that are made for better thumb grip and good control. At the business end of this cat nail trimmer are two hypoallergenic and sharp stainless steel blades. The ‘Amazon’s Choice’ tag shows the quality of this product.
Apart from the mentioned problems, the only problem I found with this nail trimmer is that it is too small; people with big hands or those who are used to big-size nail clippers cannot easily use this one.
- Ergonomic handles with curves for better thumb grip
- Rubber coating makes the handles slip-proof
- High-quality stainless steel structure and hypoallergenic blades
- Lightweight and still effective
- Made especially for small animals – including cats and kittens
- Scissor based nail clippers
- 100% money-back lifetime guarantee
- Sharp and smooth noiseless cutting
11. Whisker Wishes Nail Clippers & Trimmer
Yet another scissor-based set of cal nail clippers and trimmer. While I personally find it easy to cut nails with scissors (not pliers), the problem with these variants is that they neither have the quick safety guard nor the safety lock the locks both of the handles and blades.
It is a design flaw that you’d notice in all scissor-based nail trimmers on this list.
Now talking about the good stuff, I must admit that the quality of this item impresses me. For starters, it has high-quality stainless steel blades that ensure a swift and sharp cutting.
The handles have really good grips inside that make the whole deal non-slip – not to mention the high-quality rubber coating on these handles.
- High-quality stainless steel structure
- Stainless steel blades ensure swift and easy cutting
- Equally good for right-handers and lefties
- Rubber coating on the handles and the comb-like design make the clippers non-slip
- Precise cutting helps your cats and your furniture from any type of damage
- Works great on cats, kittens, and other small animals/birds
- Larger finger holes for big hands and thick fingers
- Circle of the blade easily gets hold of nail’s sharp end and cuts it
12. Fur Goodness Sake Nail Clippers & Trimmer
Fur Goodness Sake does not only have a funny product name but the product itself also exudes quality and uniqueness. These nail clippers are known for a precise and quick cut.
These nail clippers are made of 100% stainless steel; which does not only ensure a good cut, but also the longevity of this product. The handles are designed for good ergonomic effect and the non-slip coating on these handles makes it easy for the users to have a strong grip on them.
These nail clippers come with a free gift: a pink nail file that customers happen to like for its color and fine finish.
- Clean and precise cut
- 100% stainless steel blades
- Ergonomic – easy to hold handles
- Non-slip plastic coating on handles
- Safety hook to lock the handles as well as the blades
- Free pink-colored nail file
- Perfect for right-handers and lefties
- Perfect for big and small hands
- Noiseless clippers
13. PetFun Nail Clippers & Trimmer
Last, but not the least, PetFun nail clippers and trimmer make it to the last listing on our list. These nail clippers have an amazing 5/5 star rating on Amazon with 30+ sales so far.
The blades are very sharp and they are made of high-quality stainless steel. The handles, have an ergonomic built, and the curves on the outside make them impossible to get slipped out of your hands.
However, it is actually rubber coating (instead of cheap plastic one), that makes this trimmer 100% non-slip. Apart from these details, this trimmer seems to be checking all other boxes as well.
- Stainless steel structure
- Razor-sharp blades for precision cutting
- Ergonomically designed handles with curves for better grip
- Rubber coated handles
- Good for big animals as well as small animals e.g. cats
- Quick safety guard – can be removed to cut the whole nail (only for experts)
- Safety lock to have both handles and blades in a closed position
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Totally quiet and noiseless cutting
- No nail crushing or splinters
- Equally good for big and small, thick and thin nails
- Equally easy to use for right-handers and lefties
Cat Nail Clippers Buyer’s Guide
Here you are with 13 best cat nail cutters that you can buy from Amazon. However, while I am pretty sure that these listings should be considered the top cat nail trimmers, let us admit that all cats are not created equal.
Since only you know the kind of meow you have at home and what are its unique nail trimming needs e.g. too thick nails, you have the right to pick a cat nail trimmer to the best of your knowledge.
This is the reason why I had to give a breakdown of all the important qualities that you must look for and the problems that you should avoid. I made this list to the best of my knowledge, so if you want to know what to look for while buying a cat nail trimmer, all you need to do is just keep reading.
A difficult word to chew on, but when you are out looking for a cat’s nail clippers, you need to be very specific about a few facts and requirements.
Take a look here:
- Is the trimmer for cats and dogs and all sorts of small birds and animals, or is it a cat only trimmer. Let me tell you the truth; there aren’t many cat-only nail trimmers and considering how a dog is Americans’ number one pet, most of the companies market pet nail clippers as dog nail clippers.
- Since you know that it is hard to find nail clippers marketed as “cat nail clippers”, just check the tool, take a look at its size and other details, and you’ll know whether it is for your kitty or not.
- Be specific about whether you can cut a cat’s nail in one go – without hurting the quick, or you need that little useful piece of stainless steel that keeps people from overcutting the nail?
Just be specific about what kind of nail clipper you need.
You do not want to see your cat’s little nails turned into a disaster … splinters and sharp edges etc. You want to make sure that your cat’s nails are done nicely and that cannot be made possible without really sharp blades.
Here is how you can make sure that you pick the cat nails trimmer with sharpest blades.
- Make sure that you do not buy a cat trimmer whose blades are not made of high-grade stainless steel. You want industry grade stainless steel blades because they do not catch rust or other problems.
- Make sure that you apply due diligence. Almost all of these nail clippers claim the same kind of attributes e.g. high-quality stainless steel or professional-grade stainless steel, but you have to be vigilant and read the reviews.
- In reviews, a lot of people have complained about how the newly acquired nail clippers’ blades crushed the nail and left splinters to take care of. In the same reviews, people have appreciated how sharp and reliable stainless steel blades cut their cat’s nails in one swift and sharp move.
C) Quick Protection Guard
While most of the nail clippers on this list have those quick protection guards that protect the nails from being overcut, there are those that come with no quick protection guards.
Boshel, for example, is one of many cat nail clippers that come with quick protection guards. For example, all scissor-style nail cutters do not have quick protection guards and a few plier-style nail clippers also do not have those guards – for example, Fur Goodness Sake.
Here are a few points for your consideration:
- First thing first – you need to know what is quick. If your cat’s nails are light-colored, you should be able to see a blood vessel that comes from the claw and ends a few millimeters before the pointy end of a nail. This blood vessel supplies blood to the nail and makes sure that the nail remains healthy and growing.
- If you cut that quick, which many people end up doing, you get exposed to trauma and so does your kitty. It is because with quick you cut that blood vessel and blood is all over there – all you can do is immediately take the cat to the emergency veterinary services.
- The quick protection guard is a small piece of metal that is screwed right behind the two cutters, it does not let cutters over cut the nail and in one go you only cut a little part – and you repeat the drill until you see that you’re close to quick.
- Now, experts who can see the quick and handle a reluctant cat, can easily cut the nail (excluding quick) in one go and they can use scissor-based nail cutters or Fur Goodness Sake plier-based one, but for beginners, it is best to get a cat nail cutter with a quick protection guard.
D) Safety Lock
Now, leaving outside the scissor-based cat nail clippers, all others have safety locks. These nail clippers come with razor-sharp cutters and you cannot risk your kids’ safety, because if a toddler finds this thing without any safety lock, they would definitely end up hurting themselves.
It gets tricky because there are three types of cutter safety locks. Let us try to understand all types of safety locks and why one is better than the other two.
- The first one is what you will most probably find in almost all plier-based cat nail cutters. That is a little stainless steel safety catch that you can see right next to the stainless steel cutters. You push it upwards and it locks the cutters and handles in a closed position. Now, this is the most common type of safety lock that you would notice, but the problem is that with the passage of time, that lock gets loosened and it will automatically lock the cutters during nail cutting. That is simply dangerous – especially if you have a cat that panics a lot.
- A few nail clippers like Gonnic come with a little black knob on the left handle; push it upwards and you will lock your blades and handles, pull it downwards and you will open the same. This knob, in my personal opinion, is a better solution than the metal catch, because while it may loosen, it will not loosen so quick.
- The third and last option is less mechanical and more conventional. It is a metal hook that is attached to the left handle and there is a loop made in the right one. Bring both handles closer (and the cutters too), and make sure that you stick the hook into the loop and job is done. I prefer this solution because it is a simple design and that hook and that loop aren’t going anywhere. GoPets nail clippers have the same locking mechanism.
E) The Handles
Remember, if your cat nail cutter’s handles are not ergonomically built and the grip is not sturdy, even the best stainless steel cutters will fail to do the job.
Whether you like the plier-based design or scissor-based one, handles matter a lot and make sure that when you buy a cat nail trimmer for your furry fury, the handles must have the following qualities.
- In case of plier-based cutter’s handles, make sure that there is a curvey design on the outside of the handle, just like in case of Safari professional nail trimmer – or at least one big curve, because human hands easily conform to curves and establish a better grip on the handle. Always pick a nail cutter with curvey handles over a straight handles one.
- In the case of scissor-based cutter’s handles make sure that the finger-holes are big enough to accommodate even the thickest fingers. In the case of such nail cutters, it is better if you have little sharp curves or comb-like structure on the inside straight walls of finger holes. As you can see in the case of Pet Republique nail clippers.
- There are mostly two kinds of materials used in the coating (these handles are stainless steel, what you see is actually a coating on the hidden structure): plastic or rubber. While plastic-coated handles can offer proper grip, it is a known fact that plastic does not offer as better a grip as rubber can. So yes, always go for cat nail cutters with rubber-coated handles.
Last, but not the least, if you’re bent on free stuff, make sure that you buy a high-quality cat nail trimmer with some useful free stuff. For example, a handful of these cat nail trimmers come with a free nail file and then there is one that comes with a very useful eBook on how to cut/trim pet nails.
These were a few very important points to look for while buying cat nail clippers. Take care of them or just pick one of the top cat nail clippers that I’ve reviewed above.
And as always, let me know via comment box below, about your feedback, questions, concerns, and objections.
So what’s your pick for the best cat nail clipper? Let us know in the comment section below! 🙂