The cute and fluffy chinchillas make wonderful pets.
They are active and intelligent with lots of energy to expel.
This means that they need lots of physical and mental stimulation.
And you know what that calls for!
Yes, lots of toys and exercise wheels to keep them happy and stimulated and to prevent boredom.
In this guide, let’s take a look at some of the top toys and exercise wheels suitable for your chinchilla pet.
Best Chinchilla Toys and Exercise Wheels
|Product Name||Satisfies chewing instincts||Physical stimulation|
|Ware Manufacturing Willow Branch Ball for Small Animals||Yes||Yes|
|Kaytee Giant Chinchilla Run-About Exercise Ball||No||Yes|
|Christmas Tree Hamster Chew Toy||Yes||Yes|
|Kaytee Carousel Chew Toy Carrot||Yes||Yes|
|Kaytee Chinchilla Lava Ledge||Yes||Yes|
|Quality Cage Crafters Chin Spin||No||Yes|
|Taiguang Eco Board Mini Seesaw||Yes||Yes|
1. Ware Manufacturing Willow Branch Ball for Small Animals
- All natural willow branch chew
- Completely safe for pets to nibble
- Measures 4 x 4 x 4
- Weighs 0.8 ounces (when shipped)
- made from an all-natural willow branch
- safe for chinchillas, rabbits, hamsters, and gerbils to chew on
- promotes healthy activity
- the ball is ideal for the chinchilla’s teeth as the chewing action prevents them from growing faster
- provides both – physical and mental stimulation
- lasts only a couple of hours
- can pose a risk of fatality for the small pet
- some pets may not like the smell and taste of the willow branch
2. Kaytee Giant Chinchilla Run-About Exercise Ball
- Dimensions: 11.5 x 11.5 x 11.5 inches
- Weight: 2.88 ounce
- Color: Clear
- Shipping weight: 1.6 pounds
- Large sized ball for sufficient moving space
- Provides safe space for the chinchillas
- Promotes enhanced physical activity
- Provides interactive fun for your little pet
- Requires supervised use
- Pets get bored after prolonged use
- Some buyers complain of the low-quality plastic
3. Christmas Tree Hamster Chew Toy
- Size: 6 inches tall
- Made in the USA
- Made from safe and non-toxic food coloring
- Color: Green with multi-color bars for steps
- Aesthetically appealing for the cage
- Makes a great décor piece, especially during the Christmas season
- Comes with plenty of material for your pet to chew on.
- Besides chewing, the pets enjoy climbing the tree too.
- Very high for some cages
- The paint job is not so good and may be harmful to the pet
4. Kaytee Carousel Chew Toy Carrot
- Size: 2.8 X 2 x 4.5 inches
- Weight: 1.6 ounces
- Carrot shaped
- Vegetable-based coloring
- Aesthetically appealing
- The varying texture of the chew toy is ideal for the pet’s teeth
- Made from pet-safe coloring
- Compact design
- Reduces boredom
- May need frequent replacement as some pets chew it down quickly
5. Kaytee Chinchilla Lava Ledge
- Size: 6 X 2.6 X 1.2 inches
- Weight: 6.7 ounces
- Color: Assorted
- Material: Cotton
- Made in the USA
- Creates a natural ambiance
- Adds more levels for your pet to play on
- Made from safe, chewable material
- Compact in size
- Easy to install
- Some pets may chew it down quickly, requiring frequent replacement
6. Quality Cage Crafters Chin Spin
- Size: 15 X 8 X 15 inches
- Weight: 8.5 pounds
- Material: Full metal and wood construction
- Color: Blue, pink, purple, teal, silver-vein, Stardust
- Quiet design
- Durable design
- Free from plastic parts
- Gives free space to the pets for stretching and exercising
- Expensive than other wheels
- Large and heavy – not easily portable
7. Taiguang Eco Board Mini Seesaw
- Size: 13cm x 6.5cm x 5cm/5.12″ x 2.56″ x 1.97″
- Color: solid blue, pink, green, white
- Material: Eco board
- Made from eco-friendly material
- Uses non-toxic material
- Provides physical and mental exercise for your pet
- Makes a great chew toy too
- A great addition to any pet nest
- some pets get bored easily
- the pet can get stuck between the board, so supervision is required
8. Kaytee Perfect Chews for Rats
- Size: 6.5 x 2.1 x 1.2 inches
- Weight: 1.12 ounces
- Color: multi-color
- Material: Wooden and loofah-style
- Easily hangs on cages
- Aesthetically appealing
- Made using different shapes and colors
- Provides both – physical and mental stimulation
- A fully chewable toy
- Uses food coloring that may harm your pet
- Some chinchillas are fast chewers and may ask for a new one frequently
9. Sarora – Hamster Mouse Chinchilla Wheel Exercise Toy
- Size: 14cmx6cm/5.51″x2.36”
- Material: plastic
- Color: pink, blue
- Shipping weight: 2.4 ounce
- Boasts an appealing and exquisite design
- Perfect for the independent use of your pet
- Provides great physical and mental stimulation to your pet
- Free from any safety hazard
- Super quiet for night-time play too
- Made from plastic which may not be very durable
- Not many reviews of the product are available at the moment
10. Guoshang Mineral Stone Calcium Chew Toy Teeth Grinder
- Size: 3 X 3 X 3 cm
- Shape: Cube
- Material: limestone
- Provides support for chewing chinchillas
- Made from high-quality limestone
- Enriched with calcium that promotes dental health and hygiene of your pet
- Can be kept or hanged inside the cage at all times
- some pets do not take to the material instantly
- chinchillas are fast chewers, and you may need to replace the block frequently
11. Hamster Toy Chinchilla Banana Nest Hanging Swing Toys
- Size: 20 X 6.5 cm
- Color: yellow, green
- Shape: banana
- Material: Plush
- Cute design
- Servers different purpose
- Keeps your pet warm especially in areas where the winter can get very harsh
- Made from high-quality plush material
- Does not stimulate physical activity
- Some pets may find the material allergy-causing
12. Hamster Toy, Flying Saucer Exercise Wheel Toy
- Size: 7.1 X 5 X 5 inches
- Weight: 5.6 ounces
- Color: blue
- Material: plastic
- Includes 1 wheel, 1 ball
- Provides a safe exercise area for your pet
- most pets enjoy the solid running surface
- boasts a mute design
- made from high-quality material
- some pet owners find the product small for large-size chinchillas
- the plastic may not be durable for long-term
13. Syrian Hamster Wooden Bridge, Sugar Glider Climbing Toys
- Size: 8.7 X 3.9 inches
- Made from 100% natural wood
- Rainbow color
- Made from 100% natural wood
- Aesthetically appealing
- Perfect décor for a Chinchilla Cage
- Provides mental and physical stimulation
- Works as a chew toy as well
- The coloring may not be safe for pets
- Not suitable for young pets who are at risk of falling
Homemade toys for Chinchillas
You can also make chinchilla toys at home using recyclable material lying around the house.
Since the toys are inexpensive, you won’t feel bad when your pet destroys them through their extensive chewing habits.
And you can frequently replace them without burdening your budget.
Make their cage fun
Chinchillas are nocturnal animals.
This means that they are more active during the nights.
Since it is often not possible for their owners to stay up at nights to provide them with fun activities, the best way to keep your chinchilla happy is to make their cage an entertainment zone.
Start by investing in a large cage.
The higher the ceilings are the better.
However, avoid using cages with wire floorings as they can damage their small feet.
Avoid plastic cages as Chinchilla may eat through them as well.
Fill the cage with several toys and wheels.
If you’re looking for a proper cage for your Chinchilla, check out our top picks.
Make sure the toys are specially developed for rodents.
You can also add varying levels to the cage as well as a hiding house to make it feel secure.
Playtime outside the cage
Take your chinchilla out of the cage for some playtime with you.
However, make sure to keep them supervised at all times to avoid them from chewing on furniture, wiring, and clothes.
Instead, offer them plenty of chew toys when they are outside the cage.
This would also keep them distracted from chewing on something that they should not.
Offer a lot of treats while they play outside so they want to come to you.
Raisins are their favorites.
But don’t chase them if they are reluctant to come.
Instead, lure them into coming to you by offering more treats.
If you’re allowing your Chinchilla outside, you must also learn how to handle a Chinchilla. You can check out my detailed article on how to hold a Chinchilla.
Exercise for chinchillas
It is also important to provide chinchillas with ample exercise opportunities so they stay fit and healthy.
They are naturally active so you will find them running and jumping around in their cage at all times.
Enhance their mobility by giving them sufficient space for physical activity along with toys and wheels to keep them active.
Schedule regular playtime for your chinchilla
Chinchillas prefer schedule rather than spontaneous routine.
They don’t like change and knowing the schedule for the day will keep them satisfied.
Set aside a specific time to play with your chinchillas outside the cage.
Evening time works best as chinchillas are the most active during the nighttime.
The furry rodents are playful and will enjoy at least two hours of playtime with you every day.
Chinchilla-proof the play area
Here is the deal:
Your small pets are very fast and can run from here and there with a blink of an eye.
For example, wires, cables, and even clothing of any kind.
Chinchillas can also chew on baseboards so make sure your chosen playroom does not have any of those.
Pet stores stock deterrent sprays that you can use to spray on woods and baseboards.
They have a foul smell that will prevent your chinchilla from coming near.
However, avoid spraying them near electronic items.
And make sure to get one specially formulated for chinchillas and other small pets.
Close all possible hiding places as well.
This includes drawers, small holes, bathroom doors, and predominantly windows.
Taking all the necessary measures will not be enough for your pet as they are interested in everything they see and love snooping around.
Even after doing a comprehensive proofing of the designated play area, you will notice your little pet going in places that they are not supposed to.
The best precaution to take when the chinchilla is out of the cage is to not let them out of your sight.
Keep them supervised fully.
And make sure that you don’t have any other pet in the room.
Especially large pets like cats and dogs who could harm your chinchilla.
Set up an exercise or playpen if proofing is too challenging
You can never be too safe with an active chinchilla in your hands.
If making the play area chinchilla proof seems too daunting or you are still having trouble keeping your chinchilla in its limits, consider investing in a playpen.
Play or exercise pen are easily available at local pet stores or online shops.
They come with collapsible wire walls that can be folded when you are not using the playpen.
They are large sized so your chinchilla can roam around freely.
Just put in some toys and an exercise wheel for its fun.
When the playtime for your chinchilla is over, simply return the pet to its cage and fold the playpen and keep it aside.
The different types of toys available for the chinchillas
Just like little kids, the chinchillas have a strong preference for some types of toy.
Once you get to know your pet, you will notice your pet going crazy for some toys while completely ignoring others.
Here are some of the common toy types for chinchillas.
Why give chinchillas chewing toys?
The teeth of the chinchillas are a problematic issue.
They are open-rooted and grow consistently throughout their lives.
In fact, the front teeth or the incisors of the chinchillas can grow as much as 3 inches per year.
The issue is especially prevalent in pet chinchillas that don’t get sufficient chewing material for their teeth to worn down.
As a result, the teeth grow fast and even if you trim them down, they grow back again!
Elongated teeth can often become infected or cause large facial abscess.
This is painful for the chinchillas and may cause potential fatalities in your pet.
The best way to prevent the issue from developing is to schedule regular (and frequent) veterinarian visits for your chinchillas.
Offering them food that enhances their chewing habits can also limit teeth growth.
And of course, provide them with lots of chewable toys to keep their incisors busy day and night.
Go for variety
Experiment with different types of toys to find out which one your pet fancies the most.
Always provide a variety of toy material as well, from wood to
And don’t forget to rotate the toys on regular basis to prevent monotony.
Are chinchillas the right type of pet for me?
Chinchillas are adorable creatures and make great pets.
However, they are handful.
Their active and playful personality can be hard to handle for some owners.
But if handled properly with lots of attention and care – even the most aggressive chinchillas can tame and learn to be affectionate towards their owners.
Do chinchillas need toys? Yes, of course!
Chinchillas are active animals and enjoy playing with various types of toys.
They are especially fond of chew toys made from different materials to keep their ‘biting buds’ satisfied.
What do chinchillas like to sleep in? In their natural habitat, a chinchilla is accustomed to sleeping in burrows where they can safely stay and get some stress-free sleep.
If you own a chinchilla, mimic the same style of sleeping condition for your pet by providing it with enclosed areas inside the cage.
This could be anything from a hammock to a small tunnel and even a small cardboard box.
What kind of cage should you use for your chinchilla pet? As we mentioned above, the bigger the cage is – the better.
Experts recommend getting at least a cage with a floor size of 24 by 24 inches with high ceilings.
If possible, you can also get a cage that is equipped with ladders and levels for the chin to freely partake in athletic activities.