Availability of numerous bedding products in the market often makes it challenging to select the best option for little pets especially if you own a hamster!
Being hamster owners, we all want to know, “what can I use for hamster bedding?”
But first, we have to carefully consider the offerings of a particular product to determine its suitability for them.
Fortunately for you, we have performed extensive research to provide all the information you need when making your buying decision.
13 best-rated products are reviewed, and we also listed down their pros and cons for your convenience.
Take a peek at the comparison table of our top 7 bedding options available in the market.
The top 7 Best Hamster Beddings
|Item||Ease of cleaning||Non-toxic material|
|Kaytee Clean White Bedding||4.5||Yes|
|Vitakraft Strength Substrate||4.6||Yes|
|Small Pet Bedding||4.4||Yes|
|Fresh News Paper||3.8||Yes|
|Critter Care Ultra Bedding||4||Yes|
|Living world aspen shavings||3.9||Yes|
- Manufacturer: Carefresh
- Weight: 8.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 19 x 15.8 x 5 inches
- Material: Raw natural fiber
- Provides all the necessary features pet parents care about.
- Raw natural fiber used to make this product.
- Provides 10-day odor control.
- 2 times more absorbent than shavings.
- Easy to clean due to the low amount of dust.
- Very soft and provides pillowy softness to your little hamster friend.
- Provides your pet a natural home that is better suited for them and you.
- Little hamsters love the softness and often use it to cover their food.
- Plain cardboard type paper, and no baking soda.
- Inconsistent quality of product from different sellers.
- Many defective products smelled rotten like vinegar and have to discard them.
- Change in textures has caused the bedding to become rougher instead of soft.
- Some packs contain little bits of wood chips instead of all pure paper.
- Claims of odor control less relevant if the color of the product is not grey.
- Dark brown won’t absorb most of the liquid and often felt useless.
2. Kaytee Clean White
- Manufacturer: Kaytee
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Dimensions: 0.02 x 0.02 x 0.02 inches
- Material: Long recycled fiber strands
- All materials used in the making are proudly manufactured in the USA.
- Comes in a variety of colors to make your little friend’s habitat fun and exciting.
- Available in several different pet scents which are safe and eliminate unwanted odor.
- It’s 99% dust-free, which prevents any respiratory issues.
- Provides you the ease of cleaning.
- 2 times more absorbent than traditional wood shavings.
- Encourages burrowing due to its soft and fluffy texture.
- The recycled fiber used in making this product.
- Keep your little friend’s habitat healthy and clean.
- Provides guaranteed odor control.
- It’s completely safe for your little hammy.
- Ability to absorb 6 times more liquid than its weight.
- Have to change it more frequently in around 2-3 days, which is much less than many of its counterparts.
- Inconsistency in the quality of the product from different sellers.
- Many products turned out to be scratchy, coarse, and full of grossness, instead of being soft and fluffy.
- Many customers complain about it being infested with parasitic lice during the summer time.
- Change in the formulation of bedding has made the quality of the product less acceptable.
3. Vitakraft Strength
- Manufacturer: Vitakraft
- Weight: 13.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 14.5 x 5 x 23 inches
- Material: Recycled Paper
- Safe and healthy for your little pets.
- Environment-friendly due to the use of recycled paper.
- Provides up to 14 days of odor control.
- Perfectly soft for your little friends as their beddings as well as litter.
- Absorbs up to 3 times its weight in moisture.
- Proudly made in the USA.
- Ease of cleaning and gives you more time to bond with your little friend.
- It’s 99.5% dust free, less dust means less mess and convenience in cleaning.
- Can be composed off after use.
- Inconsistent quality of material in different packages.
- Used to last around 14 days, but now it’s barely good for a week at most.
- Change in the scent recently which is not up to the previous standard.
- Many products contain no scent at all.
4. Small Pet
- Manufacturer: Small Pet Select
- Weight: 15.6 pounds
- Dimensions: 25 x 16.5 x 8.5 inches
- Material: Natural paper
- All the materials used are made entirely in the USA.
- Controls odor and keep the cage of your little friend and the surrounding healthy and odor free.
- Made from unbleached natural paper and is safe for your small pets.
- Soft textures give the softness that your little friend desires.
- Ease of cleaning due to being 99.9% dust free.
- Provides three times the volume than its packaged size.
- High-quality product and usually lasts very long.
- The huge size of the package allows full cage cleaning around 4-5 times.
- Inconsistent product quality among different packages.
- Defective products are unusable and look like dust.
- Doesn’t control the odor effectively, and stinks quite badly.
- Doesn’t keep the cage long as compared to other brands.
- Loose packaging of some products often makes us use more than the required amount.
- False advertisement of the size, and only expands up to 56 liters.
5. Fresh News Paper
- Manufacturer: Fresh News
- Weight: 16.2 pounds
- Dimensions: 6.5 x 14.5 x 18.5 inches
- Material: Recycled paper
- Soft textures provide your little friends all the comfort they need.
- Keeps the odor under control and the environment healthy.
- Made from recycled paper and can be decomposed after use.
- Quickly absorbs the liquid and keep the habitat of your little friend healthy and clean.
- One bag provides you the bedding solution for up to 3 months.
- Easy to scoop off the top and replace it with a little fresh one to keep it odor free for long.
- It’s quite dusty even more than the usual natural paper beddings.
- Have to take out the little pets from the cage to let the dust settled first.
- Work well as litter than as bedding.
- Too lightweight and incredibly messy spills around when the pets start running.
- Have to do the cleaning very frequently.
6. Critter Care Ultra
- Manufacturer: Healthy Pet
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Dimensions: 3.8 x 7.5 x 13 inches
- Material: Recycled paper fibers
- Recycled paper fibers used in making this product.
- Safe and healthy for your little friends.
- Highly absorbent and soaks liquid up to 3 times its packaged weight.
- Safe for your family and the environment as well.
- Provides you a long-lasting odor control.
- Provides your convenience in cleaning and replacing.
- Our little friends love to sleep on it and even used it for nesting.
- Doesn’t stick to the hairs of our little pets.
- Very hard and clumpy and pets used to soft materials often not like it.
- Very gritty especially for the little hamsters.
- The misleading product description on the sites and packaging.
- Doesn’t expand up to the stated size.
7. Living world aspen shavings
- Manufacturer: Living World
- Weight: 2.5 pounds
- Dimensions: 4 x 8.5 x 17 inches
- Material: 100% natural aspen wood
- Ideal bedding material for your little pet friends, especially for hamsters.
- 100% natural aspen wood used in making this product.
- Didn’t use any aromatic oils and is made specifically to be scent-free.
- Highly absorbent and keep the environment odor free.
- Can soak liquid up to 4 times than its weight.
- Less messy and very easy to clean it out.
- Contains no side effects for your little friends.
- Safe and healthy for your small pets.
- Airtight packaging keeps the product fresh and healthy.
- Very dusty as compared with other brands.
- Dust poses a threat of respiratory issues to your little pets.
- Less absorbent in comparison with other products available in the market.
- Lacks the familiar sawdust smell.
- Causing many pets to sneeze due to the amount of dust.
8. So Phresh Natural Softwood Bedding
- Manufacturer: So Phresh
- Weight: 12.2 pounds
- Dimensions: N/A
- Material: Natural blend of pine, spruce & fir shavings
- Biodegradable product and can be recycled.
- Made from an all-natural blend of pine, spruce & fir shavings.
- Naturally absorbent and quickly absorbs all the moisture inside the cage.
- Rapid absorption helps in controlling the odor around the cage.
- No aromatic oils used and are scent-free for easier care and healthier pets.
- Protects the delicate respiratory systems of your little beloved friends.
- Very soft and covers your little pets well.
- Hamsters love it and due to the large package size, you don’t have to worry about buying new bedding for a few months.
- Have to change it more frequently than other options available in the market.
- Was great at the previous price, but they suddenly double the price and at the current price, it doesn’t compete with the available brands.
9. Sun Seed Company
- Manufacturer: Sun Seed
- Weight: 15 pounds
- Dimensions: 23 x 14.5 x 5 inches
- Material: phenol free recycled newspaper & magazines, baking soda & cotton.
- Phenol-free and environment-friendly due to the use of recycled newspapers and magazines.
- Combination of baking soda helps in achieving a superior odor control.
- Quickly absorbs the liquids and provides an odor-free cleaner and healthier environment.
- Very comfortable for your little friends and they just love it.
- Highest absorption and odor control among the available brands.
- Easy to clean and creates less mess.
- It does leave smell contrary to all the odor control claims.
- No matter how much you used, it requires replacing in around 5 days.
10. Fibrecycle USA Inc. Back-2-Nature
- Manufacturer: Fibrecycle USA Inc.
- Weight: 15.1 pounds
- Dimensions: 5.9 x 9.1 x 15.8 inches
- Material: Natural recycled paper
- Made with recycled paper which is biodegradable.
- Get pet supplies are the seller which are renowned for the best products for pets.
- No chemicals or additives used in making this product, which makes it safe and side effect free for your little pet.
- Carrying handles and lightweight packaging makes it easier to carry around.
- Natural formula for eliminating the odors and keeps the surrounding odor free.
- Quick and high absorption makes the cage and environment clean and healthy.
- Less messy and will not mark floors because it’s virtually dust free.
- Provide you convenience in pouring out and cleaning it up.
- These beddings are ideal for small animal habitat.
- Limited amount of reviews available (only 2).
- Ratings are 5 stars but fewer people purchase it based on the number of reviews.
11. Carefresh Complete Confetti Pet Bedding
- Manufacturer: Carefresh
- Weight: 4.1 pounds
- Dimensions: 13 x 7 x 4 inches
- Material: Paper
- Provides a complete bedding package for the small pet parents.
- Extremely soft and comfortable bedding for your little hamster friend.
- Provides up to 10 days odor control, and if you have a litter trained pet the number can expand up to 14 days.
- Quick absorption, and can soak up to 2 times more moisture than its size.
- Less messy and low dust provides you convenience in cleaning the cages.
- Safe for your little pets and contains no chemicals or additives.
- Protects the respiratory systems of your little friends.
- The misleading description of the product package 50 L instead of the actual 25 L.
- Inconsistency in the quality and color of products in different packages.
- Some products turn out to be hard like rocks instead of the soft textures.
12. Kaytee Extreme Odor Control Bedding
- Manufacturer: Kaytee
- Weight: 4.4 pounds
- Dimensions: 10 x 16 x 5 inches
- Material: Wood
- Sets new standard when it comes to the absorption rate of up to 6 times its weight.
- Encourages nesting and burrowing among your little friends.
- Extremely soft and fluffy textures provide comfort to your little pets.
- Rapid absorption provides you odor control for up to 14 days.
- Its 99 percent dust free which gives you convenience in cleaning.
- Extremely safe and healthy and doesn’t cause any respiratory issues for your little pets.
- Some packages contained very strong scents, which might harm the sensitive noses of your little pets.
- Product quality is inconsistent among different batches.
- Doesn’t control the odor as advertised, instead of many products made the odor unbearable.
- Cages smell like barns within two days.
- Doesn’t soak up the moisture as advertised.
- Beddings seem to fly all around and create a huge mess for cleaning.
13. Small Pet Select Aspen Bedding
- Manufacturer: Small Pet Select
- Weight: 24 pounds
- Dimensions: 16.5 x 8.5 x 25 inch (113 L)
- Material: Wood
- Recyclable and environment friendly product.
- Quickly absorbs the liquids and easy to clean and pick up due to only a few pieces.
- Made from kiln dried wood shaved from logs.
- Safe for your little friends as it contains no chemicals or additives to harm them.
- The large size of the package helps you store in bulk and be worry free for a few months.
- Much better quality than traditional pet store beddings.
- Lasts very long and much longer than paper beddings.
- Best value deal available in the market in terms of size and price.
- A bit dusty and contains little wood chunks, which we have to take out by our self.
- Odor control is average when compared with other brands.
Buying Guide: Hamster Bedding
The most crucial thing you must ensure is the selection of the right material for your hamster bedding.
Try to avoid wood shaving beddings for you little hamsters, as they might be dangerous for them.
Take a look at the two best materials for your hamster bedding.
What happens if my hamster eats the pet bedding?
There is no danger or harmful effects, as long as the product is made from natural materials which are non-toxic or sharp pieces.
Pinewood shavings should be avoided for use as hamster bedding.
As they might cause internal bleeding to your little friend if they ingest any sharp pieces.
The safest option is to consider the paper bedding as they are usually soft in textures and doesn’t cause any harm even after ingestion.
Aspen wood shavings without any sharp pieces is also a better option than a traditional pine wood shavings.
How often do I have to change the bedding?
There is no defined rule or code when it comes to changing the bedding for your hamster.
Do it immediately if you notice it becoming dirty or wet, or when you smell the odor of urine coming out.
Other than the case of extremely messy hamsters, you should be safe for changing the coverage for up to two weeks max.
They usually stash some food inside the bedding, be sure to keep it where you found during cleaning if its dirt free. The hamster might get angry if you replace it because your hamster considers it to be vital.
Can hamsters use toilet paper as bedding?
Toilet papers, napkins, paper towels, and unscented facial tissues are the softest papers that can be used as hamster bedding.
They effectively absorb the urine of your little hamster.
You can also use unused computer papers and paper bags as alternatives.
Another option is the brown paper which is usually used in shipment packaging and contains no toxic ink elements.
- How often should I change my hamster’s bedding?
- How To Choose Hamster Bedding
- Why do hamsters need bedding?