Soft, fluffy and extremely cute; hamsters make great pets.
They are nocturnal animals who love sleeping in the day and playing when the night comes.
These joyous, playful, and friendly creatures can easily lighten up the darkest of days.
But if left alone with no toys to keep themselves busy, hamsters can feel depressed and stressed out. If your hamster has been gloomy, you might want to check out my article on “Do hamsters get lonely?”
So, what will make your pet hamster happy? A soft and rubbery toy that they could bite into.
Finding the right toy for your little fluffy friend can be hard and so here is a list of the best toys that can easily be purchased online or in local stores that will cheer up your little friend.
13 Best Toys for Hamsters
|Kaytee Run- About Ball 7” Rainbow||Plastic||Multi-colored|
|Pawliss Teeth Grinding||Natural lava Rock||Ash grey/White|
|Kaytee Critter Trail Fun-nels||Soft Plastic||Multi-colored|
|Wooden Hamster Bridge and Swing by Hamiledyi||Natural Beech Wood||Brown|
|Kaytee Perfect Chews for Hamster||Pine Wood||Multi-colored|
|Niteangel Natural Hamster Tunnel Tube||Chinese Fir||Brown|
|Kaytee Puzzle playground||Durable Plastic||Brightly Colored|
1. Kaytee Run-About Ball 7” Rainbow
- Manufacturer: Kaytee
- Material: Plastic
- Hazards: Overheating and dehydration
- Made from soft plastic so the hamster does not hurt itself.
- The translucent material allows you to keep an eye on the little furry buddy while it is playing inside.
- Spacious enough to comfortably fit in an average sized hamster.
- The Run-About ball comes with Hamtrac raceway, providing your pet hamster with a limited and controlled exercise environment.
- Light-weight, so it can easily be carried around.
- Provides a personal exercise and play space for your pet with ensured safety.
- Small design makes it difficult to clean.
- If placed in direct sunlight, the hamster may feel exhausted and dehydrated from all the play and exercise.
- The color may fade away in a few weeks.
- Sometimes the plastic locks may not fit in properly, which can open the cage while your pet is inside. This makes it a little dangerous to play with.
- If confined inside for longer, some hamsters may get anxious or stressed out.
2. Pawliss Teeth Grinding Lava Block
- Manufacturer: Pawliss
- Material: Natural Lava Rock
- Hazards: hewing may lead to pieces crumbling off and being swallowed by the hamsters, which may lead to choking or allergic reactions
- Light in weight.
- Made out of natural material, hence reducing the risks of chemical hazards.
- Can easily be tossed, pushed and even carried around.
- Keeps teeth in a healthy shape while the hamsters happily bite into it.
- Also, files the nails without you having to struggle with your hamster’s grooming.
- The blocks do not crumble making it a safe and secure toy to play with.
- The blocks may not last longer and expire before anticipated.
- Chewing may lead to the block tearing apart where pieces can be swallowed by hamsters, resulting in choking.
- Most hamsters like chewing on hard surfaces and so, this soft lava block may not be a popular choice amongst these pets.
Kaytee Critter Trail Fun-nels
- Manufacturer: Kaytee
- Material: Colorful soft Plastic
- Hazards: Larger pets can stuck inside the pipes and hurt themselves
- Colorful and attractive.
- The soft plastic ensures the hamster stays safe while enjoying itself.
- A complete habitat to satisfy the hamster’s basic tunneling needs.
- Keeps the fluffy buddy active and healthy.
- Easy to connect and build.
- The play space can be expanded while the hamster grows for enhanced experience and fun.
- Stain-resistant plastic promising durability.
- A bigger than average size hamster like Syrian breeds may find themselves stuck inside.
- Not ideal for pets of larger size.
- If exposed to direct sunlight, the plastic can deteriorate, leading to the hamster overheating and falling ill.
- Difficult to clean.
Wooden Hamster Bridge and Swing by Hamiledyi
- Manufacturer: Hamiledyi
- Material: Natural Beech Wood
- Hazards: Hamsters may bite off pieces and choke on them
- Made out of natural material, reducing risks and hazards.
- Its flexible design allows it to conveniently fit inside cages of any size or type.
- Great material for gnawing without hurting their teeth.
- Big enough to accommodate pets especially hamsters of larger sizes.
- Affordable and light on the pocket.
- The material may not last as long as expected.
- The swing may be big for smaller pets.
- While biting into it, there are chances of wood pieces coming off and choking the hamster.
- If exposed to water or moisture, the wood can rot and become moldy, making it unhealthy for the hamster to play with.
Kaytee Perfect Chews for Hamster
- Manufacturer: Kaytee
- Material: Pine Wood
- Hazards: The paint or polish on the toy can be ingested leading to serious health problems
- Inexpensive and affordable.
- Crafted with natural pine wood for safe play.
- Colorful and attractive.
- No sharp edges of pointy ends that can hurt the hamster.
- Comes with a metal hook, making it easier to hang inside the cage.
- Can be conveniently disposed and discarded.
- Contains 10 essential chew elements contributing to the health and entertainment of the hamsters equally.
- The paint/polish on the toy can cause health problems if ingested by the hamster.
- The colors may fade away quickly.
Niteangel Natural Hamster Tunnel Tube
- Manufacturer: Niteangel
- Material: Chinese Fir
- Hazards: Chunks of wood may snap off while nibbling and choke the pet
- Big enough to fit in hamsters and pet of bigger sizes.
- Multiple holes for exploration and keeping hamsters busy for hours before they get bored of it.
- The natural wood makes it safe to play with.
- Great toy for chewing, gnawing and biting.
- Spacious enough for hamsters to relax and take a nap as well.
- Smooth surface and no pointy edges.
- The holes may not be polished and covered with splinters that can hurt the hamsters.
- This wooden tunnel may not be able to fit a bigger sized Syrian hamster or pets that weigh more.
Kaytee Puzzle playground
- Manufacturer: Kaytee
- Material: Durable Plastic
- Hazards: Bigger animals may get stuck inside and suffocate
- Spacious and big enough to fit hamsters of average size.
- Bright, colorful, flashy and attractive.
- Made from high-quality plastic for safe play and promised durability.
- Easy to carry and connect.
- Can be designed into multiple patterns that ensure the hamster does not get bored.
- Easy to clean.
- May not be able to fit in hamsters that are bigger in size.
- Harder to put together than said.
- If not clipped right, the puzzle playground may fall apart.
- Even if one piece goes missing, the puzzle becomes a total waste of money.
Natural Wood Unicycle Dumb Bell
- Manufacturer: Wivily
- Material: Natural Wood
- Hazards: Some type of woods contain natural oils that can make hamsters sick
- Made out of natural wood, making the toy safe to play with.
- The chewable material keeps the hamster’s teeth in shape and healthy.
- Light in weight and small in size for an easy play.
- No polish or paint on the toy to avoid any chemical hazards.
- Keeps the hamster active and entertained.
- The size may be a little smaller than expected.
- The hamster may bite into the wood and swallow a piece in case the material starts to come off.
- A few wood types contain natural oils which are unhealthy for the hamsters.
Hamster Spinner Exercise Wheel
- Manufacturer: Yijiujiu
- Material: Premium Grade PP material
- Hazards: Hamster’s legs may get pinched in the air holes or excessive running may lead to dehydration
- Designed out of high quality and durable material.
- The material used is non-slippery, keeping the hamsters safe.
- Stronger and thicker edges for safe play.
- Can easily be placed inside cages of any size.
- Hamsters that are larger in size like Syrian hamsters can too easily fit inside it.
- Quiet, sturdy and fun.
- Easy to detach and assemble.
- Available in bright and attractive colors.
- If the hamsters try biting into it, they may hurt themselves.
- May not fit into cages smaller in size.
- Some may find assembling it a bit difficult than expected.
- Rarely, the hamster’s legs may get pinched or caught in the air holes and injuring them.
- Difficult to clean.
Bwogue Pet Small Animal Hideout
- Manufacturer: Bwogue
- Material: Pine wood
- Hazards: Sharp edges and un-polished surfaces can injure the hamsters
- Made out of natural, non-toxic pine wood for safe play.
- Brightly painted to attract hamsters.
- Comfortable and spacious.
- Dual layered accompanied with multiple openings for enhanced fun and joy.
- One of the best hamster hides for satisfying nesting and chewing instincts.
- Hamsters can easily bite into it without hurting their teeth and gums.
- Feeding trough built outside so you don’t have to spend hours cleaning the hide out from the inside.
- Keeps the hamsters busy, healthy and active.
- Bigger holes for proper ventilation of fresh air.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble.
- Foldable, takes up less space and is portable.
- The paint/polish may cause allergic reactions if swallowed along the wood.
- May not be able to accommodate hamsters or pets of bigger sizes.
- The material may start wearing and tearing earlier than expected.
- Sharp, unpolished and pointy edges can injure the animal.
Activity Assault Course
- Manufacturer: Rosewood Pet
- Material: Soft wood
- Hazards: Pieces of wood may chip off during biting, swallowed and choke the hamsters
- Constructed out of soft wood, making it a safe toy to play with.
- Non-toxic glues have been used in its construction.
- Easy to assemble and fix.
- Keeps the hamsters active and busy.
- Foldable and space-saving.
- Sturdy and large enough to accommodate animals of bigger size.
- The holes are drilled far apart which makes assembly a bit difficult.
- The pegs used to hold the structure together are of low quality and may break while assembling the product.
- Material used in making the product may spoil quicker than expected.
Tropical Fiddle Sticks Flexible Hide out
- Manufacturer: Kaytee
- Material: Bendable Wood
- Hazards: The wood can chip off during biting and swallowed by the hamster, leading to choking
- Flashing colors to attract the hamster.
- Bendable and light in weight.
- Made out of softwood for comfortable chewing.
- Can be bend in a variety of shapes.
- Sturdy and durable.
- Great play toy for hamsters of every size.
- Large in size for easy accommodation of bigger pets.
- The wood may chip off during biting, swallowed by the hamster and cause serious problems.
- The paint/polish may result in allergic reactions.
- It may be smaller in size than shown in the pictures.
- It can be bend into a few patterns only, irrespective of what one may have thought of.
Nut knot Nibbler for Small Animals
- Manufacturer: Kaytee
- Material: Natural wood and contains almond nut
- Hazard: The splinter if chip offs, can hurt the pet hamster
- Natural wood containing almond nut for protected playing.
- Light in weight and standard sized.
- Painted with glistening colors for attraction.
- Does not hurt the hamster’s teeth when nibbled on.
- The splinters may chip off and cause problems if swallowed.
- The paint may come off during gnawing and cause allergic reactions.
Why is it Necessary to buy toys for your hamster?
Most pet owners do not pay heed towards buying toys for their animal buddies, because why would a hamster need a toy for?
Imagine being looked up inside 24×7 and having nothing to do.
Jumping from one sofa to another one, nibbling on to the cushions for fun can become extremely boring after one point.
This is why pet owners with little furry friends at home should buy toys for their buddies that will keep them entertained.
Hamsters are super friendly animals filled with energy levels that touch the sky.
So, why complain of your pillows and cushions being chewed on when hamsters have nothing else to do?
Unlike other animals, hamsters are too tiny to be taken on walks or outdoors.
So all they have is an exercise wheel to play with all day which can honestly become very BORING!
And because hamsters do not have many friends in their list, toys can surely keep them busy, entertained and active.
Plus, toys for these little furry buddies are pretty affordable and easily available.
What more excuse do you have now?!
What kind of toys do hamsters like to play with?
Hamsters are simple animals that make great pets.
Other than hiding, chewing and swinging, these innocent creatures do not have any fancy activities to conduct.
So, most hamster toys are designed in a way that satisfies their chewing and habitual instinct and yes, are completely safe and convenient to play with.
Their toys are small in size and light in weight, plus made of durable materials yet, easy on the pocket so you do not have to worry about spending hundreds of dollars on keeping them entertained.
Here are various types of toys that are specifically designed keeping in mind the size and habits of hamsters, making these a great time killer for them:
Every hamster owner surely has an exercise ball fitted inside their pet’s cage.
These balls are circular in shape with diameters that vary according to sizes of the hamsters.
For Syrian hamster, you need an exercise ball that has a diameter up to 5 inches while for smaller ones, lesser diameter works perfectly well.
Exercise balls are used by hamsters for quick and short runs.
Not only keeping them busy but also healthy and active.
Chew Toys for hamsters
Gnawing, biting and chewing is an instinct fixed inside hamsters naturally.
Because their teeth grow throughout their lives, they have an urge to bite into things.
Chew toys made out of soft material and painted all colorful and bright are designed especially for hamsters to satisfy their natural instinct or need for chewing.
From wooden blocks to balls, these toys are available in various shapes, sizes and colors.
Most are priced pretty low and once the hamsters are done nibbling on it, you can easily discard it and buy new ones.
And yes, chew toys are great for keeping the hamster’s teeth filed and clean, saving you a few bucks on their grooming.
Wooden Hamster Hideouts
Wooden hideouts are fun to play with.
These can easily fit inside the hamster’s cage and keep them engaged for hours.
Hide houses have big holed drilled in them with easy inclines so that little furry pets can conveniently move in out and jump up and down without hurting themselves.
Even some houses are made out of natural wood so if the hamsters feel an urge to gnaw on, they can do so without affecting their health.
Critter trails and tunnels
Hamsters have a natural instinct for burrowing and tunneling.
Critter tails and tunnels for these rodents are made out of soft plastic and can expand with the size of the hamster.
The interconnected paths help them explore the world around, making them happy and entertained.
The plastic material used in the manufacturing of the toy promises increased durability.
These can fit inside cages of any size and even accommodate hamsters of bigger size without any hassle.
And yes, assembling and dissembling is pretty easy, so once you’re pet is done playing with it, fold the trails and pack them to be re-used again.
Buying Guide: How to choose the right hamster toys
Even with limited options available all around, buying the right toy for you tiny friend can be one difficult task.
From size to colors, from material to cost, one has to consider every aspect of it and then make an intelligent investment.
Here are a few things that should be kept in mind when making a purchase for hamster toy:
This one key element that every pet owner especially those having hamsters should never forget.
Hamsters love gnawing, nibbling and chewing things that are thrown their way.
This is why, whatever toy you bring for them, these furballs are going to bite into them.
To ensure your pet does not chip it off while biting, choke on it or go down with allergic reactions, always check for the material used in making of that very product.
Natural wood and soft plastic are some common materials used in manufacturing hamster toys, making them absolutely safe for playing.
Also, buy toys that free from any toxic glue and are not covered in paints/polishes just to be extra careful with your pet’s health.
Size of the toy
If you plan on buying a hideout, an assault course or a swing for your hamster, then do consider the size of the product.
Most products like these are designed to accommodate hamsters of smaller size and weight.
Bigger ones may not be able to find inside and it’ll be nothing more than a waste of money for you.
So, if you own hamsters like Syrian that weigh more, do consider the dimensions and size of the product you’re purchasing for it.
Plus, the toys should be light in weight that could be pushed around easily, keeping the hamsters on their toys.
A hamster that stays active and fit is the one that stays happy and makes you happy!
Bright colors are definitely attractive.
Yellows, greens, reds, and oranges are shades that your pet will find pleasant and enticing.
My pet hamster never liked the wooden, brown shaded swing I bought for him just because it looked “boring”.
After a lot of research, I finally got hold of a colorful chew toy which, now, my hamster does not give away for a minute.
If you want your pet to take interest in the “new” thing, remember, it is all about COLORS!
Soft or hard
Toys for our little furry buddies should be really soft.
Or else that dentist’s bill at the end of the month is surely going to give you a heart attack.
Hamster’s teeth grow throughout their life and so, chewing and biting becomes mandatory.
Toys that have velvety skin, are smooth and spongy are much easier to gnaw on.
This way, not only to hamsters satisfy their “chewing instinct” but their teeth remain healthy and in shape.
Products made out of hard material can cause accidents, hurt your pet so with them in the house, you need to keep attentive all the time.
Which is why, ALWAYS choose activity planes that are soft and easy to nibble on, because no matter how hard you try, hamsters will push their jaws inside!
Although, most hamster toys aren’t expensive.
But even than one need to check their pocket and spend accordingly.
Hamsters have a habit of ruining things way too soon by munching on it.
This is why, no matter what you buy for them, it’ll worn and tear in a matter of days, with the need of replacing it once again.
This is why, for hamster owners, it is feasible to buy glistening, soft toys that are totally inexpensive.
Things hamsters like to do
They may be small in size but are continuously functioning and going.
Hamster’s unparalleled energy makes them a great pet, albeit a difficult one to handle.
These little creatures that appear to soft and cute, can move from one place to another in a matter of minutes and hide in places unknown.
They can get bored easily which is why you need to buy a variety of toys to keep them entertained.
Most hamsters, both dwarf and Syrian, are attracted towards colorful things and like to gnaw on.
Chewable toys that are polished with bright shades are definitely their favorite thing to play with.
And obviously, anything that they can bite into and keeps their teeth filed is a toy your hamster won’t give away.
From flexible tunnels to chewing toys, from exercise wheels to balls, there may not be a long list to choose from, but these toys are good enough to keep your hamster busy.
Hamsters are super cute and entertaining.
Filled with energy, always on their toes, these tiny creatures can make anyone forget their worries.
Even thought, these try hard to keep you happy; they themselves can feel lonely if not given a toy to play with.
Hamster toys are highly affordable and will cost you only a few pennies.
Some chew toys to nibble on, a hide house and maybe a colorful critter trail is more than enough to keep your pet hamster content, happy and satisfied!
If you want your hamster to remain active and physical healthy, fill its cage with puzzle toys which keeps them on the go because for these tiny creatures, running around is definitely important!
Are wooden toys safe for hamsters to play with?
Yes, if made out of natural wood like pine, Chinese fir, and beech wood, toys are completely safe to play with.
Just remember to look out for any sharp or unpolished edges on the toy that can injure the hamsters.
If there are any, get them smoothed out or replaced with any other piece.
- Are critter trails and tunnels too small for my Syrian hamster?
No, not every tunnel or critter trail is smaller in size.
Some are designed especially for Syrian hamsters that are bigger in size and can easily fit.
But remember, because trails and tunnels are made out of plastic, do not expose them to direct sunlight while hamsters are playing inside or it can lead to overheating or dehydration of your pet.
- How often should we change the chew toys that our hamsters gnaw on?
Hamsters tend to bit and gnaw on chew toys very often, making them damp and providing a place for bacteria to grow.
Once you see your hamster has chewed it enough or shows no more interest in the toys, replace it immediately or else your pet may fall ill.
- When should I play with my hamster?
Hamsters are nocturnal animals that sleep in the day time and are extremely active at night.
So, if you plan on spending some quality time with your pet, night time is the ideal for it.