If you own a rat, then you are probably aware of how heartwarming, the lovable creatures are.
Any rat owner would want the perfect habitat to set up for their furry little friend.
They are fully equipped with their food, water, toys, and a sleeping pen.
One of the most important features to add to your rat’s habitat: is a water bottle!
A water bottle dispenses water to your rat, mice, or even a hamster throughout the day whenever they need it.
It is convenient and all you have to do it refill it from time to time.
If you are having trouble to find the ideal rat water bottle for your pet’s habitat, then look no further.
We tried out the top 7 water bottles in the market and broke down the features, so you can decide what fits you best!
The Best Rat Water Bottles
|ChocoNose No-Drip Water Bottle||11.2 Oz||BPA free Material|
|Delight Rat Water Bottle||350 ml||Plastic bottle, stainless steel faucet|
|Kordon Oasis Bell bottle||4 Ounces||crystal styrene|
|Kaytee Chew-proof water bottle||6 ounces||Glass|
|Little Giant Farm Water bottle||32 Oz||Plastic bottle, stainless steel faucet|
|Lixit Wide- Mouth water bottle||8 oz/ 16 oz||Polyethylene|
|Lixit water bottle||5/ 8/ 10 Ounces||Polyethylene|
1. ChocoNose H125 No-drip water bottle
- Brand: ChocoNose
- Material: BPA free material
- Dimensions: 6 x 2.3 x 2.3 inches
- Capacity: 11.2 Oz
- The bottle is an eco-friendly reusable design that is ideal for any small rodent to drink water out of.
- It is lightweight and compact enough that it sufficiently provides water for your rat
- The screw on bracket makes it super easy to install the bottle to your wire cage, and you can nail it in.
- Comes in different colors, you can always pick what suits best.
- It is made of a BPA free material that is completely safe for your rats.
- For specific finer cages, the nozzle might be to thick to fit in. It is recommended you drill a hole for the right size.
- The air bubbles can sometimes cause a block in the nozzle, and you will have to fix it from time to time.
- The plastic can get denatured due to heat when trying to clean it!
2. Delight Rat Water Bottle
- Brand: Delight
- Material: Plastic bottle, Stainless steel tap
- Dimensions: 7.09 x2.28 inches
- Capacity: 350ml
- It is one of the more affordable rat water bottles on the market! Which is always great.
- It does the job well, and you don’t have to refill the bottle constantly due to its large capacity.
- You can easily install it to your cage with the spring and stand!
- The materials will help the dispenser last long!
- User has had a frequent complaint about how the bottle is lightweight, and rats might topple it over when playing in their cage.
- People have trouble adjusting on the rubber ring.
- The size might be a little too small if you have multiple rats.
3. Kordon Oasis Bell bottle
- Brand: Kordon Oasis
- Material: Crystal Styrene (Ridgid Plastic)
- Capacity: 4 ounces
- The value deal really does give you value! Two bottles in such an affordable price.
- The bottles are made of a durable material that makes sure it does not break or get damaged over time.
- The round top makes sure there isn’t any chew-damage overtime
- The hold guard keeps the bottle intact, and you don’t have to worry about any leaks.
- Compact design which is great for small rats!
- Make sure that you properly install and check whether the bottle is dispensing water. The nozzle can get blocked without warning.
- If not in the correct position, the bottle is prone to leaks as well.
4. Kaytee Chew Proof Water Bottle
- Brand: Kaytee
- Capacity: 6 ounces
- Dimensions: 12.5 x3.12 x 3.12 inches
- Material: Glass
- The glass bottle is chew resistant, which always a concern for rat owners. You don’t want the water bottle broken and leaking inside their habitat.
- The glass also allows you to monitor the water level easily and fill it up whenever needed.
- For the quality, the bottle is affordable too!
- The glass bottle gives a luxurious look to your habitat too!
- You might want to get two bottles or a bottle with a capacity of more than 6 ounces if you have multiple pet rats that consume more water!
- The nozzle can get air bubbles, so make sure to tap it and release them before adding water.
5. Little giant farm water bottle
- Brand: Little giant farm and Ag
- Capacity: 32 oz (1 Littre)
- Dimensions: 12 x 5 x 4 inches
- Material: Plastic
- This bottle is perhaps one of the most affordable ones out there on the market.
- The clear plastic helps with easily monitoring your pet’s water consumption.
- The leak-proof design is a key feature we all look for in a good water bottle!
- It also has great capacity! If you are someone with multiple rats and a big habitat then this is a great option
- The plastic might not be as durable as you would like it to be. It is possible that over time it deteriorates or gets chew damage
- The bottle is big! So, if you have a small habitat, then this probably will a tough fit.
6. Lixit wide-mouth water bottle
- Brand: Lixit
- Material: Polyethylene, Stainless steel Faucet
- Dimensions: 7.5 x 3.8 x 3.8 inches
- Capacity: 8 oz/ 16 oz
- The chew proof technology can really come in handy! Nobody likes a destroyed or leaking water bottle.
The wide mouth allows easy cleaning as well
- It is ideal for your pet rats, and they won’t be able to climb the bottle!
- The bottle comes with a spring for easy installation.
- It is translucent, and you can check the water levels!
- It is offered in two different capacities to fit your different needs.
- It is however made of a lightweight material that does mean the bottle Can incur damage over time.
7. Lixit animal care water bottle
- Brand: Lixit
- Material: Polyethylene
- Dimensions: 3.5 x 3.5 x 12 inches
- Capacity: 5/8/10 Ounces
- It comes in various sizes that are suitable for multiple rats and cage sizes
- It is constructed from BPA free, non-toxic and pet-friendly materials that you won’t have to worry about.
- The compact design makes it great for rats
- A wire attachment is included for easy installation
- The material is weather resistant and can withstand wear and tear.
- The rubber seal prevents leakage
- Some users have complained that overloading the bottle can lead to some leakage
- The design is small and compact; you may need something else if you have a bigger habitat
Do I need to buy a water bottle for my rat?
Well now you must wonder, is this extra expense to buy a rat water bottle really necessary?
Well yes! It can help you out a lot.
For starters, it is extremely convenient to have a water bottle feed rather than an open water source.
Rodents like rats are very small and consume water in small quantities.
The bottles train your rat to drink a sufficient quantity from the nozzle, whenever they require.
While an open source of water may work, it can further increase your work in keeping their habitat clean.
Rats are playful creatures that can easily topple over any water you might keep in the tank.
That means the water can splash everywhere and make an unnecessary mess.
Keep a bottle helps with monitoring how much water your rats consume and conveniently refilling it when needed.
Pet rat water bottle buyer’s guide
Now out of the many choices on the market are you having a hard time deciding what might be the ideal fit for your rat’s habitat?
Well, let us break down some factors that you need to look at before purchasing the right one!
How to clean a rat water bottle properly?
It is extremely important to keep your rat water bottle squeaky clean!
The slimy algae growth can take over the insides of the bottle over time. These bacteria can harm the health of your pet, and nobody wants that!
So, if you’re wondering if there are ways to get rid of these bacteria, then yes!
Follow these tips and hacks when trying to clean your rat water bottle.
Firstly, try not to use detergents and soaps. These soaps are harsh and can also leave harmful residue behind.
When you reinstall the water bottle, it is possible that you are exposing your pet to this residue and they can ingest it.
That is a Big NO!
So, what can you do instead?
Most pet owners recommend bleach. Yes! Bleach.
When people hear the term bleach, they automatically think that it is unsafe and hazardous.
But, fun fact:
Another tip that can come in handy is using hot water! You can rinse your water bottle with hot water.
Or boil it for 15 to 20 seconds to kill all the bacterial growth and algae.
Make sure you don’t boil it for too long. Hot water can denature plastic, and it won’t fit back into your habitat.
Try not to use any harsh scrubbers like steel wool that can damage the stainless-steel faucet and ball bearings.
You can also wash the sipping nozzle and make sure that it is free from any blockage or build up.
Allow the water to fully dry and aerate the bottle before you install it back to your habitat.
Make sure, before you install it, rinse it one last time. Check to see if there any chemical or soapy smells coming through.
If all is safe, then fill it back up with water and attach it back to your rights cage.
Make sure you periodically clean your rat’s water bottle since nobody wants these precious creatures to fall ill.
How to make a water bottle feeder at home! (DIY)
You must wonder can I craft my own improvised version of a water dispenser with things at home?
Well Yes! You can.
You can follow these easy steps to create your own DIY water feeder for your pet rat!
How much water should my pet rat drink? An average adult rat is expected to drink nearly 10mm (100g) every day.
Can rats survive without water? While rats consume little water, does not mean they can survive without it. They extract water from the foods they eat and can go long periods of time without directly drinking water.
Can rats drink out of a bowl While rats can drink out of bowls, the stagnant water can get dirty from time to time. It will require cleaning as well.
How much should a rat eat daily? It is recommended that you feed your rat between 12g to 20g of dry feed. So nearly a handful of food is enough for them to last the day.
- 6 Rat Water Bottle Hacks
- Should you get a water bottle or bowl for your rat?
- Why do pet rats drink out of bottles?