Tired of cleaning your cat’s litter box?
Want some help?
You are at the right place!
I have compiled a list of 10 self cleaning litter boxes that will do the job for you.
Top 5 Picks!
|Purina Tidy Cat Litter Box System||4.1||Yes|
|Catit Hooded Cat Litter Pan||3.9||Yes|
|CatGenie Self Flushing Cat Box||3.8||Yes|
|PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning||3.7||Yes|
|Omega Paw Elite Self Cleaning||3.6||Yes|
1. Purina Tidy Cat Litter Box System
- Manufacturer: Purina Tidy Cats
- Weight: 3 lbs
- Dimensions: 5 x 21 x 10.5 in
- Easy to install and use without any complexities.
- Anti-tracking pellets help in minimizing tracking.
- Prevent ammonia odor for up to 7 days, if you have one cat.
- Is 99.9% dust-free, which keeps the environment clean and healthy.
- This product is a complete package as it comes with a bag of litter pads and a bag of pellets.
- Less refilling required, as its litter pellets are highly absorbent and usually lasts around for one month for a single cat.
- Is one of the top picks when it comes to powerful odor control?
- Easy to clean up and maintain.
- Filtering litter pellets effectively separates liquid and solid waste for easy removal.
- Made with a vision to provide the utmost convenience to cat owners.
- Great for households that have multiple fluffballs.
- For the best results, you have to scoop the waste out regularly.
- Complaints about the quality of litter pellets that comes with the product.
2. Catit Hooded Cat Litter Pan
- Manufacturer: Catit
- Weight: 5 pounds
- Dimensions: 4 x 18.3 x 15.3 inches
- Provides privacy to your beloved fluffy friend.
- Carbon filters trap the odor inside and prevent it from spreading in the environment.
- Easily accessible removable door.
- Very easy to install and maintain.
- Very easy to disassemble and makes thorough cleaning easy.
- Comes with a free sample of Magic Blue Litter Box Filter.
- Built-in overlap mechanism effectively prevents leaks.
- Very spacious, even large cats can fit in easily in this litter box.
- Perfect fit for large cats and multi-cat households.
- Built-in anchor helps in smoothing the cleaning process.
- Ease of carrying it around through its carrying handle.
- Slider locks provide you extra security.
- It’s completely dust-free.
- Great value for money.
- Great reviews from customers on Amazon, and most of them recommend it to their peers.
- Complaints regarding the quality of the product and material used.
- Have to purchase replacement filters separately.
- People are not satisfied with the locking system, as it’s a bit problematic.
3. CatGenie Self Flushing Cat Box
- Manufacturer: CatGenie
- Weight: 33.8 pounds
- Dimensions: 24.5 x 19.2 x 21 inches
- It’s completely dust-free.
- The self-cleaning function automatically washes your cat’s excretion and dries itself.
- Sanitization features keep its germ free and keep the odor under control.
- Your fluffy friend’s own personal commode.
- You don’t have to do anything, just have to replace cartridges which is usually once a month if you have a single cat.
- Permanent solution for your cat’s litter problems.
- Keeps the environment green, as it doesn’t use any litter, etc.
- Provides you several custom cat activation choices for self-cleaning, from 1 – 14 straight active hours.
- It makes you home a litter-free environment.
- Comes with a two-year warranty.
- Effortless DIY setup.
- Comes with supplies that easily lasts for 2-3 months for single cat households.
- Economical when you consider both short and long term benefits.
- Complaints regarding the drainage system as it’s too small.
- Odor control is not as efficient when you compare it with other brands.
- Complaints regarding its design which halts its effectiveness.
- Complex setup and not everyone will be able to install it without hiring a plumber.
- Long cleaning cycle that usually takes around 20-30 minutes.
4. PetSafe ScoopFree Self-Cleaning
- Manufacturer: PetSafe
- Weight: 5 pounds
- Dimensions: 5 x 20.5 x 11.5 inches
- Comes with a bag of original scent blue crystal cat litter.
- The disposable tray makes the cleaning process very easy and convenient.
- The adjustable self-cleaning cycle that can be set according to your preferences.
- It cleans itself for weeks without you providing maintenance services.
- Provides your maximum odor control through its crystal litter that absorbs the moisture efficiently.
- Keeps the floor of your house clean with non-tracking crystal litter.
- Completely safe and hygienic for you and your fluffy friend.
- Comes with a privacy hood which can be installed easily if your fluffy friend prefers it.
- Automatically tracks the usage frequency and resets the timer if your cats re-enter it.
- Industry-leading brand in the U.S. for pet-related products since 1991.
- For multiple cats, you have to clean it up more frequently for best results.
- The cleanup frequency is much higher for cats suffering from a diabetic disease.
- Suitable for cats that are at least six months or above.
- The disposable trays can prove to be a bit costly in comparison with other available options.
5. Omega Paw Elite Self Cleaning
- Manufacturer: Omega Paw
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Dimensions: 5 x 21.5 x 20 inches
- It’s covered and provide privacy to your fluffy friend.
- No power source or supply is required to make it work.
- Features chrome accents.
- Has a built-in litter step that catches litter as your kitty exits the box.
- Now comes with a more durable and stronger sifting grill.
- Very easy to setup.
- Its one of the most simple and easy to use brand available in the market.
- Has an effective odor control, and the level will increase with the quality of litter you purchase.
- Very easy to assemble and disassemble for cleaning purposes.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty.
- An affordable and wallet-friendly choice that does the job nicely.
- Litter gets scatter around in vast quantity.
- You need to do the cleaning regularly to remove the scattered litter.
- Not leakproof, and sometimes it causes leakage while rolling it for cleaning purpose.
- Extra space requirement for rolling and cleaning.
- Can’t consider it in the automatic category, as manual handling is required.
6. PetSafe ScoopFree Original Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- Manufacturer: PetSafe
- Weight: 19 pounds
- Dimensions: 4 x 19 x 7 inches
- It automatically cleans the litter box every 20 minutes after your cat exits.
- Less noisy than other products with a very low humming sound for its quiet operations.
- Efficiently dry up your cat’s poop in every 20 minutes, which means no sticking of fecal waste.
- Leading U.S. manufacturer of pet containment, lifestyle and behavior products since 1991.
- No scooping is required, you just have to dump away the disposable trays by removing it from the litter box.
- In case of a single cat, you can stay tension free for up to 7 days without cleaning.
- Creates less mess around, as low-tracking crystals don’t get stuck on your fluffy friend’s feet.
- Crystal cat litters are 99% dust-free.
- You don’t need any special setup, just plug it in the power socket, and it’s ready for use.
- Efficiently controls the odor and provide you and your kitty a cleaner and fresher environment.
- Suitable only for cats that are at least six months old and above.
- As is the case with the ultra version, the cost of the disposable trays can be a real headache for your wallet.
- Frequent cleanup is required in case you have multiple cats or diabetic cats.
7. Pet Zone Smart Scoop Automatic Litter Box
- Manufacturer: Pet Zone
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Dimensions: 5 x 16.9 x 7.6 inches
- Durable and sturdy with a superpower motor for running it smoothly.
- Effectively retains the clean litter by separating it from the waste.
- Over four times less noisy than the top brands in the market.
- Cleans the waste after 15 minutes, whenever your cats use it.
- Very easy to dispose of the collected waste, as you just have to take out and dump the waste bag.
- Always remain clean due to its automatic scooping feature.
- Effectively traps the odor through its carbon filter and keeps the area clean and fresh.
- Works with all the clumping litters.
- Suitable for even the largest cats.
- Comes with six no touch plastic bags, which you can replace for a fraction of the cost with crystal cartridges.
- Easy disassembly provides you convenience in cleaning and maintenance.
- Have to manually adjust the litter as the rake doesn’t level it up automatically.
- Carbon filter gets consumed quickly, and have to buy them quite often.
- For best results, you have to empty the waste bag every day.
8. LitterMaid Automatic Multi-Cat Litter Box Self-Cleaning Scoop with Ramp
- Manufacturer: LitterMaid
- Weight: 7 pounds
- Dimensions: 7 x 9.8 x 28 inches
- Great for multi-cat households.
- Designed to be used for cats that weigh around 15 lb.
- Comes with four receptacles, one rake and scoop cleaner, four carbons filters, and one paw cleaning ramp.
- Cleaning delay of 10 minutes is very effective in preventing the sticking of fecal waste.
- Much improved product features than previous versions.
- Has a load receptacle and charcoal filter.
- Can work automatically for up to 7 days.
- Carbon filter ensures that the odor remains under control.
- Higher walls prevent litter scattering around the area.
- Paw cleaning ramps ensure that litter doesn’t track around the litter box.
- Highly efficient and uses less amount of cat litter than other brands.
- Is very easy to clean and maintain.
- Doesn’t handle soft excretion waste.
- Complaints about it getting jammed a lot of the times.
- Very irritative cleaning operation, as it makes a lot of noise.
- Very small waste receptacle, and require frequent dumping in case of the multi-cat household.
9. Quick Clean Cat Litter Box
- Manufacturer: Little Spinner
- Weight: 10 pounds
- Dimensions: 18 x 14.5 x 20 inches
- Very easy to set up and use.
- You can use any clumping cat litter with it.
- Doesn’t require any power source like batteries or power sockets.
- No more manual scooping for you.
- Proudly made in the U.S.
- Provides a cleaner and healthier environment for you and your fluffy friend to enjoy.
- High quality and durable material used, along with the recycled polypropylene.
- Prevents litter scattering around the area.
- Effectively separates the cat waste into an empty drawer, which makes dumping it much more convenient.
- Provides a comfortable and private place to your beloved friend.
- Effectively controls the odors, dust, and cat litter from spreading around.
- Very easy to clean due to its design.
- Not the ideal option if you have large size cats.
- Very difficult to assemble and does not contain the well for urine.
- Has some design flaws.
- Better alternatives available in the market at a much lower price.
10. Nature’s Miracle Multi-Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box
- Manufacturer: Nature’s Miracle
- Weight: 5 pounds
- Dimensions: 2 x 11 x 19.5 inches
- Suitable to work with all types of cat litter available in the market.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Ideal for multiple cats as it has a large capacity.
- Very easy to set up and operate.
- Automatically cleans the waste after every use.
- Comes with carbon filters that effectively keeps the odor in control.
- Immediately cleans the waste, and is not like other brands that wait for a predetermined amount of time.
- Made with eco-friendly materials.
- The night light provides visibility to your furball at night.
- It is equipped with a smart detection motion sensor.
- Durable and water-resistant materials are used for making this product.
- Comes with odor control receptacles that have antimicrobial properties.
- The privacy hood is not included in the package.
- The price in on the higher side in comparison with other available brands.
- You need to stock up on litter boxes when you are going to travel for a longer period.
Buying Guide for Selecting The Best Self-Cleaning Litter Box
Busy cat owners often face the waste management problem, and they definitely need a helping hand to resolve this issue. As they are usually out doing work-related activities, they don’t always have the time to clean their cat’s litter every day manually. For, resolving this problem, many automatic self-cleaning litter boxes have to enter the market. These gadgets are a great help for the busy cat parents as they automatically clean the litter box, controls the odor, and makes cleaning them an easy task.
Now, comes the selection problem, with the availability of numerous options and their different variants, selecting the right product for your fluffy friend has become more difficult. As you want to give the best option to your beloved friend, we will guide you in selecting the right one for your beloved furball. Some brands have fully automatic self-cleaning litter boxes, while another offer semi-automatic, non-flushing, self-flushing, and so on. Read our guide thoroughly to understand and focus on the characteristics that truly matters when it comes to selecting the best litter box for your kitty.
Why should you opt for an Automatic Litter Box?
To be frank, there is no best product available in the market that perfectly suits all of your and your’s kitty needs. But its definitely better to have one than not to have it at all. It will definitely make your life easy. You must opt for a quality automated litter box if you want more convenience.
Everyone would prefer a machine cleaning out their cat’s poop, rather than them doing it by themselves. These machines are designed to do the waste cleaning work efficiently and save you a lot of time and energy, which you can spend by playing with your fluffy friend and further strengthens your bond.
No one likes to smell litter, and even more so nobody likes their room or home to be full of litter smell. These machines are fully equipped to control the waste odor through carbon filters, etc. that keeps the environment clean, fresh, and healthier for you and your cats.
And, finally, would you like to keep scooping your cat’s waste out manually? And do you want to keep on cleaning the litter on your own? Your answer would be a definite No. As there are many people who don’t even prefer to watch the litter, let alone cleaning it. So, its much better to have a machine that makes your job easy and pleasant.
Important things to Consider while Purchasing a Self-Cleaning Litter Box
Before making a decision regarding the purchase of a self-cleaning litter box. Carefully consider these things while you are evaluating your selected options.
The first thing you need to do is to select the product that fits your budget. As you don’t want to end up spending extra bucks on the same product and even face some financial problems. There are many litter systems available that are very high on the initial investment, but costs you less in monthly maintenance. While there are others that are relatively cheaper to buy but have high maintenance costs like frequent purchases of carbon filters, disposable trays, and so on.
You have to carefully research the product its pros and cons on various review sites. Even retail sites like Amazon and others have very detailed customer reviews that help you out in making your decision. Select the few best products and thoroughly compare and evaluate them before making your final decision.
Compatible with your cat/cats
It is very important to consider the litter system’s compatibility with your cat or cats if you have more than one. Cats are the ones that will be using this system, so it is of utmost importance that it is large enough for your cat. It is recommended to select a litter box that is larger than your cat size, so it is convenient and comfortable for them to use. Also, it’s worth checking out customer reviews on this matter to get all the necessary information.
Frequency of cleaning
How frequently your litter system cleans out the waste is a very important point to consider while making the purchase. As there are many products that come with a built-in sensor that is programmed to clean out the waste after your cat exits. Usually, most products offer a 20 – 30 minute cleaning time after use.
If you don’t have any special considerations regarding the frequency of cleaning, then those products are good for you. But if you want modifiable timers for cleaning out the waste immediately than you have to pay a few extra bucks and get the option that lets you modify the timer.
Self-cleaning litter boxes do require to be cleaned thoroughly from time to time. As the constant usage make them dirty and full of germs and you don’t want these germs to harm your beloved fluffy friend. Luckily for you, there are many models that provide you cleaning convenience though it’s easy to assemble and disassemble feature. Well, the more complex your litter system will be, the harder it will be for you to clean it thoroughly. While the simpler models are the best ones when it comes to cleaning in comparison with the models that have advanced features.
Another important factor to consider is the waste container that is installed in the self-cleaning litter system. There are some models that offer you the convenience of flushing the waste on their own, while others collect and dispose of the waste in a container. That container has to be emptied by you frequently in order to prevent the spreading of waste odor in your home.
It all depends upon your preferences that which option is the best for you. If you are someone who doesn’t want to do the dumping yourself than go for the self-flushing one, or if you prefer to do it yourself, then go for the brand that provides you with a large waste container. So, you don’t have to worry about emptying it every day.
There are a few models of self-cleaning litter system that require a certain type of litter to work properly. Which can be a problem for you if your cat doesn’t like that particular type of litter. Always check it before purchasing the type of litter compatible with a particular product.
Fortunately, for you, that’s not the case with every product as there are numerous products available in the market that are compatible with almost all types of litter. Consider buying one of those brands to create a win-win situation for you and your beloved fluffy friend.
Choosing the Best Location
We humans like to do our waste excretion business in a quiet and private environment. Same is the case with our cats, and it is necessary for you to place their litter system in a place where they won’t get disturbed while doing their business. So, now you know that selecting a suitable location is as important as selecting the right litter system for your cat.
Select an area that is free of clutter and obstacles, and is free of unnecessary disturbances like loud noises, and so on. The litter system should be kept as far as possible from the kitty’s food and water bowls. As cats are well known for their fastidious nature, which means they prefer their things to be tidy and clean.
Things You Should Do
Following are the things you should do while using any automated cat litter system:
Things You Shouldn’t Do
Just like the do’s, they are several don’ts of using an automated cat litter system that you should consider carefully:
Can litter boxes be next to each other?
Yes, you can place them next to each other, but it is recommended to have some space between them if you have multiple cats. And especially don’t place them anywhere near their feeding or water bowls. They prefer their things to be tidy and clean and given a choice would not prefer to use the litter boxes when placed next to their feeding bowls.
Are self-cleaning litter boxes worth it?
That depends upon the type of cat you have, and your personal preferences as many larger cats find difficulties in fitting inside the small litter systems. While others avoid it due to the loud noises, most of the products make and their physical appearance. And, in the end, its all down to your cat’s preferences, if they don’t want to use it, then they are definitely not worth it and vice versa.
Can multiple cats use the same litter box?
ideally each cat should have their own litter box and in some cases one more than the number of cats. So, in case you have three cats, you should have four litter boxes. As usually, they want their own space even if they are siblings. And never use aggression to force your fluffy friend to use a particular litter box if they are not using it.