With our feline friends well renowned for their low thirst drive, it is essential for us to provide them with the necessary amount of moisture in their food.
Wet cat food is excellent for keeping our felines hydrated, and easy to chew to digest, and contains other health benefits.
But the real issue is selecting the best one for your feline friend’s specific needs.
As there are numerous options available in the market, with different features and unique benefits.
Our guide will provide you ample information to make the best-informed decision regarding the selection of best-wet cat food brand for your beloved feline friend.
Top Five Picks
|Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition||9.0 / 10||No|
|Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet Natural Kitten Pate Wet Cat Food||8.8 / 10||No|
|Purina Friskies Canned Wet Cat Food 40 ct. Variety Packs||8.5 / 10||No|
|Sheba Perfect PORTIONS Cuts in Gravy Entrée Wet Cat Food||8.5 / 10||No|
|Wellness Complete Health Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food Pate Recipe Kitten Chicken Pate||8.2 / 10||No|
1. Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition
- Manufacturer: Royal Canin
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Dimensions: 3 x 3.3 x 1.5 inches
- Ingredients: Chicken, pork, wheat gluten, natural flavors, fish oil, etc
- Royal Canin feline health nutrition is entirely grain free.
- Formulated explicitly through extensive research to meet the nutrition requirements of young baby kittens and mothers.
- It is made from the fresh and highest quality meat.
- Has a fluffy mousse texture which is ideal for your little kittens.
- Helps in a smooth transition to solid food from milk for your little fluffy friends.
- Contains all the essential vitamins and minerals to support the immune system of newborn cats.
- Made from highly digestible proteins & prebiotics for a growing kitten digestive system.
- Presence of DHA helps to build a solid & strong foundation for litten kitten’s brain development in the womb of the mother cat.
- Brand name of Royal Canin and its quality products.
- Little kittens love this product, which is a sigh of relief considering their pickiness.
- Highly positive reviews from all the customers on Amazon.
- Price is on the higher side in comparison with other brands on the market.
2. Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet Natural Kitten Pate Wet Cat Food
- Manufacturer: Blue Buffalo
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Dimensions: 2 x 11 x 3 inches
- Ingredients: Chicken, veggies, and fruits
- Provide required energy to your feline friend through its ingredients like barley, oats, and so on.
- Unique and delicious flavors to choose and satisfy the tastebud of your fluffy friend.
- Made from protein-rich ingredients like chicken, meat, and fish.
- Keep your feline healthy and active, as it contains garden fruits and veggies like carrots, parsley, cranberries, and so on.
- Easily digestible, which is ideal for promoting a healthy digestive system development in your furball.
- A balanced and complete daily nutrition for your cute feline friend.
- No artificial color, preservatives, or flavors were used in this product.
- Has a tremendous tasty smell that attracts the little munchkins towards it.
- Inconsistent product quality among different batches.
- Some kittens developed diarrhea after consuming this.
- Many kittens don’t like this product in comparison with other brands.
- Vets recommend other products like Royal Canin, Purina Pro plan.
3. Purina Friskies Canned Wet Cat Food 40 ct. Variety Packs
- Manufacturer: Purina Friskies
- Weight: 15.4 pounds
- Dimensions: 7.4 x 13.7 x 6.8 inches
- Ingredients: Real meat, fish or poultry
- Provides a lot of variety in delicious flavors to satisfy the tastebuds of your fluffy friend.
- All the products are made from premium quality real poultry, meat, or fish.
- Is a 100% complete and balanced nutrition pack for your beloved fluffy friend.
- Thin, tender shreds provide an irresistible texture which your cat’s love and adore.
- Each of the four recipe’s comes with either a sauce or savory gravy.
- Your fluffy friends will lick clean their bowls, and there will be nothing left in it.
- Is relatively affordable in terms of price in comparison with other options available in the marketplace.
- Many product packs were delivered in a damaged state, with juices spilled throughout boxes.
- Due to damages, the food quickly gets rotten and smells terrible.
- Many packs feature only two flavors instead of the four that are advertised.
- These products contain a lot of water and look more like a soup than tender shreds.
4. Sheba Perfect PORTIONS Cuts in Gravy Entrée Wet Cat Food
- Manufacturer: Sheba Wet Food
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Dimensions: 2 x 7.5 x 3.6 inches
- Ingredients: Chicken, Turkey, Vitamins, Minerals, etc
- Huge variety of delicious flavors to choose from.
- Soft texture helps them in eating, and they don’t leave any leftovers.
- Cats just love and adore the delicious taste of Sheba wet cat food.
- High in proteins and essential vitamins and minerals.
- Complete and balanced nutrition that helps in the maintenance and growth of your feline friend.
- Natural and premium quality ingredients used in making these products.
- Free from grains, corn, artificial flavors, wheat, or any artificial preservatives.
- Ideal serving size of the can in comparison with other brands.
- Quality of packaging is unsatisfactory.
- Inconsistent quality, as most canned, when open is dried from the top.
- Concerns from customers about these products being messy and hard to open.
- Price variation for different flavors erks many customers.
- Are a bit high on the price level when you compare them with other products.
5. Wellness Complete Health Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food Pate Recipe Kitten Chicken Pate
- Manufacturer: Wellness Natural Pet Food
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Dimensions: 5 x 8 x 3.2 inches
- Ingredients: Chicken, Cranberries, Carrots, Natural Flavors, etc
- Balanced and complete everyday nutrition for your little kitten.
- These products are healthy and completely grain free.
- Proudly manufactured only in North America.
- Delicious in taste and made with quality ingredients.
- Natural ingredients without the use of any artificial flavors or meat by-products.
- Contains added taurine which helps in a healthy heart and eye development.
- Utterly free of thickeners like carrageenan, and so on.
- Only premium and high-quality ingredients used in making these products.
- Veggies like carrot and fruits like cranberries and blueberries are used.
- Support urinary health by preventing harmful bacteria through the presence of vitamin C.
- Rich in fiber and omega 3 fatty acids, which are essential in promoting a healthy digestive system.
- Advertised as Carrageenan free but it’s listed in the ingredients, which has created serious concern among customers.
- A recent change in the formula has garnered negative results from the customers, as their cats stop eating them.
- Inconsistency in quality among different batches.
- Only one flavor to choose, not every cat like this flavor.
6. “I and love and you” Essentials Grain Free Can Cat Food
- Manufacturer: I and love and you
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Dimensions: 6 x 7.9 x 3.1 inches
- Ingredients: Chicken, Veggies, Fruit, Meat, Fish, etc
- They are entirely non-allergic, for you and your cute little feline friend.
- Comes in a variety of flavors to satisfy the tastebud of your furball.
- Made with real veggies + fruits, protein-rich meat, fish and chicken.
- Contains no fillers or by-products meals.
- Great for healthy skin for your little fluffy friend, as it contains high amounts of fish oil and flaxseeds.
- No artificial preservatives, corn, rice, or soy was used in making these products.
- Free from thickeners like carrageenan, etc.
- Are entirely wheat free and gluten free.
- Manufactured in the USA with a few high-quality ingredients imported from abroad.
- Frequent increases in the price of products have raised concern among many customers.
- Change in the recipe has garnered mixed results as many cats have shown their dislike for the new formula.
- Rabbit flavor contains beef as other ingredients which are not suitable for cats who are allergic to beef.
- False advertisement claims by a few customers due to misleading information on a few sites.
7. Purina Fancy Feast Pate Adult Canned Wet Cat Food
- Manufacturer: Purina Fancy Feast
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Dimensions: 8 x 5.5 x 6.5 inches
- Ingredients: Beef, Chicken, Salmon, Turkey, Seafood, etc
- Has unique flavors with exciting and tasty combinations like beef & chicken, turkey & giblets, and so on.
- Has a grain-free formula.
- These products are balanced, and 100% complete nutritionally.
- Contains all the essential minerals and vitamins to keep your little felines healthy.
- High-quality ingredients are used to make these products.
- Unique textures engage your feline friends to nibble with them.
- A classic variety of these products are recommended by most vets.
- The cats don’t just eat them; they thoroughly licked them of their bowls.
- Great for cats with diabetes, as it helps in keeping the sugar levels down.
- Ideal food for your feline if you are thinking about reducing their weight.
- Change in the recipe by the company has resulted in many cats stop eating their once favorite meal.
- Misinformation on different sites regarding product ingredients has confused a lot of customers.
- Many cats have started vomiting after eating these flavors and then fallen sick if you feed them regularly.
8. Whiskas Tender Bites Favorite Selections Wet Cat Food Pouches
- Manufacturer: Whiskas
- Weight: 3 pounds
- Dimensions: 5 x 7.2 x 5 inches
- Ingredients: Ocean Whitefish, Turkey, Chicken, Beef, Tuna, etc
- Variety of 4 different tasty flavors in one pouch pack makes your life easier.
- Presence of 8% crude oil in every pouch keeps your feline strong and healthy.
- Fulfill your cat’s protein needs effectively.
- Flavor lock pouch helps you in keeping it fresh for your little feline.
- Provides a fresh meal for your feline every time along with ease of serving.
- Is high in protein and balance & complete in all the nutrients.
- Ease of preparing fresh meal through simple instructions.
- Keeps your feline friends digestive system to work smoothly.
- Contains wheat gluten in its ingredients.
- Advertising issues on different sites, as many people complaint that product contains ingredients which shouldn’t be present according to the advertisements.
- Not environment-friendly as the 24 pouches create a lot of waste that harms our environment.
- New formula implemented from July 2018, caused many cats to sniff and even to refuse eating it, which once was their favorite meal.
- The decrease in quality and aroma in the new formula.
9. Ziwi Peak Grain-Free Canned Cat Food Recipe
- Manufacturer: Ziwi Peak
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Dimensions: 1 x 12.5 x 2.3 inches
- Ingredients: Lamb meat, Chicken, Beef, Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids, Green mussels, etc
- Balanced & complete nutrition for all life stages of your fluffy friends.
- Meat sourced from 100% grass-fed animals and fresh seafood.
- Made from 93% fresh meat, bones, green mussels, and organs.
- Are very good for your fluffy friend digestive system as its 95% digestible.
- Exceed the nutrition standards of a benchmark country like New Zealand.
- Made with no grains to provide your feline friend grain-free nutrition.
- Contains no TSPP, BPA, Carrageenan or Agar.
- Free from preservatives, fillers, sugars, corn, rice, and so on.
- Comes in beef, lamb, chicken, mackerel and other delicious flavors.
- High in Omega 3 and 6 Fatty acids.
- Sodium tripolyphosphate a toxic chemical is used to flavor the products in the new formula.
- Many cats don’t like it because of its odor.
- Frequent changes in the recipe have raised many concerns among the customers.
- Price is on the high side in comparison with other available products in the market.
- Not great with cats that have constipation issues.
10. Hill’s Science Diet Wet Cat Food, Adult, Urinary & Hairball Control, Savory Chicken, 24-pack
- Manufacturer: Hill’s Science Diet
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Dimensions: 14 x 10.4 x 3.1 inches
- Ingredients: Chicken, Vitamin E, Omega-6s, etc
- Proudly manufactured in the US, with quality ingredients outsourced globally.
- Made with natural ingredients without the use of any artificial preservatives.
- Optimized levels of magnesium that helps in supporting the urinary system of your fluffy friend.
- Majority of the Veterinarian recommend this product for hairball and urinary problems.
- Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, Vitamin E, and digestible fiber help in reducing hairballs and also nourish the skin.
- The high amount of protein helps your adult cat to maintain its muscle.
- A balanced and nutritionally complete product for your cute grown up feline friend.
- Cats love eating it, which is good as you don’t have to force them to eat, that’s usually the case with medicines.
- Has a very unpleasant odor that can fill your entire place.
- The odor is so strong that even if you keep it on a different level of your house, it will still find its way to you.
Why is wet cat food essential?
A lot of information is available regarding the two types of cat foods, namely wet and dry.
Cat lovers and owners often have the same question, which is better among the two?
Even a lot of the websites and pet magazines makes the answer to this simple question more confusing.
So let us give you the simple answer, that both are equal in benefits for your feline friends.
But a balanced combination of both will give you even better results in regards to your feline health and growth.
As our main topic of discussion is regarding the advantages of wet cat food, let’s discuss them in detail.
Different options for your fluffy friend
Your feline friend just like you will quickly get tired from eating a particular type of food daily for a long time.
Like us, they also seek variety in flavors and taste in their food and will crave for something different if you constantly serve them dry food.
Even worse, they might lose their appetite and become unhappy, which will impact their overall health.
By adding wet cat food to their daily intake, you would give them different option to satisfy their appetite and make them happier.
You can also try giving them a combined meal of both dry and wet food.
Highly digestible and easier to chew
First, consider the chewing part as its difficult for little kittens to chew the hard and crunchy kibbles easily due to their small teeth.
And older cats usually have missing teeth, which makes it difficult for them to chew hard and crunchy dry food.
Secondly, dry cat food alone is not ideal for the cats that have some digestive issues as it’s not easily digestible in comparison with wet food.
The wet cat food really helps in increasing your feline’s appetite, as it’s nutritious, easy to eat, and is highly digestible.
These features make them the ideal choice for all the cats but especially for the younger and elder felines.
Keeps your fluffy’s hydrated
As we know that our cats are famous for their limited moisture intake, which often cause them dehydration issues.
They just don’t drink enough water, no matter how hard you try….
The wet cat food contains a substantial amount of moisture in it, which is ideal for the felines to meet their hydration needs.
This keeps them hydrated and active to play with you, so take out your cat toys your cat is ready for some activity.
It also helps in tackling the urinary tract problem, which is more common in male cats.
The moist formula of wet cat food helps in flushing out the urinary crystals and also prevent them from forming again.
Your Buying Guide for Selecting the Best Wet Cat Food
So you have gained knowledge about the importance of incorporating wet cat food in your feline’s daily diet.
Now, let’s take a look at our complete guide regarding the selection of best-wet cat food.
Yes, we all want to give our cute feline’s the best quality wet food there is, but the critical question is how to decide which is the best one?
There are numerous varieties available in the market; some are for general nutrition, while others are formulated for some specific purposes.
Like some are high in protein and essential nutrients, while some are low in carbohydrates, while some are made for controlling hairballs, and so on.
You will likely find yourself lost with this massive bombardment of products and their different variants.
Have no worry our comprehensive guide will allow you to select the best wet cat food that meets nutritional requirements and fits your budget.
It is also essential to consider the specific requirement of your own feline friend as every cat is different.
Important things to look for in a wet cat food brand
Follow our guide to select the best company to purchase your feline’s wet cat food.
It is of utmost importance to research about the firm before you decide to buy their products to avoid any future regrets.
Prefer the company that has an excellent brand reputation in terms of quality control, reliability, and so on.
It’s always better to do the research yourself than following someone else’s suggestion regarding a particular brand.
Customer reviews in regards to the handling of customers
Treating customers right is the only way to achieve success in the current business era for all companies.
With the increased importance of social media engagement and presence of review websites, unethical companies are finding it hard to survive.
It is necessary for you to research about how a particular brand you have selected, treats its customer during and after the sale.
Like how they respond to any adverse side effects caused by their products, or how quickly they respond to your queries.
Determine the tone of their communication, is it welcoming? How easily can you contact them and get feedback?
Do this with a selected few best brands, and go for the one that best meets your criteria.
Before you trust a company take a lot at its past practices
Likewise, when you research their customer interactions, you’ll get valuable info about their past practices, whether any of them were unethical?
How did they deal with those issues? Do they keep secrets from their customers? Can they be trusted for future business? Have any of their products been recalled due to some problems?
After getting all the necessary information, evaluate them unbiasedly, and give more preference to the companies that tackle these issues in an honest and effective manner.
Important things to consider when purchasing wet cat food
Please follow these instructions carefully to select the best-wet cat food for your beloved fluffy friend.
Your Fluffy friend’s needs
The most important thing is to fully understand your fluffy’s specific dieting needs before you select a particular product.
How to know? Well, let’s say your cat has gained extra weight and you want to get them back in shape, then a product with low caloric intake will be ideal.
Or your cat has some digestive and urinary issues than providing them a specific wet cat food that tackles these problems is the right choice.
If you’re still unsure, consider discussing this issue with your local veterinarian to give your cat a healthy diet.
Composition of Nutrients
It is essential to check the back label of a product to have a detailed look at its nutrition composition before deciding to purchase it.
You can search the internet or discuss with your veterinarian about the best composition in a product.
Generally, the products should contain some fiber, have the fat substance of around 4%, and so on.
But this will vary with each cat, as each has its own unique requirements.
Like giving high-calorie food to an already overweight cat will further increase the weight problem.
Quality of ingredients
Another important thing is to collect moderate information regarding the best quality ingredients used in the products.
The place where they are sourced from and the process of manufacturing is also necessary to know, if possible.
But in general getting to know which ingredients are high in proteins like meat, and others are more important for you.
Presence of some carbohydrates is also essential for our feline carnivores, as they need to have sufficient energy to stay active and healthy.
The required amount of essential vitamins, minerals, and so on in your cat’s diet, should be memorized in your brain.
A higher price doesn’t guarantee higher quality
In general, the higher the price of a product, the higher it will be in quality.
But, beware that’s not necessarily the case with your feline’s nutrition, and your entire focus shouldn’t be on the price factor alone.
Yes, we all want quality food for our feline’s that is great in taste, and they adore it.
Thankfully quality wet cat food is not expensive all the time; you just have to select the best one that fits your cat’s needs.
Focus on the composition of nutrients, the company’s brand image, ingredients, and other practices to select the best one for your fluffy friend.
Things to avoid
Let’s discuss the few things you should definitely avoid when selecting the best-wet cat food for your beloved fluffy friend.
Artificial flavor, color, or preservative
Preservatives are required in order to keep the pet food fresh and healthy for a more extended period of time.
That doesn’t mean we have to make do with the products that contain artificial preservatives.
Fortunately, for you, there are natural preservatives like vitamin C & E that keeps the food healthy and safe for more extended periods.
Avoid artificial preservatives like BHA, BHT, and so on when making a purchasing decision.
For the artificial color and flavors, it’s recommended to avoid especially for cats with allergies and sensitive health.
First, identify the elements that cause allergic reactions in your cats through proper diagnosis.
Then make sure the products you purchase are free from those substances like grain, corn, gluten, which are the common culprits for the allergic reactions.
Keep your pet happy and healthy by avoiding allergic substances in their daily meal intake.
How can I improve my cat’s health?
Follow these quick tips to improve your cat’s diet.
- Incorporate more canned food than kibble in their diet
- Identify and accommodate for your feline’s specific needs
- Understanding guaranteed analysis on the pet food labels
- Avoid foods that contain harmful and toxic substances
- Always change their diet gradually, if absolutely necessary
- Keep them in shape by monitoring their weight
- Feed them in frequent small portions, instead of free feeding
- Use interactive toys like puzzle feeders
- Ensure the availability of fresh water for your cat
- Keep the litter box away from their food and water bowls
- Keep their nutrition and water bowls neat and clean
Is cooked chicken good for cats?
Our felines are carnivores, which means they eat meat, plain and simple.
The protein they obtain from meat helps in building a strong heart foundation, clearer vision, and a healthy reproductive system.
They are numerous other high protein options than chicken meat like beef, turkey, and so on to meet their protein requirements.
They should be served cooked, as spoiled or raw meat can make your cat sick, and cause other health issues.
Should I follow the feeding recommendations on my pet food?
In general, the caloric intake of a grown-up cat is around 25 to 35 calories for each pound of body weight daily.
And fortunately, almost all the brands available in the market recommend feeding that amount to your feline friend.
So, yes, it’s okay to follow their recommendation on a general level.
But for specific cases, like if you want to reduce the weight of your feline than the caloric intake should be less.
And it should be more for cats who are a bit skinny.
Ideally, an adult cat should be fed twice per day, while the kittens and nursing cats should be fed around three to four times.