Everyone loves goldfish crackers. They’re fun, delicious, fish-shaped cheese crackers and make a great snack! While humans love eating goldfish crackers, they might not be the best for your pet.
Goldfish crackers are not the healthiest or safest treat for dogs. They can only tolerate small amounts given occasionally.
So, why aren’t goldfish crackers safe for your dog? Let’s find out.
Can Dogs Eat Goldfish Crackers?
According to the manufacturer’s label, goldfish crackers contain onion powder and less than 2% unlisted, generic spices. It’s not a large amount, but onion and garlic are both toxic for your pet dog. If your precious dog consumes a few Goldfish crackers by accident, they will be just fine. However, if you suspect your dog ate many goldfish crackers and has signs of food poisoning, you should contact your local vet as soon as possible.
Toxic Goldfish Cracker Ingredients
Some ingredients found in Goldfish crackers are toxic for your dog. These include:
Goldfish crackers have 250 mg of sodium per serving. We know your dog isn’t likely to have 55 crackers at one time, but those tiny fish add up quickly. Salt is toxic to dogs if consumed in high quantities. It’s not a good idea to share salty foods like pretzels or Goldfish crackers with your dog. Eating excessive salt can make your dog sick and cause dehydration.
It can also lead to sodium ion poisoning. Symptoms of too much salt include:
- High temperature
- Increased thirst
If your dog has any of these symptoms, please consult your vet immediately.
Keep onions – powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated — away from your pet dog. They can damage your dog’s red blood cells and cause anemia. Goldfish crackers contain onion powder, and eating a lot can cause poisoning.
All parts of the onion or the onion plant are toxic to dogs, including the leaves, flesh, juice, and processed powders. Fried or powdered onions and the allium family (garlic, leeks, shallots, and chives) are harmful to dogs.
It only takes 100 grams of onion (a medium onion) per 20 kilograms of a dog’s weight to cause harmful effects. Onion powder found in goldfish crackers is even more potent than fresh onions. Most dogs would happily devour a bowl of unattended goldfish crackers, so it is a serious concern for pet owners.
Onion Toxicity Symptoms
If you think your dog may have eaten too many crackers, here a few symptoms to look out for:
- Pale gums
- Decreased appetite
- Reddish urine
The ASPCA also lists elevated heart rate, vomiting, and panting as onion toxicity signs. If your dog has any of these symptoms, the best thing you can do is to get him to a veterinary hospital. Your vet will diagnose your dog’s condition based on blood work. Your vet might detect the formation of Heinz bodies or hemolytic anemia on a blood smear.
The smell of roasted garlic in goldfish crackers can make anyone hungry. It’s popular in cuisines around the globe and is found in many of our favorite processed snacks. Scientific evidence even suggests that garlic has many benefits for humans, so it’s natural for you to wonder: Can my dog eat garlic?
The answer is no.
Garlic seasoning enhances the taste of goldfish crackers, but it is toxic to dogs. It might be good for humans, but dogs metabolize foods differently than we do. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, garlic and other allium family spices contain thiosulfate, which is toxic to dogs.
Thiosulfate causes damage to red blood cells and results in hemolytic anemia.
Garlic Toxicity Symptoms
Symptoms of garlic toxicity include:
- Pale mucous membranes
- Rapid, shallow breathing
- Dark-colored urine.
It may also cause gastrointestinal upset symptoms, including diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, dehydration, and depression.
Studies show that it takes 15 to 30 grams of garlic per kilogram of a dog’s body weight to produce harmful effects. Garlic powder is more potent than fresh garlic and can make your dog sick. Some dogs are more sensitive to garlic than others.
A few goldfish crackers may not cause any harm, but it’s a problem if your dog eats an entire bag.
My Dog Ate Too Many Goldfish Crackers – What To Do?
If your dog ate too many crackers, give him plenty of water to wash down the toxic ingredients. Watch out for any toxicity symptoms mentioned in this guide. If your dog has any of those signs, don’t waste time and consult your vet immediately.
Treating a Dog with Toxicity
Your veterinarian might use different treatments to stabilize your dog and help him recover. They may flush your dog’s stomach or induce vomiting to remove the remaining toxins. Some vets may administer activated charcoal to absorb the toxins in the gut. They may also give intravenous fluids to help flush your dog’s bloodstream and maintain hydration levels. Then, your dog will be monitored closely until the body starts producing healthy red blood cells again.
In severe poisoning cases, a full blood transfusion and oxygen supplementation and may be necessary. This might not be the case if your dog only ate a few goldfish crackers.
Other Snacks to Avoid
Here are other common snacks to avoid:
Raisins are a sweet addition to our cereal bowls, but they’re toxic to our best friend. Grape products are among the most toxic foods for dogs, and consumption can lead to organ failure and even death.
Keep grapes, grape juice, and raisins far away from your pet.
It’s tempting to give your pup a lick of your ice-cream on a hot day, and chances are, a little ice-cream won’t hurt. But large quantities of ice cream are a no-no for pet dogs. The dairy content can cause severe gastrointestinal trouble (i.e., vomiting and diarrhea), and the sugar content is too high for them. Also, commercially-produced ice cream may contain nut traces, chocolate, and other substances that are toxic to your dog. Thankfully, there are plenty of pet-friendly frozen treats available!
Almonds are hard to digest properly and can damage your pet’s esophagus and stomach. Pecans left out too long may develop a dangerous toxin, and macadamia nuts are just poisonous. Mixed nuts are healthy for us humans but keep them away from your dog.
Avocados are delicious food for humans, but they can be problematic for dogs. The potential presence of persin in avocados can cause stomach upset in dogs. Persin occurs in the leaves of the plant. While persin isn’t poisonous to dogs, it’s best to be careful when feeding your dog avocado.
Guacamole also contains garlic and onions, which can cause gastrointestinal distress and anemia in dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can dogs eat a Ritz cracker?
Just like Goldfish crackers, Ritz crackers are harmless as long as they are given in small amounts. Ritz Crackers contain high concentrations of fat, salt, oil, and carbohydrates. These ingredients are fine if they are present in your dog’s diet in small amounts. If they are present in large quantities, they can cause many problems.
Is cheese toxic for dogs?
Cheese is fine for dogs, but you need to keep a couple of things in mind. Firstly, make sure that your pup isn’t lactose intolerant. If your pup is lactose intolerant, look for something other than cheese. Secondly, choose cheese with low-fat quantities. Most cheese types are high in fat, which isn’t ideal for dogs and can cause weight gain.
Can dogs eat tuna?
Tuna is not poisonous to dogs, and a small amount will not cause mercury poisoning. If you own multiple pets, make sure your dog isn’t eating cat food containing tuna. Consuming tuna in excessive quantities can cause health issues for your dog.
Can my dog eat bananas?
Yes. Bananas are a great alternative to other processed snacks.