Every now and then, you might find a bug in your house. You will find many pest control products on the market to easily be rid of them. Usually, the easiest solution is to use a spray like Raid that kills ants, cockroaches, bed bugs, and various flying insects. However, if you have a pet or children at home, you probably wonder if Raid is unsafe for them. While it is the simplest thing you do, you don’t want to expose your pet to any toxins.
Before you buy some Raid Ant and Roach Killer for your home, you should be aware if it is harmful for your pet.
What Is Raid?
Raid is a pest control product that comes in the form of a spray. It comes in various scents and a fragrance-free version is also available. It is effective against ants, cockroaches, bed bugs, and numerous flying insects such as crickets and mosquitoes. According to the site, Raid leaves no lingering chemical odor and the residue can continue killing pests for up to four weeks.
The active ingredients in Raid somewhat vary based on type and scent. An active ingredient is what is responsible for killing pests. Most commonly, Raid products contain active ingredients such as Cypermethrin and Imiprothrin. The other ingredients in Raid are Ammonium Benzoate, Isopropanol, Petroleum Distillate, Isobutane, Propane, Sorbitan Oleate, water, and fragrance (optional).
The two active ingredients in Raid are Cypermethrin and Imiprothrin. These fall in the Pyrethrin/Pyrethroid family of pesticides. These insecticides are naturally derived from the Chrysanthemum flower but synthetic forms also exist. Cypermethrin is a natural form of Pyrethrin, while Imiprothrin is a synthetic Pyrethroid.
According to VCA Hospitals, whether Pyrethrin/Pyrethroids are toxic to pets depends on various reasons. Dogs are generally not as sensitive as cats, but they can also show symptoms of poisoning after ingesting the product. However, fish are very sensitive to these chemicals and can die from the smallest exposure. VCA Hospitals recommends removing fish tanks or covering them with non-porous materials before using Raid. Cats are also very sensitive to Pyrethroids, so ensure they do not come in contact with the spray.
In comparison, dogs are not as sensitive to these chemicals. They are present in most topical flea/tick ointments in high concentrations. Many pet parents use these ointments on dogs without any serious problems. Raid and other insecticide sprays contain a lower concentration of these chemicals. Exposure to them won’t cause any serious symptoms for your pet unless they ingest it.
If your dog does ingest Raid by licking a spot where it was sprayed, he will develop symptoms an hour after ingestion. The symptoms are as follows:
Lack of appetite
Dogs that are more sensitive or ingest a large amount can develop serious symptoms. These include tremors, shaking, disorientation, incoordination, weakness, and seizures.
Using Raid near your pets is also inadvisable. These chemicals can cause skin reactions when sprayed directly onto or near pets. Agitation, itchiness, vocalization, and paresthesia are caused by skin exposure.
Tips To Use Raid Safely Around Pets
Raid is harmful for pets if they come in contact with it or ingest it. While dogs are not as sensitive as cats or fish, it is necessary to take some precautions. Knowing that the spray contains harmful ingredients, you should be extra careful to prevent any exposure. Use the following tips to keep your pet safe:
Keep Products Out Of Reach
Keep any products that contain harmful ingredients out of your pet’s reach. This includes cleaning solutions, insecticide sprays, and various other household supplies. Keep things away or locked in a place that your pet cannot access. Do not leave them on countertops or tables where your pet could reach them.
You will have to be even more diligent if you a particularly curious or persistent pet. Many pets are intelligent and may figure out how to access these products. Additionally, secure your garbage disposal so your pet does not sniff wipes with the product on it.
Ventilation is very important when using products like Raid. Open windows to let out any fumes and ensure your pet does not enter the room. If you are using a fogger, your pets will need to leave the house for at least four hours and let it air out for thirty minutes. Never spray Raid onto your pet or close to them. Cats are highly sensitive and even a small amount could trigger a severe reaction.
Pets Away During Use
Ensure your pet has vacated the room while you are using Raid. Even while you are there, your pet could walk over a surface you just sprayed. Their paws and fur, which they will lick at some point, can come in contact with the solution. When you are done spraying, wait fifteen minutes and open the windows. If you have successfully killed a few bugs or spilled some, you can wipe the surface. This can reduce the risk of possible irritation.
A great alternative to using Raid is hiring a professional exterminator. In case you have an infestation, you will need to hire one. For the few bugs you might see every now and then, you can use preventative measures. Bugs can enter your home through gaps and cracks to look for food. Make sure you seal and door and window cracks. Wipe away food scraps after eating and secure leftovers in airtight containers.
It is impossible to keep your house completely bug-free, so you will need to use products like Raid every now and then. However, you can reduce the chances of bugs entering your home by using some preventative measures. If pests still enter your home despite taking precautions, be cautious when using these products around your pets. Raid is only unsafe for pets when ingested but can cause skin irritation. If you suspect your pet has ingested it, consult your veterinarian immediately before symptoms start to show. Quick and effective treatment can prevent the development of severe symptoms.